House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Cbi Report Brings Fresh Pressure On University Students To Pay More

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/e...icle6842065.ece

Students should pay higher interest rates on their loans and have their maintenance grants scaled back even if tuition fees rise, a report says today.

A year-long review of funding by business leaders and vice-chancellors, set up by the CBI, urges ministers to abandon their target of getting half of young people into university. The focus must be on the quality not quantity of students, it states, and more of the cost must fall to undergraduates because the taxpayer cannot afford the current system.

The group said that it appeared inevitable that tuition fees would rise, after a government review due to start this autumn concludes next year. Many believe that fees, now £3,000 a year, could double. The review goes farther, however, proposing that current low interest rates are scrapped and that students are charged at the rate of the Government’s cost of borrowing, rather than the rate of inflation.

It also says that fewer students should qualify for maintenance grants, which help the neediest with the cost of living while at university. Full grants should be limited to students whose family income is below £17,910, rather than £25,000 currently, and partial grants limited to families earning up to £38,000, rather than £50,000.

Increasing student debt now that should increase demand for products and services in the future. Give them higher debt so they have less money to spend in the economy.

These CBI fellows have good economic sense.

Increasing student debt now that should increase demand for products and services in the future. Give them higher debt so they have less money to spend in the economy.

Unless they are lucky or something like University spin-offs most new start-up companies require a collection of individuals willing and able to take lean and often irregular salaries and use their free time at zero cost to have any chance of succeeding.

The CBI in encouraging the housing bubble and more debt, in this case student debt are likely to ensure the above is increasingly difficult, nay impossible.

We is fecked.

A study set up by 'business leaders and VICE CHANCELLORS'.

That is as self-interested a clique as you could encounter.

These Vice Cancellors are little princes in their fairytale castles, accountable to no-one.

They have ripped off a generation by selling degrees which have been debased in quality and which are a measure only of each university department's academic vanity.

Liar Degrees!!!

Imprtove the product or die.

Hang on a minute, surely if the percentage of people going to university drops from 50% to a sensible level that would cut costs too?

Oh but i guess that would mean less universities, and less chancellors in jobs.

Meh.

Start being honest and let the kids realise that university isn't a guaranteed job or increased income for everyone, and vocational work is best learnt on the job. Student Loan and Tuition fees just about cancel eachother out - scrap both and all the bloody admin of managing both.

After thats been going for a few years see how expensive things are with just people who really want to go to university actually go.

FWIW i think anyone that wants to go should work full time for a year or two to save up the money first - teaches you the value of money, and really really makes you realise you don't want to stack shelves in tescos for the rest of your life - might make a lot of students try harder!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
We are constantly told that people with a degree earn more than people without. So on that basis, the feckers should pay the proper rate for the privilege.

Change my tyre.

We are constantly told that people with a degree earn more than people without. So on that basis, the feckers should pay the proper rate for the privilege.

That's why income tax is a percentage.. automatically meaning that the more a person makes as a result of their education, the more they pay. It's possible to argue for a graduate tax (perhaps added to the 40% band?, or a separate band coming in at about £25k), so people who don't go to uni don't pay, but up-front tuition fees with the huge loans implied are just another form of class warfare.

That's why income tax is a percentage.. automatically meaning that the more a person makes as a result of their education, the more they pay. It's possible to argue for a graduate tax (perhaps added to the 40% band?, or a separate band coming in at about £25k), so people who don't go to uni don't pay, but up-front tuition fees with the huge loans implied are just another form of class warfare.

£38k of debt for a fairly average medical student.

That's why income tax is a percentage.. automatically meaning that the more a person makes as a result of their education, the more they pay.

No, that's wrong. I haven't got a degree but I have been paying the top rate for years. If people want the supposed benefits that having a degree bring then they should pay for it. Being generous I would keep the bit about them not having to start making payments until they hit a certain income, but i don't see why I should have to pay for people to doss around for a few years.

No, that's wrong. I haven't got a degree but I have been paying the top rate for years. If people want the supposed benefits that having a degree bring then they should pay for it. Being generous I would keep the bit about them not having to start making payments until they hit a certain income, but i don't see why I should have to pay for people to doss around for a few years.

Paint my kitchen.

Because the idea (rightly or wrong) is that this is an investment in the standard of the Uk's workforce. If we do not have affordable Universities we turn into a third world country lowering eveyones standard of living. Of course whether the Universities are doing this is another question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educa...d-pay-more.html

Student loans, which are subsidised by the Government at present, should be charged at commercial interest rates – significantly increasing the amount graduates will repay;

Cheeky bastards. Do they mean the commercial 0.5% the banks pay, or the commercial 17% of a credit card loan.

If this goes through then the only people to go to university will be those too stupid to understand compound interest, or lucky enough to have rich parents. Oh, or poor enough to be on benefits.

Guest happy?

Quite right too. In my experience students are a bunch of drunken freeloaders who give little in return. Make them pay their way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educa...d-pay-more.html

Student loans, which are subsidised by the Government at present, should be charged at commercial interest rates – significantly increasing the amount graduates will repay;

Cheeky bastards. Do they mean the commercial 0.5% the banks pay, or the commercial 17% of a credit card loan.

If this goes through then the only people to go to university will be those too stupid to understand compound interest, or lucky enough to have rich parents. Oh, or poor enough to be on benefits.

These proposals are total madness . We shold be evaluating the amount of places and the cost effectiveness of universities

Stuff the students!

just watched a report on Sky news and non of the students are white and i mean none.

when i went to Uni in Leicester it was bad with 80% non whites and when it was time to go down to the office to pay fees i was about the only one to stand up.

don't ask me how many doctors are black but it's a dam site higher then represtented by the general population and put's paid to immigrants doing jobs we don't want to do.

We might get hyper inflation but it will be deflation when it comes to wages as i see it.

Why should i give a fart what colour university students are?

Like the immigration policies or not, the time to do anything about it is long past. Any kid going to university here now is just as english as you are, no matter what the colour. Or maybe they would be more integrated if they were made to feel a bit more welcome..

Ah, another student-bashing topic..

Good to see you old grumblies out in force, was getting worried that the cod liver oil wouldn't be enough to get you back on your zimmers. ;)

As a recent graduate, I'm doing fine, yes the debt is bloody massive, yes I'm bloody lucky to actually be earning money.

No, some of my colleagues are not employed.. the year before us had an 80% employment rate straight out of uni, this year has 20%.

No, the currently unemployed graduates do not need to be charged 17% on their £15,000+ loans each year, they're in a crappy enough situation already.

I take major issue with the suggestion that all recent graduates got given a degree for tying their shoelaces. As it always has been, some students are there to learn and do well, others are not and don't.

Or can any of you crusties seriously say, with a straight face, that when you were at uni, absolutely no-one was there to get drunk and party and they were all there to work as hard as they possibly could?

Why not go the whole hog and charge fees for primary and secondary education as well? After all those who can read and write earn more than those who can't.

Good to see you old grumblies out in force, was getting worried that the cod liver oil wouldn't be enough to get you back on your zimmers. ;)

As a recent graduate, I'm doing fine, yes the debt is bloody massive, yes I'm bloody lucky to actually be earning money.

No, some of my colleagues are not employed.. the year before us had an 80% employment rate straight out of uni, this year has 20%.

No, the currently unemployed graduates do not need to be charged 17% on their £15,000+ loans each year, they're in a crappy enough situation already.

I take major issue with the suggestion that all recent graduates got given a degree for tying their shoelaces. As it always has been, some students are there to learn and do well, others are not and don't.

Or can any of you crusties seriously say, with a straight face, that when you were at uni, absolutely no-one was there to get drunk and party and they were all there to work as hard as they possibly could?

As i thought at university, and as i still think now having had to recruit graduates, i still value the person who went to university, got a 2:1/desmond but got drunk, was social, joined societies and had a laugh over the bloke that did nothing but study and got a 1st.

To be fair there are some people that did both, but in my case i decided there were sacrifices to be made to get a 1st that i did not think were worth making. University is not just about education.

The 60s and 70s were terribly tough, some people felt the need to get a cash in hand job to supplement the dole and housing benefit through the holidays when they'd run out of maintenance grant money.

The 60s and 70s were terribly tough, some people felt the need to get a cash in hand job to supplement the dole and housing benefit through the holidays when they'd run out of maintenance grant money.

CBI still looking for someone else to pay their training costs, now that the magic inflation and tax fairy can't do it for them.

Assholes.

Some thoughts on student debt:

Lets assume that these proposals go through and the average student leaves uni with say £40,000 of debt.

£40,000 invested in the stock market for 44 years (age 21 to retirement at 65) would be worth £360,000 if it grew at 5% per annum or a whacking great £840,000 if it grew at 7% p/a.

The usually quoted figure is £400,000 extra earnings (and £200,000 tax) over a lifetime i.e. a net £200,000. This is however deceptive since those who go to uni are (generally) going to be brighter and better earners/workers than those who don't.

I can't see the point of university at all - you'd be better off going straight out to work with good A-levels. To me it now seems worth it only if you have very rich parents who can subsidise you for most of the amount.

So the class warriors in the labour party are going to end up making higher education the preserve of the very rich.

Well done tossers. :angry:

CBI still looking for someone else to pay their training costs, now that the magic inflation and tax fairy can't do it for them.

Assholes.

Yes.

And the education that will eventually be gained in large part will be useless for many as there is a mismatch between the type of courses taken and the required skillsets.

Mind you, whilst the young workforce were MIA (missing in academia) then they could moan and groan about skills shortages and bargain fro CHEAP migrant labour to fill the gap.

Total con trick all around. Feel very sorry for the younger generation, the dish getting served up is getting smellier and less nutritious by the day.