Devon Barn For Auction Next Thursday

johnny5thumbs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. They got my email address on the promise of sending that :angry:

Curiouser and curiouser :blink:

That cottage shows as "still available" on the auction results page. So I went in to the local branch of Fulfords to see if I could find out more.

They don't have the information, but they 'phoned Totnes, who told them it wasn't sold at auction, but they'd had an offer well in excess of £300k after the auction.

When I originally enquired (of the Totnes branch on IIRC 8th September), they told me they'd had offers above the guide price. Which is why I couldn't be arsed to go and view the place, especially when they promised but never sent me the HIP.

Does this kind of thing happen, or is the agent up to something dodgy?

p.s., your barn sold for £34,500, and the other two places I'd contemplated one sold prior and the other at well above guide price.

Edited by porca misèria

That cottage shows as "still available" on the auction results page. So I went in to the local branch of Fulfords to see if I could find out more.

They don't have the information, but they 'phoned Totnes, who told them it wasn't sold at auction, but they'd had an offer well in excess of £300k after the auction.

When I originally enquired (of the Totnes branch on IIRC 8th September), they told me they'd had offers above the guide price. Which is why I couldn't be arsed to go and view the place, especially when they promised but never sent me the HIP.

p.s., your barn sold for £34,500, and the other two places I'd contemplated one sold prior and the other at well above guide price.

Yep - I noticed. Didn't bother going to bid in the end since I wanted the barn for regular access, and with its restrictive covenants, the barn is no use to anyone except fror storing a caravan / boat or something used occasionally. Getting the covenant lifted would be difficult and unlikely since the barn is abutted on 3 sides by access roads within the estate - no chance of merging with sonmeone's garden in the future with subsequent conversion possibilities, or persuading the good inhabitants of the estate that more regular access would do anything other than work against their interests (IMO).

Regarding £250k Berry Pomeroy cottage, I suspect the reserve was a fair bit more than 250k - more like 300k - 325k, so it'll be interesting to see Land Reg. figures if a sale has been agreed.

If you didn't pay your £10 / £20, then you'd never get your legal pack, regardless of what Jason might have told you. I chased him for two weeks, and finally had the legal pack CD sent urgently 7 days before the auction date - not from Fulfords, but from West Country Auctions.

I'd say that it's a normal state of affairs - only dodgy in the sense that sending out a couple of hundred legal pack CD's at £10 a pop is a nice little earner for the auctioneer. And I guess that they'd be hoping that there'd always be a few 'hopefuls' who'd bid prices up, blind, becausde they hadn't forked out their £10. Dangerous stuff - having seen how shot full of holes title of auction properties can be.

• 7 months later...

I haven't time to send the photo to photobucket or similar, but here's the link

http://www.fulfords.co.uk/content/009_Resu...0219-1251966851

Big barn for sale. Price guide 20k. Size is even bigger than details state, with high eaves, lovely big front and back doors.

Only one problem - right of way limited to max. 26 times per year. Jason, from Fulfords was clear on the fact that it wasn't really a prospect for house conversion, but was strangely reticent as to why. So, you've got to pay £10 (CD) or £20 (paper) for the 70 page legal pack to find this out. Plus, of course your solicitor's costs to read through the whole pack.

Shouldn't something as draconian as "access either on foot or by motor vehicle limited to no more than 26 times per annum" be clearly spelt out as a key fact, and not buried deep in the legal document? I feel sure that Fulfords knew about the restriction, but are silent on the subject.

Dirty dealings, or fair game? What do HPC'ers think ?

Not that one again - I know it well. I viewed it with my intended about 15 years ago. Its at the back of Totnes highstreet. I think it was on the market for about the same then. I always wondered why the person who bought it did nothing with it.

OOPs - confused it with one almost identical. I used to live within spitting distance from the actual one (Buckfastleigh) in the details - same comment applies though! :rolleyes: (That is someone bought it a while back, 8 years ago I think. It was about the same price as I remember and it seems that nobody has been able to develop this one either).

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

• 1 month later...

Looks like the agent has been telling Big Porkies - another search reveals it's still on the market.

Wonder if there's any legal comeback against a less-than-honest EA? Have to say though, I've lost my appetite for this property unless it appears through another EA.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like the agent has been telling Big Porkies - another search reveals it's still on the market.

Wonder if there's any legal comeback against a less-than-honest EA? Have to say though, I've lost my appetite for this property unless it appears through another EA.

Looks like it eventually fetched £300k - in March 2011.

30 months on the market with a failed auction in the middle.