House Price Crash Forum

Devon Barn For Auction Next Thursday

johnny5thumbs

You planning to be at that auction? Not planning to bid (and certainly not on a barn with no planning permission), but I'm hoping to make it, and get a flavour of the property auction. Oh, and three places I might followup if they're unsold - though that's unlikely - if I'm interested, I expect others will be too!

Well, I was planning on attending until I saw the legal pack. Prev. owner paid 35k for it 2 years ago. Apparently, he only bothered to collect the keys for the first time recently - now I realise why. I actually only wanted tghe barn for storage, but blowed if I'm going to be restricted to using it once a fortnight. Great if you need to store a couiple of classic cars through the winter, but not much good for anything else ? Any suggestions?

Nothing else I'm interested in - a nice house on the edge of Totnes with attached barn, failed to sell at 400k, 375k, 350k - now estimated guide of 250k. Busy main road outside is the chief deterrent.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on who has the benefit of the covenant, it could be removed by agreement. Failing that the lands tribunal and £25k in legal fees may do the job. Worth a punt if you want a crappy barn in a village of dimwits.

Do you know Buckfastleigh, or are you just being kind? ;)

Barn itself is def. not crappy - in another location, 100k +

Can you post that in more detail? How about access by neither of the above? As a cyclist, that would suit me fine ;)

Sorry, porca - I miquoted before. here is the exact wording. The entire legal pack is in JPEG format, so I can't just cut and paste text, and I def. can't be ar*ed to photobucket it.

"(d) a right of way (in common with the Buyer and all others entitled thereto on foot and with vehicles over the access shown edged blue...)"

So cycles are out, I'm afraid. Pogo sticks maybe.

Edited by johnny5thumbs

Well, I was planning on attending until I saw the legal pack. Prev. owner paid 35k for it 2 years ago. Apparently, he only bothered to collect the keys for the first time recently - now I realise why. I actually only wanted tghe barn for storage, but blowed if I'm going to be restricted to using it once a fortnight. Great if you need to store a couiple of classic cars through the winter, but not much good for anything else ? Any suggestions?

Nothing else I'm interested in - a nice house on the edge of Totnes with attached barn, failed to sell at 400k, 375k, 350k - now estimated guide of 250k. Busy main road outside is the chief deterrent.

How about buying it and putting up a big mobile telephone mast with a decent rental income each year.

I'm sure the owner would be pleased with his (her) master plan then

Bankside

Shouldn't something as draconian as "access either on foot or by motor vehicle limited to no more than 26 times per annum" be clearly spelt out as a key fact, and not buried deep in the legal document? I feel sure that Fulfords knew about the restriction, but are silent on the subject.

Dirty dealings, or fair game? What do HPC'ers think ?

Not fair at all, but it's not as if anyone is surprised. (Many thanks for pointing it out though)

I would be interested to know who would enforce the right of way, especially seeing as it is possible to drive right up to the barn. The link sounds like it would be an uphill struggle to enforce, and probably not cheap:

http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dtl/index.c...e=A76076BD34460

Regarding remedies, interdict is a possible remedy in Scotland as in England & Wales. However, it should be noted that this remedy is discretionary and the person asking for interdict must show the likelihood of future trespass before the court will award interdict. Interdict for straying animals is also not available unless the animal is of a type normally, and easily, confined. In addition, it is possible to exercise self help, but this must not be too vigorous or it may constitute a civil or criminal wrong. Finally, damages can occasionally be obtained but liability is not strict and the normal delictual tests must first be satisfied.

Heh, that's one of the three I mentioned. Thought it was set back a bit from the road?

Anyway, agent says they've already had offers over guide price. Agent also didn't send me sellers pack as promised. So I ain't spending more time and effort following that up unless it fails to sell.

The curtain-twitchers of Hoskins Court. This is Buckfastleigh !

Ahhh thought that was the place, so its the farm then? (Just found it on Google Maps).

You can bet your life that the Farmer will stick to the access constraints. What was it before.. former Electricity sub station building?

Heh, that's one of the three I mentioned. Thought it was set back a bit from the road?

Anyway, agent says they've already had offers over guide price. Agent also didn't send me sellers pack as promised. So I ain't spending more time and effort following that up unless it fails to sell.

The agent never does send you the pack. After chasing him for almost 2 weks, their position altered to "the pack is now available from the auctioneers", who prompty trousered a £10 fee for sending me a CD. You can drive to their Exmouth office (50 miles from the auction venue) if you want to view the legal packs free.

The garden of the 250k Totnes farmhouse/barn abuts the main road, even though the access drive to the house itself is set slightly back from the main road which is the VERY busy main through access between Plymouth / Totnes and Torbay. Not great peace of mind if you've got a toddler like we have. The 250k is probably a bit of a 'come-on' price - they'l be hoping for 300k +.

weedhouse9.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

You might jest, but this town earned itself the title of heroin capital of Devon about 10 years ago with a reputed 20 - 25 regular users - not bad for a population of 2000.

Maybe the skunk factory coupled with Bankside's phone mast suggestion. And a helipad installed on the roof.

(edit : town, not village)

Edited by johnny5thumbs

The agent never does send you the pack. After chasing him for almost 2 weks, their position altered to "the pack is now available from the auctioneers", who prompty trousered a £10 fee for sending me a CD. You can drive to their Exmouth office (50 miles from the auction venue) if you want to view the legal packs free.

The garden of the 250k Totnes farmhouse/barn abuts the main road, even though the access drive to the house itself is set slightly back from the main road which is the VERY busy main through access between Plymouth / Totnes and Torbay. Not great peace of mind if you've got a toddler like we have. The 250k is probably a bit of a 'come-on' price - they'l be hoping for 300k +.

Heh. They got my email address on the promise of sending that :angry:

Not having small sprogs, I'm not so concerned about the road, provided it's just set back far enough that the pollution and noise won't be overwhelming. The picture seems to show a generous lawn in front of it as well as all the greenery on the house itself ... unless of course that apparently-front aspect is not road-facing?

Heh. They got my email address on the promise of sending that :angry:

Not having small sprogs, I'm not so concerned about the road, provided it's just set back far enough that the pollution and noise won't be overwhelming. The picture seems to show a generous lawn in front of it as well as all the greenery on the house itself ... unless of course that apparently-front aspect is not road-facing?

Yes - the garden is quite a decent size, compared to most Totnes gardens anyway. I've done an external viewing - it doesn't look bad overall, apart from the constant main road noise / pollution aspect - particularly bad in the summer.

Yes - the garden is quite a decent size, compared to most Totnes gardens anyway. I've done an external viewing - it doesn't look bad overall, apart from the constant main road noise / pollution aspect - particularly bad in the summer.

Why are you looking in the most expensive/w*nker saturated part of Devon?

You might jest, but this town earned itself the title of heroin capital of Devon about 10 years ago with a reputed 20 - 25 regular users - not bad for a population of 2000.

Do they have the only methadone dispensing chemist for miles around?

In Manchester they don't have them in the centre (or didn't used to) so addicts decide to live near the chemists that do their daily dose. That meant areas had disproportional numbers of smack heads.

(I think it's one of the vital parts of creating sink estates to have a methadone chemist.)

Edited by SarahBell

No land - just a right of way 26 times per year.

How did you know about the idiots? Did you know about the webbed feet too ?

Joking aside, there are some nice people living there as well as inbred locals. Totnes isn't big enough to squeeze in all the artists, poets, potters etc, so Buckfastleigh is an overspill area.

But my question is ... should the EA really be burying something like "26 times per year access" deep in the legal pack?

If picture of the barn... the word devon .... and the price £20,000 weren't enough to scare people off then they perhaps its about time they were relieved of their hard won cash.

Without knowing the details... I suspect this is being put forward for someone to take a punt on.... they will try and raise the restricition and perhaps try and get permission for holiday accomodation or a shop or some such.. if it really has no land at all then residential looks unlikely..... then again the person buying might feel they can do a deal with neighbours etc, it may even be bought by a neighbour.

Do I think its wrong for the agent not to highlight it... no..... anyone buying it should have bought the legal pack and reviewed it, if they didn't thats their lookout.

Does a horse count as "on foot"...?

I haven't time to send the photo to photobucket or similar, but here's the link

http://www.fulfords.co.uk/content/009_Resu...0219-1251966851

Big barn for sale. Price guide 20k. Size is even bigger than details state, with high eaves, lovely big front and back doors.

Only one problem - right of way limited to max. 26 times per year. Jason, from Fulfords was clear on the fact that it wasn't really a prospect for house conversion, but was strangely reticent as to why. So, you've got to pay £10 (CD) or £20 (paper) for the 70 page legal pack to find this out. Plus, of course your solicitor's costs to read through the whole pack.

Shouldn't something as draconian as "access either on foot or by motor vehicle limited to no more than 26 times per annum" be clearly spelt out as a key fact, and not buried deep in the legal document? I feel sure that Fulfords knew about the restriction, but are silent on the subject.

Dirty dealings, or fair game? What do HPC'ers think ?

Edited by bootfair

I suspect the ownwer of the barn is the house next door, who own the parking spaces in font of the barn which they plan to keep, and are hoping no-one notices that they are only allowing access 26 times a year and will have to cough up more later.

Also worth noting, a conversion is IMPOSSIBLE if you can only access it 26 times a year... how many trips in-and out will the builders need to take?

Why are you looking in the most expensive/w*nker saturated part of Devon?

What's your problem Dom? Were you once spurned by a female vegan or summink? You've done nothing but heap abuse on every post you've made on this thread. Totnes is a great place to live, so go and post your moaning rants elsewhere, you miserable *&%$.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

What's your problem Dom? Were you once spurned by a female vegan or summink? You've done nothing but heap abuse on every post you've made on this thread. Totnes is a great place to live, so go and post your moaning rants elsewhere, you miserable *&%$.

It's a turd. A dreamers snare. What's your problem more to the point.

I expect he's just jealous of living in a lively town with lots going on and a vibrant community, England's best(?) river for playing on and in, the coast and the moor nearby, great transport links, etc.

Frankly, so am I.

(I wasn't quite clear whether he's trying to be rude about Totnes, Buckfastleigh or both, but I'll guess he meant Totnes from the comment about it being expensive).

It's a turd. A dreamers snare. What's your problem more to the point.

So let us all in on the secret - where exactly do you live, Dom? Must be somewhere really nice - much better than one of Britain's top 10 funkiest towns. Or maybe you hate musicians.

http://www.totnesonline.com/index.php

What's my problem? None really, except your incessant sneering. Get a life no. 211 !

:lol: