House Price Crash Forum

Devon Barn For Auction Next Thursday

HOLA441

I haven't time to send the photo to photobucket or similar, but here's the link

http://www.fulfords.co.uk/content/009_Resu...0219-1251966851

Big barn for sale. Price guide 20k. Size is even bigger than details state, with high eaves, lovely big front and back doors.

Only one problem - right of way limited to max. 26 times per year. Jason, from Fulfords was clear on the fact that it wasn't really a prospect for house conversion, but was strangely reticent as to why. So, you've got to pay £10 (CD) or £20 (paper) for the 70 page legal pack to find this out. Plus, of course your solicitor's costs to read through the whole pack.

Shouldn't something as draconian as "access either on foot or by motor vehicle limited to no more than 26 times per annum" be clearly spelt out as a key fact, and not buried deep in the legal document? I feel sure that Fulfords knew about the restriction, but are silent on the subject.

Dirty dealings, or fair game? What do HPC'ers think ?

Edited by johnny5thumbs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Big barn for sale. Price guide 20k. Size is even bigger than details state, with high eaves, lovely big front and back doors.

Only one problem - right of way limited to max. 26 times per year. Jason, from Fulfords was clear on the fact that it wasn't really a prospect for house conversion, but was strangely reticent as to why. So, you've got to pay £10 (CD) or £20 (paper) for the 70 page legal pack to find this out. Plus, of course your solicitor's costs to read through the whole pack.

Shouldn't something as draconian as "access either on foot or by motor vehicle limited to no more than 26 times per annum" be clearly spelt out as a key fact, and not buried deep in the legal document? I feel sure that Fulfords knew about the restriction, but are silent on the subject.

Looks like a whopping waste of time to me.

HOLA443

I can see some numpty, have paid about 100K for this barn , appearing on a future Property Ladder, with a Beeny voice-over saying "Tessa and Julian finally read the paperwork after purchase, and were devastated to find that their conversion may be more problematic than they thought.."

Shades of the old Sausage Factory and that gorgeous powerboat woman...

HOLA444
HOLA445
Is it just the barn or do you get a shred of land?

BTW that area is where all the idiots live in Devon.

No land - just a right of way 26 times per year.

How did you know about the idiots? Did you know about the webbed feet too ?

Joking aside, there are some nice people living there as well as inbred locals. Totnes isn't big enough to squeeze in all the artists, poets, potters etc, so Buckfastleigh is an overspill area.

But my question is ... should the EA really be burying something like "26 times per year access" deep in the legal pack?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think barns are for cattle.

Or horses.

Or sheep.

Pigs at a push.

Straw and hay.

Maybe even the odd tractor.

Edited by happy?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You planning to be at that auction? Not planning to bid (and certainly not on a barn with no planning permission), but I'm hoping to make it, and get a flavour of the property auction. Oh, and three places I might followup if they're unsold - though that's unlikely - if I'm interested, I expect others will be too!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Can you post that in more detail? How about access by neither of the above? As a cyclist, that would suit me fine ;)

HOLA4417
Who the hell would be counting?

"Have you used your right of access more than 26 times a year?"

"No."

Indeed. Conversely to a numpty buying it for £100k, it would be well funny if someone from upcountry buys it for £25k, manages to get the covenant removed through some obscure ancient right or EU legislation then sells it for many times more.

How the locals would laugh...

I plan to move the the country BTW and will blend in with the locals by constantly remarking on how the clean air and elbow room more than compensate for the lack of Broadband, Mobile Phone coverage, shops, decent healthcare provision, theatre and the creative arts combined with pervasive latent racism.

By moving to Buckfastleigh there is also the chance to have a good laugh down the local with the friends of the ex owner about how he thought that '£25k was money for old rope'.

HOLA4418
You planning to be at that auction? Not planning to bid (and certainly not on a barn with no planning permission), but I'm hoping to make it, and get a flavour of the property auction. Oh, and three places I might followup if they're unsold - though that's unlikely - if I'm interested, I expect others will be too!

I'll be interested in your report back to HPC - Allsops sent a note recently stating that sales this year after a shaky start are now very strong with few, if any, distressed sellers.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Ideal for a hermit.

There was a property bought on the telly programmes once that had access issues. From memory it was on some MoD land or something and they wanted to turn it into a home ... and I think there was a path ... and restricted access. I'll see if I made notes. If I've not updated this within an hour, consider that I didn't/couldn't find it.

HOLA4425