House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pezerinno

Min Wage & Living Alone.

Should a person on minimum wage expect to live by themselves all do they all house share? Studio flats near me seem too expensive for minimum wage.

IMHO, no.

I was 27 and on about 5 times minimum wage before I could afford to live on my own, and that was before the stupid HPI!

tim

Edited by tim123

Should a person on minimum wage expect to live by themselves all do they all house share? Studio flats near me seem too expensive for minimum wage.

This is one of the crazy things about the benefits system; you are almost certainly better off on benefits as, although JSA is very low, you get passported in to HB which will pay you the local going rate for a one-bed flat (as long as you are over 25).

But they always say that if you're on benefits for two years, you'll probably never work again.....

Thanks chaps. I really am fed up with sharing as I've been doing it over the last few years.

This is one of the crazy things about the benefits system; you are almost certainly better off on benefits as, although JSA is very low, you get passported in to HB which will pay you the local going rate for a one-bed flat (as long as you are over 25).

But they always say that if you're on benefits for two years, you'll probably never work again.....

Is that through personal choice or do employers look down on people who have been on benefits for a prolonged period of time?

Is that through personal choice or do employers look down on people who have been on benefits for a prolonged period of time?

You have up to about nine months to get back on your feet. After that, you really need to re-evaluate your options.

Benefits will continue for someone in your circumstances, but looking for a job should be a constant re-appraisal of circumstances and opportunities. If you reach the four month mark and had no interviews, something's not right.

You can go for longer than nine months being unemployed, but you need to have some good answers for your CV and the inevitable tricky interview questions.

Good luck either way. Unemployment's not nice at all but if its any consolation, I've been through it a few times and I'm highly experienced and qualified in my work.

Edited by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond

You have up to about nine months to get back on your feet. After that, you really need to re-evaluate your options.

Benefits will continue for someone in your circumstances, but looking for a job should be a constant re-appraisal of circumstances and opportunities. If you reach the four month mark and had no interviews, something's not right.

You can go for longer than nine months being unemployed, but you need to have some good answers for your CV and the inevitable tricky interview questions.

Good luck either way. Unemployment's not nice at all but if its any consolation, I've been through it a few times and I'm highly experienced and qualified in my work.

I'm guessing telling the interviewer minimum wage jobs were not economically viable for me would not cut it ;)

Looks like it will be a house share or living in a van which won't be ideal over the winter period. I wonder what sort of salary people are on who live in rented studios.

EDIT: thanks for your help.

Edited by Pezerinno

It depends how much the studio costs, how close it is to work/services and how old somebody is. Also, how connected you are to the local area (friends, family close by), or if you are completely alone there and no chance of getting out.

It is possible in some places, just not in central London if you're travelling across 2 zones to get to work. But if you're in a normal town and a couple of miles from work it's OK. But living there for 40-50 years would drive you nuts.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

Bit of both. If you've been on a really low income for a couple of years you will no longer have many friends with higher incomes - you just can't keep up with their normal lifestyle - buying your round of drinks, for example. So your social circle will have narrowed to others on low incomes and you learn to live with the different lifestyle that goes with lots of time but no money which is completely different from the (relatively) cash-rich, time-poor lifestyle of the dual income household.

And, of course, employers prefer people currently in work. References, for a start, get more useless the further you are from that employment.

Hope this comment doesn't come across the wrong way but surely the obvious solution is to just earn more money:

- Get some qualifications (doesn't have to be academic - plumbing is ridiculously well paid for example)

- Work more hours

- Do something with career progression

We can't all do that though can we. Shame residential land prices don't just decrease.

Why not?

There's no reason why anyone capable of full time work doesn't have the opportunity to better themselves in Britain in 2009.

And whilst I'm on the right wing pedestal, by the above argument, there's reason why anyone should stay on benefits on the basis that they will have less money by working. Set your horizons beyond McDonalds and you'll definitely be better off working.

Why not?

There's no reason why anyone capable of full time work doesn't have the opportunity to better themselves in Britain in 2009.

And whilst I'm on the right wing pedestal, by the above argument, there's reason why anyone should stay on benefits on the basis that they will have less money by working. Set your horizons beyond McDonalds and you'll definitely be better off working.

Because those wages would become the new minimum.

I'm in a similar situation apart from I'm earning a more than minimum wage. I hate sharing but the cost of renting a one bed flat or studio apartment is ridiculous. There are some I can afford but they're in the city centre and normally the closest you could park your car would be three streets away and then you'd still have to pay for a parking permit. I could actually buy a two bed place in the same area and the mortgage repayments would be less than the rent on a tiny studio apartment! I'll keep sharing and save more for a deposit until I get a pay rise, rent comes down or I turn 25 and can then qualify for HB!

or I turn 25 and can then qualify for HB!

Erm, right.

If today's under-25s have aspirations beyond the shared house, it's no wonder we need those 3 million newbuild flats ....

(sorry, just a you-don't-know-you're-born grumble from an old fart)

Why shouldn't I have aspirations to live in something better than a five bed share with people I don't know who keep you up at all times of the night, piss on the toilet seat, never clean anything, steal anything you leave in a communal area and wander in to your room drunk whenever they feel like it so you have to keep your door locked constantly?! To be fair I moved out of that one pretty quick and am now in a much better shared house but I don't want to be there for the next few years. I do realise I'm probably much better off than alot of people but that doesn't stop me from wanting to live somewhere better. And no the waiting until I'm 25 and getting HB wasn't meant to be serious - by the time I'm 25 I hope I'll be on a decent enough wage to afford to rent somewhere nicer and finally have my own space!

Why shouldn't I have aspirations to live in something better than a five bed share with people I don't know who keep you up at all times of the night, piss on the toilet seat, never clean anything, steal anything you leave in a communal area and wander in to your room drunk whenever they feel like it so you have to keep your door locked constantly?! To be fair I moved out of that one pretty quick and am now in a much better shared house but I don't want to be there for the next few years. I do realise I'm probably much better off than alot of people but that doesn't stop me from wanting to live somewhere better. And no the waiting until I'm 25 and getting HB wasn't meant to be serious - by the time I'm 25 I hope I'll be on a decent enough wage to afford to rent somewhere nicer and finally have my own space!

If you don't have a normal Young Person's experience, how will you appreciate how well-off you are in a few years time when you have your own cubicle? From the perspective of middle-age, I can look back on my first few years as a young graduate and say, well, at least the hot water works here[1].

And good luck with your aspiration to live somewhere better.

[1] usually. Well, here it seems reliable, though I can't say the same of everywhere I've lived, even as a mid-career professional person.

I've had the normal young persons experience - now I want to live somewhere better and can't afford it so I'm stuck in a shared house I am until I can work my way up to a better job. Or do I have to be a certain age and have had enough young person experiences before I can move out of shared accommodation?! When I finally have a little shoebox I will definitely be thankful that I no longer have to share with strangers! :)