House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Campaigners Win The Fight To Legalise Assisted Suicide

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6841385.ece

HELPING terminally ill and incurably disabled patients to commit suicide is set to be decriminalised in Britain under guidance to be issued this week.

Those who assist a friend or relative to end their lives on compassionate grounds will not be prosecuted, under guidelines to be announced by Keir Starmer QC, the director of public prosecutions.

However, it will still be a crime to act as “ringleader†or “organiser†of the death of a person who has been “vulnerable to manipulationâ€.

The guidelines are expected to make clear the difference between someone “assisting†and someone “encouraging†a suicide.

Since 1961 assisting a suicide has been punishable by up to 14 years’ imprisonment, but although in the past decade more than 100 terminally ill or incurable Britons have travelled to suicide clinics abroad, there have been no prosecutions of those assisting them. The new guidelines will apply to assisted suicides in Britain and overseas. The Crown Prosecution Service said there would be no new legislation.

It is not yet known how Starmer will deal with the problem of financial gain for the person assisting the suicide.

Tax revenues collapsing and now we will help the ill to die. Part of me cynically thinks this is a way of cutting costs, get ill people to kill themselves and save money.

However it's your life and if you want to end it rather than going through weeks or months of horrendous pain why should you be stopped, but I can imagine that under the current circumstances huge pressure could be put on certain people who are having expensive treatments to end it just to save money.

Suicide courteously of your local PCT.

Nothing more complicated than antibiotics, IMO. Before they came along, pneumonia was the 'old man's friend'; that or something similar got you one cold foggy night and it was all over in a short time. But once stuff like that could be cured it meant people just got older, frailer and got more complex incurable illnesses instead.

Tax revenues collapsing and now we will help the ill to die. Part of me cynically thinks this is a way of cutting costs, get ill people to kill themselves and save money.

Not cynical & in fact, nothing new. Before each Budget, when tax rises on booze & fags are considered, health economists & actuaries are routinely consulted by the Treasury to look at projections on how many folk will give up or at least reduce their drinking &/or smoking because of the price rise & hence how many will live longer & how much longer. Obviously this will vary depending on how punitive the price rise. For each possible price rise this in turn is correlated with how much more tax they'll pay during their thereby lengthened lives versus how much they'll cost the NHS either way (give up or puff away).

Where the various graphs converge decides whether it'll be 5p or 10p on a packet of fags.

Edited by Shrink Proof

That IS cynical even for HPC!

Guest happy?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6841385.ece

However it's your life and if you want to end it rather than going through weeks or months of horrendous pain why should you be stopped, but I can imagine that under the current circumstances huge pressure could be put on certain people who are having expensive treatments to end it just to save money.

Suicide courteously of your local PCT.

The local PCT are largely a disinterested third party. Those that campaign for euthanasia have never answered the much more likely scenario - an elderly or sick relative feeling under an obligation to end their life because it would be financially beneficial to their greedy children.

Will such family members be prosecuted for manslaughter?

Whilst in principle the right to terminate your life seems laudable, in practice the vulnerable and the pressured will be the hidden victims.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6841893.ece

People who stand to benefit financially from a person’s death are likely to be the ones prosecuted for assisting a suicide, under guidelines to be issued this week.

The law will remain unchanged but new rules will detail the factors that are likely to lead to a prosecution, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) said yesterday. Keir Starmer, QC, drew them up after the law lords backed Debbie Purdy, a multiple sclerosis sufferer who called for a policy statement on whether people who helped someone to kill themselves should be prosecuted.

The policy, which will be issued on Wednesday, will aim to clarify when individuals are more likely to be prosecuted or more likely not to be, he said.

Mr Starmer told the Andrew Marr Show on BBC One that such factors will include whether the person has a clear and settled intention to commit suicide, whether they have been encouraged or just assisted to do so, and whether those helping them have anything to gain from their death.

For goodness sake! Is there no news story that you can't find an HPC mantra angle on?

How about this one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children...in-Britain.html

A cynical government attempt to reduce the costs of looking after autistic children by getting them trampled to death by wild horses?

The local PCT are largely a disinterested third party. Those that campaign for euthanasia have never answered the much more likely scenario - an elderly or sick relative feeling under an obligation to end their life because it would be financially beneficial to their greedy children.

Will such family members be prosecuted for manslaughter?

Whilst in principle the right to terminate your life seems laudable, in practice the vulnerable and the pressured will be the hidden victims.

If it were legalised in the UK, you could add appropriate safeguards (multiple independent doctor's signatures, psychological assessment, etc) to ensure that this didn't happen. If you have to go abroad, then in many ways it is harder to ensure that safe guards are in place.

Unless you want a situation where half the resources of the country are devoted to keeping people with zero quality of life alive in misery, you have to be mature enough to address the issue, not just duck it.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
For goodness sake! Is there no news story that you can't find an HPC mantra angle on?

How about this one?

A cynical government attempt to reduce the costs of looking after autistic children by getting them trampled to death by wild horses?

They have this instead of cockfighting in some parts of Wales.

I usually bet on the horse.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
If it were legalised in the UK, you could add appropriate safeguards (multiple independent doctor's signatures, psychological assessment, etc) to ensure that this didn't happen. If you have to go abroad, then in many ways it is harder to ensure that safe guards are in place.

Unless you want a situation where half the resources of the country are devoted to keeping people with zero quality of life alive in misery, you have to be mature enough to address the issue, not just duck it.

Indeed.

How about this one?

Quality of life. Had I been born as a child that would not learn to read, or to walk, or to feed myself. I seriously hope someone would have given me a lethal injection there and then, rather than condemn me to such an awful life. This comment may not be related to your video as Ive not watched it.

I have known lots of old people, and one who said to me, "If this is what its like to be 90 I dont recommend it to anyone"

It is sad that anyone should feel that enough is enough and want to die, but if they do there should be a dignified way of doing that, and not having to travel to another more enlightened country.

I remember the story of one woman, who knew she would get so bad that she would not wish to carry on. But had to time her disease such that she was still well enough to travel, but not too early to die too soon. That is disgusting.