House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Killer

Pub Doormen - "for Your Own Safety". Aargh!

Bl*ody new labour rules are giving complete licence for bullying little hitler pub door staff.

Tonight I went into a town centre bar, that I go to at least once every two weeks, and one of the doormen, who I don't recall ever having dealt with in the past, warned me that I shouldn't drink as much as I have in the past. I said OK.

Later I spoke to him again to ask why. He said he had seen me leaving the pub in the pub staggering and nearly falling, and said that he required me to drink less. He said he was requiring this "for my own safety".

I was astonished.

I asked him whether he had ever seen me come to any harm as a result of my drunken staggering. He said he had not.

I asked him what made him think that some staggering should possibly affect my health and safety, and isn't this something that I, as a grown 36 year-old male should perhaps take responsibility for myself, and he said there was nothing.

I asked whether I had annoyed him inadvertently in the past? He said no.

I asked whether there had ever been any complaints from any other customers about my conduct, or whether there had ever been any fights caused by me. He said there hadn't been.

I asked whether there was a tax on enjoying yourself on a Saturday evening.

He got annoyed at my repeated questioning and has banned me from the pub.

Bizarre.

Although one possible explanation for his strange behaviour is that he is a natural working-class chav-i'm-better-than-you bully annoyed by my middle class accent. But I don't think this is the case.

No I think it is more to do with the steady encroachment of the proxy effect of health and safety applied to licensing laws. Any pub can now find themselves losing their licence if they have drunk people in their pubs - it just takes the police to pay a random visit and see. This is sooo over the top.

Yes it makes sense for pubs to throw out people who are paralytic or causing fights. But just a bit of staggering is not a problem surely. I'm sure nobody would notice. It is so silly.

It is the Labour party. In their quest for equality now that the downturn has begun, they want the misery of those affected by it to be shared by successful people like me who have looked after themselves.

It is jealousy, pure and simple. I'm ready to kick them in the teeth.

He got annoyed at my repeated questioning and has banned me from the pub.

I'm not surprised, you idiot. Some "middle class" accented drunken knob, repeatedly questioning a bouncer in the manner of an irritating child, is bound to get barred. And deserves to for being a tw@t.

I'm not surprised, you idiot. Some "middle class" accented drunken knob, repeatedly questioning a bouncer in the manner of an irritating child, is bound to get barred. And deserves to for being a tw@t.

How do you think I should have handled it then?

It is jealousy, pure and simple.

I must say, if a typical Saturday night for you, a 36 year old, involves a pissed-up row with a doorman and getting barred, I'm not overly jealous.

I'm 36 and tend to avoid places that require doormen.

I must be getting old..... ;)

You sound like you pestered someone that was giving you some friendly advice, and got banned for it.

"warned me that I shouldn't drink as much as I have in the past."

"I said OK."

You shouldn't have said ok. Say nothing. Don't argue.

Arguing with a bouncer (when drunk) is a bit like arguing with your boss,

even if you win, you still lose.

"I said OK."

It is sad, but I guess you're right.

You tend to think that these people are essentially on your side.

The reality is that, short of you being physically assaulted or worse (when they will help), they are often neutral or are out to persecute you for being independent-of-mind and healthy in spirit.

"I said OK."

Amen to that. Once you're arguing (sorry, debating) with bouncers it's time to go home. No good is ever going to come of it. They're just dying for an excuse to abuse you. As a bouncer mate of mine put it: A bouncer without an argument and scrap is like a brickie without bricks.

Same thing going on during the Tory years...this is nothing new. Back in the mid 90s a bouncer once asked me to keep an eye on a friend due to his pished up antics the week before...

I think he thought you were a potential drunk and could be trouble...in the end you proved him right!

Same thing going on during the Tory years...this is nothing new. Back in the mid 90s a bouncer once asked me to keep an eye on a friend due to his pished up antics the week before...

I think he thought you were a potential drunk and could be trouble...in the end you proved him wrong!

corrected.

All he needed to say is that I could drink as much as I liked, but that I should ensure that I didn't cause any trouble.

But as other posters have said, bouncers don't have a brain.

Edit: Why should we, as customers of these pubs, be bouncers' (metaphorical) punchbags. Why do they bite the hand that feeds them?

I must say, if a typical Saturday night for you, a 36 year old, involves a pissed-up row with a doorman and getting barred, I'm not overly jealous.

Really?

I'm strangely respectful.

Bizarre.

Although one possible explanation for his strange behaviour is that he is a natural working-class chav-i'm-better-than-you bully annoyed by my middle class accent. But I don't think this is the case.

Maybe it was just another one of those drunk 'well spoken' pricks that harass him every other night, you know, the sort that think they are better than them situations.

Maybe it was just another one of those drunk 'well spoken' pricks that harass him every other night, you know, you sort that think they are better than them situations.

situations?

There was no situation until he started it. I was just minding my own business until he poked his nose into my evening and started lecturing me, with threats, about being drunk.

situations?

There was no situation until he started it. I was just minding my own business until he poked his nose into my evening and started lecturing me, with threats, about being drunk.

I've been thrown face first into door frames many a time for just being drunk and happy near a bouncer, put yourself in their shoes.

Last time I was back in the UK and had time to frequent my old stomping ground, Colchester, I was amazed at how many pubs had bouncers.

What surprised even more was the number of pubs charging to get in. :o:o

Don't repeatedly question a bouncer whether you're drunk or stone cold sober. Like many of us, I've been stopped from entry to places for having the wrong type of shoes.

He has only one power.. to stop you coming in/coming back again. What did you think he was going to do, sit down and have a deep and meaningful conversation about your predicament and the state of the country?

My advice, take your money somewhere else!

Bl*ody new labour rules are giving complete licence for bullying little hitler pub door staff.

Tonight I went into a town centre bar, that I go to at least once every two weeks, and one of the doormen, who I don't recall ever having dealt with in the past, warned me that I shouldn't drink as much as I have in the past. I said OK.

Later I spoke to him again to ask why.

After a few beers....?

No wonder he got fed up....

You are most likely one of those very loud posh chaps that everybody in the pub can hear. This is why the bouncer was aware that you drink too much on a night out.

Then you talk down to him, well done to the bouncer I would have bought him a drink for banning a clearly snotty nose toff.

Oh and then you blame it on labour rules?

In the event of hyperinflation, these "types" will be on food store duty....for your own protection of course.