House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LondonMortgageCentre

Affordability...the Great Welsh Advantage...

Salaries are low/job opps are poor/Property prices are down.......BUT....Affordabiility,this is where Wales scores and this is why I feel we will pull out of this mess in line comfortably with the rest of the country.

In Battersea London you have no chance to buy a house for you and your family for under £300k

In Newport or Cardiff you just drives North until you find the affordable dwelling.

My point is that Wales [whether you like it or not] offers affordable housing for families [the mass market]

Salaries are low/job opps are poor/Property prices are down.......BUT....Affordabiility,this is where Wales scores and this is why I feel we will pull out of this mess in line comfortably with the rest of the country.

In Battersea London you have no chance to buy a house for you and your family for under £300k

In Newport or Cardiff you just drives North until you find the affordable dwelling.

My point is that Wales [whether you like it or not] offers affordable housing for families [the mass market]

Yes you can. You can still readily buy a mid-terraced for under 100k in Merthyr Tydfil, or Neath or any of those valleys, but have you ever lived in a two up two down?

Open your front door onto the street and step directly into dog shite or last nights vomit. Park your car outside your house and find it regularly vandalised or stolen . The police, well they just laugh at you when you make your third report in as many months.

Have your neighbours' kids and their various dogs habitually climbing into your garden, breaking down walls and fences as they go. As you say ,you can still buy one of the above for below 100K , but who, looking to preserve their sanity would want to live there??

Yes you can. You can still readily buy a mid-terraced for under 100k in Merthyr Tydfil, or Neath or any of those valleys, but have you ever lived in a two up two down?

Open your front door onto the street and step directly into dog shite or last nights vomit. Park your car outside your house and find it regularly vandalised or stolen . The police, well they just laugh at you when you make your third report in as many months.

Have your neighbours' kids and their various dogs habitually climbing into your garden, breaking down walls and fences as they go. As you say ,you can still buy one of the above for below 100K , but who, looking to preserve their sanity would want to live there??

Hang on now Gus.

Surely you're not suggesting that the problems that you mention, real as they are, do not exist in London?

I'd say that, if anything, London would be worse and the housing stock smaller than a 2 up 2 down.

By the way I see valleys housing as you describe being valued around £50 - £60k currently.

You can drive North (or South, East or West) from anywhere and 'find affordable dwelling'. Have you asked yourself why properties are cheaper elsewhere? You may not be aware that house prices mainly rise or fall depending on the money (or borrowed money) available to buy them and on little else. Move away from the South East - whether Wales or England - and the funds available are lower, hence lower prices.

Prices always reflect affordability and do so right now. So, what's your point?

Are you saying that Wales' property market is performing, or will perform, 'better' than other parts of the country?

Edited by a+b+c+d

Having the wastelands of the valleys nearby doesn't negate the fact that South Wales is one of the most unaffordable places relative to local wages, in all of Britain. Modest three bed semis outside of council estates are about ten times the average wage. If you're looking for somewhere affordable to raise a family, you can forget South Wales. The local economy is woefully dependant on the public sector and the "downturn" has barely got started here yet. House prices have fallen less than almost anywhere else as economic gravity is kept at bay by the cushy publicly funded jobs in quangos, Welsh language media, and the layer upon layer of local governmental bureaucracy. We all know the cuts are coming, and when they do it's nothing but thin air for miles and mile below.

Meh.

I live in a mid-terraced 2 up 2 down, about 15 - 20 mins away from Swansea. Cost a fair bit less than 100k 4 years ago.

I open my front door and occasionally there is some sheep shit in my front garden, or on the pavement, if the farmer down the road forgot to close his gate again. The car, vandalised... umm, well maybe a few bird droppings on it, but that's about it.

The neighbours breaking down the fence, well, no, not quite. Wouldn't mind it too much though, as it would make it easier for them the bring me the lovely cakes they give me, made from the eggs I give them from my chickens.

Affordability might be the case in your Wales. Unfortunately, the real Wales extends a lot further than the Heads of the Valleys to the North and beyond Llanelli to the West. Affordability is still way off the mark in the majority of the country.

Meh.

I live in a mid-terraced 2 up 2 down, about 15 - 20 mins away from Swansea. Cost a fair bit less than 100k 4 years ago.

I open my front door and occasionally there is some sheep shit in my front garden, or on the pavement, if the farmer down the road forgot to close his gate again. The car, vandalised... umm, well maybe a few bird droppings on it, but that's about it.

The neighbours breaking down the fence, well, no, not quite. Wouldn't mind it too much though, as it would make it easier for them the bring me the lovely cakes they give me, made from the eggs I give them from my chickens.

I can think of some quaint little terraces you might be describing in say, Penclawdd (sp) perhaps, and very nice they are too if you can afford 150k-200k.

No, if you want one for the 100k mark you'll have to move yourself to the likes of Sandfields in the centre. When I lived there a few years back my car was stolen from outside my door 4 times in a year !!

One next door neighbour was on very good terms with the police , and the other was an ex-con fraudster rapidly walking her way back into the free hotel! I opened my door one day to be met with a bellicose Taxi driver from L'pool who was going to re-arrange my fragile features because he thought I was her husband. Oh, happy days!!

I can think of some quaint little terraces you might be describing in say, Penclawdd (sp) perhaps, and very nice they are too if you can afford 150k-200k.

No, if you want one for the 100k mark you'll have to move yourself to the likes of Sandfields in the centre. When I lived there a few years back my car was stolen from outside my door 4 times in a year !!

One next door neighbour was on very good terms with the police , and the other was an ex-con fraudster rapidly walking her way back into the free hotel! I opened my door one day to be met with a bellicose Taxi driver from L'pool who was going to re-arrange my fragile features because he thought I was her husband. Oh, happy days!!

Why do I need to move to Sandfields when I live in the house I am describing with cost me £82k almost 4 years ago.

So you ca be as cheerful as Gus of course!

Yes, it's so easy for you boyos in the comfy public sector to be cheery and upbeat. We'll see if you are quite so sanguine next year when the Tories begin their

slash and burn pogrom and you have to frantically look around for a real job outside your little comfort zone.