House Price Crash Forum

The Scouring Of The Shire

Trampa501

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest anorthosite
If Gordon is Sharkey, and PM is Wormtongue....who are Cameron and Osborne? Merry and Pippin?

They're the ones that sat around and let it happen.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
If Gordon is Sharkey, and PM is Wormtongue....who are Cameron and Osborne? Merry and Pippin?

Seriously, what kind of country are we going to have left in a couple of years?

Gollum and gollumer. Desperate, oh so desperate for power.

Brown is morelike Theoden, transfixed, enfeebled and driven insane by the lies of the financial sector to allow the rampaging evil from the South (for it is they) to invade. He has let down his people and he doesn't even know why. Brown can't be Saruman, 'Sharkey' is making loads of money from running a factory and a vigorous import/export business in tobacco products... OMG IT WAS KEN CLARKE ALL ALONG.

And what is this? The leader of the Liberal Democrats (mysterious figures thought by many to be mere legend), the King in waiting thought lost for generations assisted by a wise old goat who gets as much wrong as he gets right?

False alarm, no its just Nick Clegg.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Ok, not sure if this is off topic or not (and since we are already off topic are we into double negatives?? :huh: ) but having re-read the Lord of the Rings lately is anyone else still miffed that Peter Jackson decided to leave the Scouring of the Shire out of the film? It irk's me every time I see it to think of all the things that made it, and yet this chapter that is the underlining of the whole story was dropped!!!

anyway... rant over... pendant off. continue on (or off) topic!

HOLA449
Ok, not sure if this is off topic or not (and since we are already off topic are we into double negatives?? :huh: ) but having re-read the Lord of the Rings lately is anyone else still miffed that Peter Jackson decided to leave the Scouring of the Shire out of the film? It irk's me every time I see it to think of all the things that made it, and yet this chapter that is the underlining of the whole story was dropped!!!

anyway... rant over... pendant off. continue on (or off) topic!

I hear that it upset Christopher Lee quite a lot. Although is it not on extended DVD version that i have somehow never brought myself to see?

HOLA4410
Guest anorthosite
I hear that it upset Christopher Lee quite a lot. Although is it not on extended DVD version that i have somehow never brought myself to see?

It was the scenes from Isengard being cut at the start of Return of the King (although its in the Two Towers book) that annoyed Christopher Lee. They were put back for the extended edition, and I have to agree, I don't know why they were cut.

I understand why the scouring was cut. It would have been hard to make work on screen. Tolkein wouldn't have minded though. He was all for making big changes to put it on screen when he was asked about it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Seriously, what kind of country are we going to have left in a couple of years?

So where are all the well-intentioned hardworking hobbits? Britain is full of characters like Ted Sandyman and Lotho Sackville-Baggins. Thats why it's been so easy for Mandelson(who is definitely Wormtongue) and his ilk.

HOLA4413
It was the scenes from Isengard being cut at the start of Return of the King (although its in the Two Towers book) that annoyed Christopher Lee. They were put back for the extended edition, and I have to agree, I don't know why they were cut.

I understand why the scouring was cut. It would have been hard to make work on screen. Tolkein wouldn't have minded though. He was all for making big changes to put it on screen when he was asked about it.

I don't know, the scene would have been wonderful, to see the transformation of the shire from agricultural to industrial, and the returning hobbits from simpletons to middle earth warriors. Saruman descending to a common thug from the head of the wizards council... a great end to a book.

I know it would have lessoned the epic ending, but isn't that chapter part of Tolkien's story... the damaging effects of war of your home and your way of life, even if you win?

The shire was given plenty of time in the first film, so surely they could have revisited even if only in the extended editions..

HOLA4414
I don't know, the scene would have been wonderful, to see the transformation of the shire from agricultural to industrial, and the returning hobbits from simpletons to middle earth warriors. Saruman descending to a common thug from the head of the wizards council... a great end to a book.

I know it would have lessoned the epic ending, but isn't that chapter part of Tolkien's story... the damaging effects of war of your home and your way of life, even if you win?

The shire was given plenty of time in the first film, so surely they could have revisited even if only in the extended editions..

Even worse effects if you lose. Having said that, the way that Germany has rebuilt herself after the war is incredible. UK seems to have lost its soul and direction, as well as its industry. What option do non-academic kids have in most inner cities nowadays? Queue for a job on the tills in Wilkos, or join the local drugs gang?

Yes, I agree, the Scouring of the Shire was an important part of the trilogy, and it's a shame that it was left out of the film.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Frodo sees it in Galadriel's Mirror.

I dunno really, thats one interpretation but when I read it all I can hear is the voice of the author intruding and ranting about the decision of Oxford council to put a new road in running by his house.

Theres also the problem for a film, which tend to be more sensitive, that he is repeating himself. Merry and Pippin are already clanking around in armour having made it in the Big World, we've already seen Saruman's yen for industrialisation at a cost to people and the environment, and Frodo still has the problem that having returned his experience of war has ruined for him what we he wanted to save.

I get the feeling the choice was between the Scouring and the Grey Havens, and I think they chose the right option.

Extra nerd points: You notice Gandalf has his Ring of Power as he waves goodbye? Sneaky old git.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Frodo sees it in Galadriel's Mirror.

I dunno really, thats one interpretation but when I read it all I can hear is the voice of the author intruding and ranting about the decision of Oxford council to put a new road in running by his house.

Theres also the problem for a film, which tend to be more sensitive, that he is repeating himself. Merry and Pippin are already clanking around in armour having made it in the Big World, we've already seen Saruman's yen for industrialisation at a cost to people and the environment, and Frodo still has the problem that having returned his experience of war has ruined for him what we he wanted to save.

I get the feeling the choice was between the Scouring and the Grey Havens, and I think they chose the right option.

Extra nerd points: You notice Gandalf has his Ring of Power as he waves goodbye? Sneaky old git.

Yeah, I agree on almost everything there I guess - Don't mistake me, Peter Jackson did wonderfully well with the films. Even if he had 6 films to tell the tale he would have to squeeze sections... I just wish that the hobbits themselves could see the transformation in the four returning heroes, after all the whole story is about hobbits. The whole beginning is concerning hobbits!

However(!) the choice, grey havens or scouring... I'd lose the grey havens every time! Lousy elves, all pretentious and moral... swanning off because their precious rings don't work any more! :P

Archived