House Price Crash Forum
Mega

£ Parity With Euro?

''the pound and the dollar was largely down to the fact that both countries had undertaken QE on a major scale. "The market is punishing these two currencies for quantitative easing''

Cheers Gordo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currenc...-with-euro.html

I think so, in fact i see a number of things pushing £1.10 to the Euro.......one of them being Mr G Brown

Mike

ISTR the same prediction back in March, when sterling went to about €1.01 and was below US$1.40.

This time it's got 20% new-printing behind it, but that may need to be offset against an already-high-valued Euro. I'd (also) be looking at £ vs currencies that are neither so overvalued nor rapidly devaluing: things like Aus/NZ/Singapore dollars.

ISTR the same prediction back in March, when sterling went to about €1.01 and was below US$1.40.

This time it's got 20% new-printing behind it, but that may need to be offset against an already-high-valued Euro. I'd (also) be looking at £ vs currencies that are neither so overvalued nor rapidly devaluing: things like Aus/NZ/Singapore dollars.

The £/Euro low was around Christmas last year.

I'm starting to think we should adopt the Euro while they'll still have us.

I thought we met those '5 criteria' for entry some time back. Sadly you got to ask, do they want us to join ?

From the article.

However, it is hoped that a weaker pound will help to lift the UK out of recession by driving up exports as British goods become more competitively priced. As yet, there has been little evidence of that as demand from the UK's key export markets remains muted.

Meanwhile the rupee is going to appreciate.

Happy Daze!

However, it is hoped that a weaker pound will help to lift the UK out of recession by driving up exports as British goods become more competitively priced. As yet, there has been little evidence of that as demand from the UK's key export markets remains muted.

Is this because our stuff is such a rip off? I would have thought with the devalued pound our stuff would seem cheap already?

US depressed, Euro in recession, Asia already got cheap labour..........export what, to whom?

Oh, yes sorry i forgot........."Knowege based econermy"

Mike

I think we should adopt the Zimbawe Dollar, being Billionaires would give us all a much needed feel good factor.

The £/Euro low was around Christmas last year.

dropped to almost parity, just in time for the UK to make it's EU contributions at that rate. Hurrah for free currency market, we got bitch slapped by the invisible hand.