House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Being Single And Happy - One Of The Few Cultural Taboos Left

Anyone else find this ? I am always shocked by the attitude of so many in this country.

-You are moving in with your bird ? Brilliant. Well done for you. Smiles all round.

-You are getting married to your bird ? Brilliant. Well done for you. Smiles all round.

-You are gay and moving in with a bloke called Simon ? Brilliant. We are all different. How good for you.

-You are a lesbian with a partner called Doris ? Brilliant. We are all different. How good for you.

-You are single and quite content with that situation for the foreseeable future........Devil Spawn !!

"You can't really be happy being single"

"You just have not found the right one yet"

"It will happen one day"

"There must be something wrong with you"

"Eh no I am just more than happy and content being by myself"

"Poor wee soul. What a shame all by him/her self"

"Eh no, I just told you I am perfectly happy."

"Ah. Shame on the poor wee soul."

"Right - If you are not going to listen why don't you just ****** off"

Why is this country like this ? It is almost as if you are not allowed to be single. Very, very strange. People just think you are lying if you say you are happy being single. I am sure some are. However many of us are not. Any ideas ? I suppose it is natural to have a kid with someone of the opposite sex. However this is not for everyone. So why do people batter on about it in the same manner, instead of simply listening to what you say ? The attitude to single people today is probably what it was like for gay men years ago !!

"You will change, you will find the right girl one day."

No !!

Guest Parry aka GOD
Anyone else find this ? I am always shocked by the attitude of so many in this country.

-You are moving in with your bird ? Brilliant. Well done for you. Smiles all round.

-You are getting married to your bird ? Brilliant. Well done for you. Smiles all round.

-You are gay and moving in with a bloke called Simon ? Brilliant. We are all different. How good for you.

-You are a lesbian with a partner called Doris ? Brilliant. We are all different. How good for you.

-You are single and quite content with that situation for the foreseeable future........Devil Spawn !!

"It will happen one day"

Why is this country like this ? It is almost as if you are not allowed to be single. Very, very strange. People just think you are lying if you say you are happy being single. I am sure some are. However many of us are not. Any ideas ? I suppose it is natural to have a kid with someone of the opposite sex. However this is not for everyone. So why do people batter on about it in the same manner, instead of simply listening to what you say ? The attitude to single people today is probably what it was like for gay men years ago !!

No !!

No matter. What they're really saying is "You are getting married to your bird ? Brilliant. Well done for you. Smiles all round." Which translates too "Fvck me are you serious, she was still banging Danny Smith until last week, a right b1tch, are you sure, mush?"

Depending on age of the respondent, it's either ignorance or experience and it's never what they mean.

Enjoy blissful singularity with my blessing.

No !!

I can't imagine myself with a partner now. I wish singles were not so discriminated against when booking holidays.

Guest Parry aka GOD
I can't imagine myself with a partner now. I wish singles were not so discriminated against when booking holidays.

Neither can I, mush. Neither can I.

No !!

Its a conforming thing. People don't like other people not conforming, and those who criticise you are often jealous that you can do what you like, and they can't.

i'm single prob cause i dont have an "in" face, but strangely today got 2 women seeming to flirt, no idea why.

1. shop - nicely curvy 30s said "i'm always doing things for free", me: "really, i see!" she laughs, opens bag for coat i bought and says "i'll get a bigger one", me (innocently) "i'll fit it in, don't worry" as i fold coat, she: "ooh, will you!"

2. supermarket, very hot eye contact from thin female member of staff, i've not been looked at like that since halloween night at the hippodrome 1992 !

lost a bit of weight around my face, i might now have to fight 'em off with a stick...

but back to reality - a bit of harmless flirting & attraction, shame people are too scared to these days, esp in London/cities

Guest Parry aka GOD
i'm single prob cause i dont have an "in" face, but strangely today got 2 women seeming to flirt, no idea why.

1. shop - nicely curvy 30s said "i'm always doing things for free", me: "really, i see!" she laughs, opens bag for coat i bought and says "i'll get a bigger one", me (innocently) "i'll fit it in, don't worry" as i fold coat, she: "ooh, will you!"

2. supermarket, very hot eye contact from thin female member of staff, i've not been looked at like that since halloween night at the hippodrome 1992 !

lost a bit of weight around my face, i might now have to fight 'em off with a stick...

but back to reality - a bit of harmless flirting & attraction, shame people are too scared to these days, esp in London/cities

I stick one in the mail. Don't let the twit near your bank account mind.

Guest Parry aka GOD
****** society, if you're happy being single...crack on.

That's my boy!

Good advice!

Guest Parry aka GOD
not a clue what that means, sorry, i must be getting fick in me old age

Mail order. Big business here. 2 for 1 recession buster deal on right now.

Guest KingCharles1st

Hey I'm single too!

BY CHOICE. I shagged too many women, they all want you, every little bit of you- these days I tell them I just want to be friends- now that really gets them going for some reason!

However o.p. fixed it for you

"Eh no I am just more than happy and content being myself"

Yesterday I was walking home from work through the park when a bunch of teenage girls sitting on a bench starting shouting at me: "Oooh, you're that fella off the TV, aren't you?"

I strode over, picked the prettiest one, and shagged her up against the dog waste receptacle.

That shut them up.

Guest X-QUORK
Yesterday I was walking home from work through the park when a bunch of teenage girls sitting on a bench starting shouting at me: "Oooh, you're that fella off the TV, aren't you?"

I strode over, picked the prettiest one, and shagged her up against the dog waste receptacle.

That shut them up.

Did the feint smell of dog shit effect your stroke?

It's like not wanting to own a house.

I've only managed to avoid that stigma by giving sufficient information that I could buy two or more houses but choose not to because I think it would be a dreadful investment ATM.

And then people think I'm rich but eccentric, ah well...

"It will happen one day"

No !!

I think what you say is entirely fair - but coupled-up people have very clear priorities, often including current or anticipated sprogging, and makes them more (1) predictable and (2) controlable

family subconciously wishes to see genes procreated, so want un-f*cked up kiddies in a secure home, and employers want control, so want to se you dedicated to your job in order to pay for said kiddies

I say this from having been in a stable relationship for 3 years or so now

Perhaps it's to do with house prices. Bears were unpopular during the pre 2007's but now they are HOOOOOOT!

As a slight aside, I would not be surprised if employers single out (pardon the pun) those people who are unattached, to be the first in line for compulsory redundancies, rather than those with families. I know of a couple of single friends who believe that this could be the case with them.. Its supposed to come down to scoring points against your skills, but thats a load of balls, and employers often hide behind this scoring system..

That shut them up.

Are you from Stevenage?

As a slight aside, I would not be surprised if employers single out (pardon the pun) those people who are unattached, to be the first in line for compulsory redundancies, rather than those with families. I know of a couple of single friends who believe that this could be the case with them.. Its supposed to come down to scoring points against your skills, but thats a load of balls, and employers often hide behind this scoring system..

Yes but on the other hand - who is easier to exploit to do overtime (for free if necessary) and more able to bear a pay cut or loss of bonus?