House Price Crash Forum

Interesting Little Fact Manchester

geezer466

HOLA441

The Bus Lane camera's in Manchester raised £544,000 in 7 Months!! That's just one small area of traffic enforcement.

More than 18,000 fines handed to motorists caught driving in bus lanes in Manchester were illegal, the local authority has admitted. The drivers were all caught out by cameras between October 2006 and May 2007 - before they were approved for use in bus lanes. Manchester City Council believed the cameras could be retrospectively certified - but lawyers ruled it out. It could now face a payout of more than £544,000 to drivers who were caught. All bus lane cameras in the city have had Department for Transport approval since 24 December 2008.

It seems in their haste to collect the tax the authority overlooked the little niceties like the fact they were illegal... In essence they were demanding money with menaces when they did not have the authority to do so...

I dare anyone to tell me these things are any more than an additional tax!! They are not there to keep people out of bus lanes (which we shouldn't have anyway) they are there to raise revenue!!

Selective reporting by the BBC again!! How can these drivers have been caught if they were committing no offence? Subjective reporting to hammer home the message to the masses.

HOLA442

I am so fed up with the cynics thinking the 980% increase in speed cameras and fines is anything other than genuine attempt to protect the motorist from themselves. This is a classic example of good governance. Next some loony will claim that the increase in fuel duties is a sneaky way to raise funds rather than a genuine attempt to control global warming or that the increase in tobacco tax is there as a way of getting the most out of an additcted population rather than as a prompt to help them decide to quit... will there be no end to these cynics... one day I am sure someone will try and claim that tax on booze is there to raise cash rather than help control use and benefit the nations health.

HOLA443
How can these drivers have been caught if they were committing no offence? Subjective reporting to hammer home the message to the masses.

Surely they were committing an offence by driving in a bus lane? Whether the council were allowed to use the cameras or not driving in the bus lane at those times was not appropriate. They got off on a technicality.

Edited by daiking

HOLA444
Surely they were committing an offence by driving in a bus lane? Whether the council were allowed to use the cameras or not driving in the bus lane at those times was not appropriate. They got off on a technicality.

There are bus lanes all around me you are allowed to drive in!!

Timed control. Explain technicality?

HOLA445
There are bus lanes all around me you are allowed to drive in!!

Timed control. Explain technicality?

:blink:

It doesn't say that the public were 'caught' driving outside the controlled times when it wasn't an offence to do so, it says they were 'caught' by cameras not certified to be used. So they committed an offence but the evidence wasn't allowable hence convictions over-turned.

I have also seen a number of permanent bus lane exclusions, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
The Bus Lane cameras in Manchester raised £544,000 in 7 Months!! That's just one small area of traffic enforcement.....

I dare anyone to tell me these things are any more than an additional tax!! They are not there to keep people out of bus lanes (which we shouldn't have anyway) they are there to raise revenue!!

Selective reporting by the BBC again!! How can these drivers have been caught if they were committing no offence? Subjective reporting to hammer home the message to the masses.

These things are more than additional tax.

HOLA4410
They're great aren't they ? A very effective tax on the stupid, the incompetent and the arrogant that helps keep the tax burden on the rest of us that bit lower :)

A bit like the 'illegal' overdraft charges then :DB)B)

I hate lazy f*ckers who use a bus lane to save a few minutes, bit like those who drive into the hatching areas to get ahead of the patient folk and onto a carriageway like it's an extra lane. They deserve everything they get IMO!