House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

More Impossible It Skills Requirement

Rate: £250 per Day

Which is about 60K a year assuming you take no holidays, no sick leave and then, from that, you have to fund your own pension, run a limited company, pay an accountant, have various insurances... and after that you still will get clobbered by the IR for IR35 so... at what point what looks like a 60K job is actually far, far less...

...and that is ignoring the fact that the skills required are very difficult to learn, demanding and stressful to keep on top of and, frankly, no one person could actually do all of that unless they were bulling... Frankly, if you had that infor inside your brain you would go nuts and have a break-down...

IMPO it is like asking a Doctor to be a GP, a neurosurgeon, gynaecologist and a heart surgeon all in one.

i think youre underestimating the IT skills some people have

looking it over, it seems a job my brother (sys admin) would be capable of, and he only gets 28k a year i believe currently. (not in london)

i think youre underestimating the IT skills some people have

looking it over, it seems a job my brother (sys admin) would be capable of, and he only gets 28k a year i believe currently. (not in london)

:lol::lol::lol:

With such a low rate, I expect the job doesn't really involve much of anything (a 3 month contract which includes Forward Planning? I don't think!).

Sounds like the HR department and the spec writer are the ones who don't actually know what the role is, so it's more of a catch-all.

It looks to be just a standard ISP NOC / SYSadmin role.

Go and work in a ISP and your skill set will soon go sky high.

They are probably looking for someone that has a good understanding of most things but also can go off to google / books and work it out for themselves.

You probably are underestimating your own skill set. If you sit down and think about what you do actually know, you might surprise yourself.

Possible to know a bit of each, but not be masterful in any of them.

Basically they're asking for a UNIX, PC Sys Admin with Database Admin, Network Admin, Project Management, Backup Management, VM Knowledge and Web hosting / management.

For £250 an day I'd tell them to shove it.

Basically they're asking for a UNIX, PC Sys Admin with Database Admin, Network Admin, Project Management, Backup Management, VM Knowledge and Web hosting / management.

My thought and also the thoughts of every IT bod I know who has seen it.

I've got all those skills ... but to varying skill levels and I'm not expected to use all those skills, probably as my depth of knowledge is so shallow in some areas. Take •Storage (SAN, Fibre switching, RAID Optimization). done all that, but the frequency is about once every 6 months, just enough to add to my CV and forget everything until the SAN needs touching again next year.

I have a finger in each, but I'm no expert in any of them.

but that dosn't mean I like it, re-skilling every 2 years is wearing me down, a few more years and I'll find a nice outdoors job with the Environment Agency, or take up oyster farming ;)

Edited by Snagger

I saw a role for a senior GIS Consultant the other day in Madrid for €25k

A year...

I emailed them just to see if there was a typo; it intrigued me. Nope, no typo, I would simply have to get used to a lower market value in Spain apparently...

Sorry to dishearten you but I also have a very similar skill set and a few extra bits and I am not on anything near that but I am a permie. Replace the MCSE and MS SQL requirements for NetApp NCDA, RHCE and Oracle RAC and they could be looking for me but I don't know who fancies contracting in this environment for only £250 per day and a 3 month contract.

I used to think the same thing(imposible to have all these skills) prior to landing my last job working for a large multinational where as part of my job working on the infrastructure for a large and complex web based Document Management System I had to pick-up all these skills.

Unfortunately working for small companies or companies with small IT infrastructures does not expose you to much in the way of technology.

What frightens me is at some point in the future going for an interview against some guy who worked IT for a financial institution or large supermarket with a background of looking after 500+ server farms and multi million pound SAN/NAS devices( ours are only hundreds of thousands of pounds per device :-P ) and trust me they are out there. That is the typical background of the consultants we bring in to help us occasionally.

I could apply for this job, so could lots of people.

Which is about 60K a year assuming you take no holidays, no sick leave and then, from that, you have to fund your own pension, run a limited company, pay an accountant, have various insurances... and after that you still will get clobbered by the IR for IR35 so... at what point what looks like a 60K job is actually far, far less...

...and that is ignoring the fact that the skills required are very difficult to learn, demanding and stressful to keep on top of and, frankly, no one person could actually do all of that unless they were bulling... Frankly, if you had that infor inside your brain you would go nuts and have a break-down...

IMPO it is like asking a Doctor to be a GP, a neurosurgeon, gynaecologist and a heart surgeon all in one.

It seems some people here think that they have all these skills, or think it possible for someone to have them. This is plainly not true, it is like people who claim to speak several languages fluently, it depends on what you call fluent. I'm sure many people will have touched all these areas of expertise, but to find someone who is expert in all of them is not possible. Someone who thinks they are IS deluded. A person will need to be a jack of all trades but a master of none.

It doesn't ask you to be an expert in all of these, not sure where you got that from... Put it this way, if you work for a company that pushes you to learn everything in that list `and more` you will or you will lose your job. SIMPLE!

It seems some people here think that they have all these skills, or think it possible for someone to have them. This is plainly not true, it is like people who claim to speak several languages fluently, it depends on what you call fluent. I'm sure many people will have touched all these areas of expertise, but to find someone who is expert in all of them is not possible. Someone who thinks they are IS deluded. A person will need to be a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Guest happy?
http://www.jobserve.co.uk/Web-Hosting-Infr...54C0E7BA9.jsjob

All you IT guys make sure you all apply for this great contract - I am amazed they do not mention tying a broom to yoru backside so that you can sweep the place as you walk around also?

I think my all time favourite was an advert for an Oracle DBA "must have 3 years solid 9i experience". Nothing wrong in that - except the official release had only been made a week before for Linux/Solaris and the NT release hadn't even been posted.

Agencies - you know you love 'em!

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually I am asked to do a lot of that....cant say I am top notch in all of it, might take me a day to write a 3 line script and test, but much of that job could be done on a request by the client basis and researched on line.

the job is for an engineer, so I would assume a troubleshooter, rather than an SQL programmer.

It doesn't ask you to be an expert in all of these, not sure where you got that from... Put it this way, if you work for a company that pushes you to learn everything in that list `and more` you will or you will lose your job. SIMPLE!

Well it states the following:

Essential Skills & Experience:

Previous experience of managing a Web hosting facility.

VMware Virtual Infrastructure (VI3, VI4).

Linux Administrative skills.

Data Centre Hardware (HP Servers, Fibre Channel, SAN storage, Firewalls, Load Balancers, Switches, CAT cabling).

Networking skills (TCPIP, DNS).

Windows Server Operating Systems (2003, 2008).

Web Server technologies (IIS, Apache).

Scripting skills (Win & Linux).

Storage (SAN, Fibre switching, RAID Optimization).

Database administration (SQL 2005, 2008, MySQL5, Clustering).

Familiarity with development architectures (ASP, .Net, PHP, SQL).

Backup technologies (Autoloaders, NAS disk storage, File Archiving).

Web hosting architectures (Clustering, Load balancing, Domain registration management, Replication, Monitoring, Optimization, Analysis).

Security skills (Vulnerability testing, Development advice, Patching).

Project management (Technical, Change control, Documentation, Presentation, Reporting).

Disaster Recovery planning and management (Co-location).

To me essential skils mean you need to be pretty competent in them. Being a perfectionist, I would want to be a reasonable expert before saying I was skilled.

Perhaps they should be asking for essential basic knowledge of? You have to admit the list is quite varied. Just because you get yourself up to speed on something does not mean you are skilled.

Guest happy?
Well it states the following:

Essential Skills & Experience:

Previous experience of managing a Web hosting facility.

VMware Virtual Infrastructure (VI3, VI4).

Linux Administrative skills.

Data Centre Hardware (HP Servers, Fibre Channel, SAN storage, Firewalls, Load Balancers, Switches, CAT cabling).

Networking skills (TCPIP, DNS).

Windows Server Operating Systems (2003, 2008).

Web Server technologies (IIS, Apache).

Scripting skills (Win & Linux).

Storage (SAN, Fibre switching, RAID Optimization).

Database administration (SQL 2005, 2008, MySQL5, Clustering).

Familiarity with development architectures (ASP, .Net, PHP, SQL).

Backup technologies (Autoloaders, NAS disk storage, File Archiving).

Web hosting architectures (Clustering, Load balancing, Domain registration management, Replication, Monitoring, Optimization, Analysis).

Security skills (Vulnerability testing, Development advice, Patching).

Project management (Technical, Change control, Documentation, Presentation, Reporting).

Disaster Recovery planning and management (Co-location).

To me essential skils mean you need to be pretty competent in them. Being a perfectionist, I would want to be a reasonable expert before saying I was skilled.

Perhaps they should be asking for essential basic knowledge of? You have to admit the list is quite varied. Just because you get yourself up to speed on something does not mean you are skilled.

As others have noted there are at least four job descriptions in this advert. Anyone can do one of them well and make a good fist of a least one other - after that it would simply go down hill.

I'm betting that the BOFHs walked-out en-masse and the new boss is trying to impress the bean counters by saving money.

Clickety click.

Let's draw out the contractors.

A small team from India, say four, could probably cover the requirements and come in for less than £250 per day.

p-o-p

A person will need to be a jack of all trades but a master of none.

that's how I would describe myself, and thats often what an employer wants, if we can't deal with it in-house we raise a support call with which ever vendor has the expertise we need.

Let's draw out the contractors.

A small team from India, say four, could probably cover the requirements and come in for less than £250 per day.

p-o-p

And therein lies the problem with the UK. When the cost of a train ticket to see a client costs more than a weeks wages for an Indian, there is no surprise that Indians can work for less. When you add the ridiculous taxes and costs of housing on, there is not much a UK contractor can do.

However on the flip side, a good UK contractor can do just as much as several mediocre Indians. If you get very good Indians, they too will cost more than a few dollars per day.

that's how I would describe myself, and thats often what an employer wants, if we can't deal with it in-house we raise a support call with which ever vendor has the expertise we need.

I would agree that a sensible employer may want that. But there are equally just as many who really do want someone who is an expert in everything, and then wonder why they cannot find them. In this case they should make it clear that they would want someone with a basic understanding of all these areas, not ask to be skilled in all of them.

Edited by BalancedBear

All you IT guys make sure you all apply for this great contract - I am amazed they do not mention tying a broom to yoru backside so that you can sweep the place as you walk around also?

Talking of brooms, last year I was in a position where I had to interview candidates for a job in my employer's US office. Tasks would include:

• Development work on our billing system.

• Development work on our website.

• Supporting all systems in the US office (Software, hardware, + all the scripts written by the previous guy who'd been 'eased out').

• Experience with VMs as our company wanted to go down that road.

• Desktop support for our US office.

Oh, and the desktop support bit was not in the ad - I had to introduce this requirement during the interview.

It felt very strange interviewing people for a job that I knew was impossible.

PS In case you were wondering - the job description was a result of a turf war between different directors over what the new recruit should be working on.