House Price Crash Forum

It's All Over Guys - Time To Call It A Day

This is a dead cat bounce. Enjoy it while it lasts!

An optimist. Bull trap it is unless you think prices won't re-test the recent lows (the dead cat will hit the firm ground again and have smaller bounces forward until it doesn't bounce at all for a while). Sorry for being pedantic. :)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every newly redundant ex-employee is simply a potential BTL landlord and/or property developer. It's going to be fantastic, an economy totally built on selling each other houses, what can possibly go wrong? :blink:

It already has gone wrong,,thinking we coudl get rich by selling over priced houses to each other on borrowed money. Forget HPC look at what we are facing massive government borrowing which will have to be dealt with by taxes or cuts and rising unemployment and a currency shot to shreds.

Clearly we're out of the woods now regarding any form of house price crash.

:lol::lol:

As soon as I saw the handle I knew it would be funny, but not that funny.

OP, that is a pathetically weak post; but at least you directed the hot air to where it belongs, your futile cause.

Then I thought again, & clearly the OP is right as the Great Gordo & team have achieved what no other nation has:-

Rising (& unstoppable) unemployment AND (on (some) paper) rising house prices.WOW!!! :o

Tis the highest art form when one cannot physically see how the great edifice is held aloft.

I doubt this will allowed to be posted due to the 'regulation' that we're not allowed to post anything positive, but here goes anyway:

I've seen you desperately trying to find scraps of bad news and posting the links in here with obligatory comments suggesting something bad is about to happen, but it's time to face facts once and for all.

You all seem to have forgotten that house prices have been falling since November 2007, to March 2009. Seventeen months of losses and still you think there's more to come, a second crash of epic proportions is just around the corner.

Well it's not.

Posting forecasts, figures and predictions of catastrophe based on nothing more than events you've made up out of your own heads and opening admitting your actually 'pissed off' that the stock market has picked up makes you look like, in all honestly, like a bunch of malicious vultures.

You hang your hat mainly on the fact the unemployment is still rising. That's about the only factual argument you have left in a world where there's a new news story every day depicting a rosier future for the world economy.

Unemployment will rise for a while yet and here's why - people laid off after years getting a whacking great payout and can afford (and deservedly so) a long break from work. They're all resting on their fat payouts before looking for work again. Firms aren't hiring yet because they can make more profit with the reduced overhead for a while, but that won't last. They'll start hiring again like mad when things pick up in a month or two to level they can't cope with. Some people are still being made redundant I accept, but these are people at the end of the chain (roofers who were finishing off the stuff that others started and still had gainful employment for while, for example). Meanwhile the foundation people who laid off first are starting up business again. So it goes on.

There will be no winter of discontent. No more HPC following seventeen months of crash.

It's over. Business as usual.

You're forgetting HPC's secret weapon - Wee Georgie Osborne's going to be the next Chancellor.

Next leg down - only an election away.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Desperation post, some people like to try and fool themselfs.

Careful here.

I said months and months ago that QE had not been tried before and we would not know it's effect. House prices have gone down and are going down as we speak infact when priced in any currency other than the illustrious GBP.

There is much reminiscing on this board about 2-3x income. Forget it. Fact is in this now pseudo-globalized world the Brits are getting poorer. Poorer by definition means a reduction in purchasing power.

I live in a country filled with skint people. Do you think their house prices are as low as 2-3x income. More like 20x income.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

Eddie Barzoon! Eddie Barzoon! Ha! I nursed him through two divorces, a cocaine rehab, and a pregnant receptionist. God's creature, right? God's special creature? Ha! And I've warned him, Kevin, I've warned him every step of the way. Watching him bounce around like a ing game, like a wind-up toy! Like 250 pounds of self-serving greed on wheels! The next thousand years is right around the corner, Kevin, and Eddie Barzoon--take a good look. Because he's the poster child for the next millennium! These people, it's no mystery where they come from. You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it could split atoms with its desire, you build egos the size of cathedrals, fiberopticly connect the world to every-eager-impulse, grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green gold-pla fantasies until every human becomes an aspiring emperor! Becomes his own God! Where can you go from there? And as for scrambling from one deal to the next, who's got his eye on the planet? As the air thickens, the water sours, even the bees honey takes on the metallic taste of radioactivity--and it just keeps coming! And it just keeps coming! Faster and faster! There's no chance to think, to prepare, it's `buy futures, sell futures' when there is no future!! We've got a runaway train, boy!! We've got a billion Eddie Barzoons all jogging into the future. Every one of them reading to fist- God's ex-planet, lick their fingers clean as they reach out with their pristine cybernetic keyboards to total up their billable hours!! And then it hits home! It's a little late in the game to buy out now!! Your belly's too full, your is sore, your eyes are bloodshot, and you're screaming for someone to help!! But guess what? There's no one there!! You're all alone, Eddie!! [mocking] You're God's special little creature!!

Maybe it's true. Maybe God threw the dice once too often. Maybe He let us all down.

Diaboli virtus in lumbis est. :ph34r:

Careful here.

I said months and months ago that QE had not been tried before and we would not know it's effect. House prices have gone down and are going down as we speak infact when priced in any currency other than the illustrious GBP.

There is much reminiscing on this board about 2-3x income. Forget it. Fact is in this now pseudo-globalized world the Brits are getting poorer. Poorer by definition means a reduction in purchasing power.

I live in a country filled with skint people. Do you think their house prices are as low as 2-3x income. More like 20x income.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

This 'dead cat bounce' has now bounced so far that I think we can give up talking about cats now. However, I don't think that we can even see the edge of the woods let alone be out of them. Most people will live in their own little uk bubble and because they are being paid in and spending sterling will probably never realise or understand what is happening to the £ or why they are really poorer.

Guest Parry aka GOD
This 'dead cat bounce' has now bounced so far that I think we can give up talking about cats now. However, I don't think that we can even see the edge of the woods let alone be out of them. Most people will live in their own little uk bubble and because they are being paid in and spending sterling will probably never realise or understand what is happening to the £ or why they are really poorer.

Affordability will not improve. There's two sides to any equation.

...House prices have gone down and are going down as we speak infact when priced in any currency other than the illustrious GBP.

I live in a country filled with skint people. Do you think their house prices are as low as 2-3x income. More like 20x income...

that makes no sense whatsoever.

poor means a reduction in purchasing power yes but, but, but... you know, when demand goes down, you do get people buying less stuff but, unless the supply curve is a decidedly curious shape, wouldn't you expect, you know, prices to go down a bit as well??

it makes all the sense in the world that a brit would be able to buy fewer imported goods as they become more expensive and his income in sterling doesn't increase correspondingly, but why on earth would the price at which one brit sells his house to another brit rise as unemployment goes up & so on??? please, please, don't tell me you're talking about competition from foreign buyers ['zoot alors, your breetish pwoperdee, it is so cheap, and such a spectacular rental yield, i think i will back up ze camion']? i'd be better off not knowing what you're trying to say, right?

Edited by the flying pig

a dead cat bounce is where the cat hits the street (floor) and bounces.

this is more likely a bull trap....entirely different beast.

Affordability will not improve. There's two sides to any equation.

I never said it would, although think it will for anyone that can either buy cash or has a large cash position.

Anyone needing a mortgage is probably going to find affordability worsening, house prices may come down but in the face of further hpc mortgages are going to get harder to come by and be at higher rates.

Guest Parry aka GOD
that makes no sense whatsoever.

poor means a reduction in purchasing power yes but house price transactions are almost always customer to customer [rather than business to customer].

it makes all the sense in the world that a brit would be able to buy fewer imported goods as they become more expensive and his income in sterling doesn't increase correspondingly, but why on earth would the price at which one brit sells his house to another brit rise as unemployment goes up & so on??? please, please, don't tell me you're talking about competition from foreign buyers ['zoot alors, your breetish pwoperdee, it is so cheap, and such a spectacular rental yield, i think i will back up ze truck']? i'd be better off not knowing what you're trying to say, right?

You'll find that people had purchasing power before because their industries and governments understood what money was, a running account of human ingenuity, resource and production . . . once Britain's strengths, are now alien to it. This will effect purchasing power for everything, including houses. It's called poverty.

Okay if you've got a huge sum of money stashed and can buy for cash, yes prices will go down, but for the rest it's relative to income . . . 210,000 job losses last quarter, no? Yet prices rose, yes?

QE, it's the unknown factor in this.

Guest Parry aka GOD
I never said it would, although think it will for anyone that can either buy cash or has a large cash position.

Anyone needing a mortgage is probably going to find affordability worsening, house prices may come down but in the face of further hpc mortgages are going to get harder to come by and be at higher rates.

Is this a site about affordable housing or just another bunch of speculators with cash? Realist Bear comes to mind.

I doubt this will allowed to be posted due to the 'regulation' that we're not allowed to post anything positive, but here goes anyway:

I've seen you desperately trying to find scraps of bad news and posting the links in here with obligatory comments suggesting something bad is about to happen, but it's time to face facts once and for all.

You all seem to have forgotten that house prices have been falling since November 2007, to March 2009. Seventeen months of losses and still you think there's more to come, a second crash of epic proportions is just around the corner.

Well it's not.

Posting forecasts, figures and predictions of catastrophe based on nothing more than events you've made up out of your own heads and opening admitting your actually 'pissed off' that the stock market has picked up makes you look like, in all honestly, like a bunch of malicious vultures.

You hang your hat mainly on the fact the unemployment is still rising. That's about the only factual argument you have left in a world where there's a new news story every day depicting a rosier future for the world economy.

Unemployment will rise for a while yet and here's why - people laid off after years getting a whacking great payout and can afford (and deservedly so) a long break from work. They're all resting on their fat payouts before looking for work again. Firms aren't hiring yet because they can make more profit with the reduced overhead for a while, but that won't last. They'll start hiring again like mad when things pick up in a month or two to level they can't cope with. Some people are still being made redundant I accept, but these are people at the end of the chain (roofers who were finishing off the stuff that others started and still had gainful employment for while, for example). Meanwhile the foundation people who laid off first are starting up business again. So it goes on.

There will be no winter of discontent. No more HPC following seventeen months of crash.

It's over. Business as usual.

well lets see shall we , 18% of container/tanker ships sitting idle with no cargoes, 49% of foriegn investment left the u.k as pound plummets, and now meredith witney an economist with a good track record of predicting events claims house prices could fall another 25% just a matter of when, banks not willing to lend because unemployment getting out of control, finally alot of sstc coming back on the market where i live also still alot of properties been on market for months, some even over a year so tell me who are going to buy these properties at 07 prices and where are they going to get the money from ? and since when has september been a winter month we are just entering autumn lets see what happens in nov/ dec and jan

Edited by puppee

The reason you think we're out of the crash is because completed transactions are occuring at higher values right?

Well the only reason for this is because cash rich buyers are now coming out of the wood work and there isn't enough supply for their demand, hence they're fighting over what little property is available in the merket. These completed transactions are such a small percentage in the grand scheme of the housing market, so the figures look good.

Remember, THIS IS A SMALL PERCENTAGE. Maybe you should re-evaluate your perception of the market when Joe and Dave down the road start buying again, as well as all of their mates. Then you'll get a true picture of what's actually going on.

Mortgage approvals are also declining, which again hints that these completed transactions are being undertaken by the filthy rich/people still in work/or people that actually earn a fairly decent above average wage. Mortgages are still hard to come by and the LTV's available are still ridiculous.

On another note, decent bargains can be had. My mum's next door neighbour sold and the people that bought it got a fairly decent deal. They paid in cash.

This is just a blip.

You'll find that people had purchasing power before because their industries and governments understood what money was, a running account of human ingenuity, resource and production . . . once Britain's strengths, are now alien to it. This will effect purchasing power for everything, including houses. It's called poverty.

Okay if you've got a huge sum of money stashed and can buy for cash, yes prices will go down, but for the rest it's relative to income . . . 210,000 job losses last quarter, no? Yet prices rose, yes?

QE, it's the unknown factor in this.

I doubt if the last 25Bn is going to make much difference. 16Bn borrowed by HMG last months plus, say, another 7Bn used to buy Gilts to ensure that the auctions are covered, there's not much left to go into the rest of the economy. I know its not direct transactions but the effect is the same.

p-o-p