House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

900 Bosch Jobs At Risk

I remember when Bosch were the savbiour of the Welsh economy...

The story goes that Bosch were originally going to set up their factory in Swansea but, having got caught up in a huge traffic jam in the dual carriageway madness that passes as the M4 around Port Talbot, the Bosch execs reportedly ordered their car turned around and decided to set the factory up outside Cardiff.

Anyhow, looks like it is going to close now.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-24723774/

900 Bosch jobs at risk

Sep 18 2009 By Sarah Miloudi

Comment (1)Recommend THERE are fears for hundreds of manufacturing jobs in South Wales today after an announcement that talks would start over the future of posts at one of the area’s biggest employers.

Bosch currently employs around 900 staff at its factory in Miskin.

But the company announced late last night that it would begin discussions over “the difficult business situation and the future of jobs at the manufacturing facility†amid gloomy sales forecasts.

During a series of briefings at the Miskin plant, workers were warned projections for sales in 2010 had slumped by more than 60%.

Purchases for 2009 dropped by nearly half – 45% – compared to figures for 2008, prompting renewed fears over employment at the 20-year-old site.

Reading from a statement, executives told around 900 staff that talks with the Plant Council could start as early as next week.

Managers at the South Wales car parts facility are expected to establish whether or not they will enter into consultations with the employee representative group over jobs risks.

The announcement, made public at 11pm last night, came after months of challenging business conditions at the manufacturing centre, and follows proposals last November that around 250 posts could face the axe.

It also caps a disastrous 12 months for the manufacturing industry in South Wales, particularly in the area close to the Miskin plant.

L’Oreal, in nearby Talbot Green, shed 200 jobs in March, while the Serious Food Company in Llantrisant cut a similar number of jobs.

In recent years Bosch generator production failed to meet its financial targets, and over the next year a steady decline in customer demand has been predicted, prompting fresh fears over employment as the German firm struggles to move forward.

My brother in law used to fix their FLTs :(

Its not just the Bosch jobs at risk - its all the jobs associated with the plant, like the guys who work for the FLT company, the businesses in the local community, all the way down to the blokes who work for the company contracted to do the gardening/landscaping every week.

Thousands at risk, not just 900

My brother in law used to fix their FLTs :(

Its not just the Bosch jobs at risk - its all the jobs associated with the plant, like the guys who work for the FLT company, the businesses in the local community, all the way down to the blokes who work for the company contracted to do the gardening/landscaping every week.

Thousands at risk, not just 900

House prices in Cardiff and the Vale should be interesting to watch once this closes.

900 :( - b**** hell!

And one of them is Mr Snuggles' job. :( Turnip soup, here I come. I've already told the kids we're eating the guinea pigs for Christmas dinner.*

* Only joking. Gallows humour does seem appropriate under the circumstances, though.

And one of them is Mr Snuggles' job. :( Turnip soup, here I come. I've already told the kids we're eating the guinea pigs for Christmas dinner.*

* Only joking. Gallows humour does seem appropriate under the circumstances, though.

If you breed them first then you will have something for next Christmas and a tasty little business as well.

Guinea pigs and the eating of has cropped up more than once recently it is going to become one of my depression indicators.

ps sorry to hear about the job snuggly kids in tow as well - good luck.

Edited by gravity always wins

900 :( - b**** hell!

Indeed, that is a hell of a lot of jobs to go in that one area, on top of the recent losses at L'Oreal and Simply Food.

And I heard on the radio, that recently Bosch had already laid off 600 temporary and contract workers.

They were first imported to Britain for food, so perhaps worth a try? ;) PS. Hope you don't get chopped. Pob Lwc!

Guest Parry aka GOD

Speaking of which, where is Bosh these days?

XYY Man too.

Even Bart's MIA.

I shall chase with emails.

They were first imported to Britain for food, so perhaps worth a try? ;) PS. Hope you don't get chopped. Pob Lwc!

I'd rather eat a fluffy, cute little lamb.