HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Even more luxury flats then!

The UK hotel sector surely has to go the way of the US model with out-of-town discount chains taking over.

I live in Cornwall, to take two examples for a double room two people, tonight:

Tresanton, wildly over-priced but well-marketed hotel in St Mawes:

1st September to 31st October 2010

Seaview double rooms from £240 to £310, per room, per night

Travel Lodge, fine as long as they're reasonably new, usually in quiet locations so you get a good kip

Saltash Travelodge

from £55.00

per room per night

Hayle Travelodge

from £69.00

per room per night

Anybody fancy just throwing away £200 these days?

HOLA449
Even more luxury flats then!

The UK hotel sector surely has to go the way of the US model with out-of-town discount chains taking over.

I live in Cornwall, to take two examples for a double room two people, tonight:

Tresanton, wildly over-priced but well-marketed hotel in St Mawes:

1st September to 31st October 2010

Seaview double rooms from £240 to £310, per room, per night

Travel Lodge, fine as long as they're reasonably new, usually in quiet locations so you get a good kip

Saltash Travelodge

from £55.00

per room per night

Hayle Travelodge

from £69.00

per room per night

This is what I don't understand about the UK. Even with the weakness of the pound, you can pay less for a nice sea view room on the med, than for a sea view room in Cornwall. As long as this continues, Ryanair will be in business.

HOLA4410

Is this really the case?

As an outsider, I've always liked the economics of the hotel industry. I read the other day that the average room rate is £99 / night. With many of the chain hotels having upwards of 100 rooms, and with relatively low staffing and incremental costs, the numbers look nice on the back of a beermat even if there has been a dip in occupancy rates.

I bet the Travelodges of this world are doing well. Maybe the established chains just need to get competitive now the days of the £150 / night corporate stays are under pressure.

HOLA4411
I'm working in the hotel sector. All I can say is BLOODBATH!

I travel a lot for business, and regularly stay in hotels. I've noticed an enormous increase in the number of emails I get from hotel groups and websites with special offers and 'please come and stay with us and get free breakfast' type offers.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Well isn't the thrust of this thread that the expensive hotels are in trouble and discounting?

Having stayed in YHA through Travelodge to 5* London

Travleodge does the job but if you can now bag 4/5* B&b for less than double Travelodge R/O then great.

HOLA4415
Well isn't the thrust of this thread that the expensive hotels are in trouble and discounting?

Travleodge does the job but if you can now bag 4/5* B&b for less than double Travelodge R/O then great.

Not the one I stayed in recently, two nights, double with cot for baby, two suppers for two. £600. Could have had an all inclusive week in Turkey for that. It was a "destination " hotel though (whatever that means)

HOLA4416
yeah totally agree a luxury hotel where i live opened in 07 now talking to adminstrators and its only going to get worse over the winter down season ?

Its a nightmare for small hotels especially the family run hotels in resorts like Blackpool etc They are all after the same business which to achieve that they need to discount heavily especially during the winter which means no profits, laying off staff, cut back on the content in meals and no refurbishment which means the decor is dated plus wear and tear etc

Some of these hotels are in dire need of repair anyway and this winter will see many go under.

Meanwhile the large chains are dropping rates and going after anything that moves which again puts pressure on the small hotels.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

And I'm agreeing with it!

I suppose it depends what you look for in a hotel. I generally look for a clean quiet room and a decent breakfast. If I'm in a hotel I'm either working away or on holiday, either way I don't spend much time awake at the hotel.

I will sometimes go to a slightly better chain (Hampton Inn over Days Inn) if it's bad weather and I'm cutting my day short as they usually have a lounge with papers and nice coffee.

So I'm sometimes paying $80 a/o $50. And those are the prices I expect to be paying in the UK.

HOLA4419

My recent expeirence: I was in the San Francisco JW Marriott for the past week, and the price of a beer from the mini-bar was more than some travelodge rooms. They didn't have a price list, so I didn't find out till checkout but $12 for a little can of heiniken for fu(ks sake! I'm guessing that they're making less and less money so need to squeeze the remaining few customers they have as much as possible. When I was in Lake Garda a few weeks ago the hotel there wouldn't negotaite on a 300 euro room as he said he can sell them like bread...I had to cough up as the standard rooms were horrid...next year we're going t skeggy ;)

Personally I think this year has been the last blast for a lot of people and next year will see carnage in the hospitlaity industry.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
My recent expeirence: I was in the San Francisco JW Marriott for the past week, and the price of a beer from the mini-bar was more than some travelodge rooms. They didn't have a price list, so I didn't find out till checkout but $12 for a little can of heiniken for fu(ks sake! I'm guessing that they're making less and less money so need to squeeze the remaining few customers they have as much as possible. When I was in Lake Garda a few weeks ago the hotel there wouldn't negotaite on a 300 euro room as he said he can sell them like bread...I had to cough up as the standard rooms were horrid...next year we're going t skeggy ;)

Personally I think this year has been the last blast for a lot of people and next year will see carnage in the hospitlaity industry.

I think that you will find places like Skeggy, Blackpool, and the like will be worse off next year after this washout summer and the experience of poor standard hotels, high prices in the Uk for food, drink, childrens amusements etc and poor service you will be one of the few.

HOLA4423
That's down to the weather.

Weekends atm are as busy as high summer, because the weather's a lot better.

so how can it be a bloodbath then? full for 3 days out of 7. assuming 30% occupancy for the rest of the week, thats nearly 60% occupancy. not too bad.

HOLA4424
I think that you will find places like Skeggy, Blackpool, and the like will be worse off next year after this washout summer and the experience of poor standard hotels, high prices in the Uk for food, drink, childrens amusements etc and poor service you will be one of the few.

Dude, I was joking...I should be living in Vancouver by this time next year, so I'll be on a camping trip or something. England is going down the 5h1tter.

HOLA4425