House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warwick-Watcher

Religious Intolerance

Being a sceptic about organised religion I would argue that our Jedi hero should be treated equally before the law along with any other, perhaps longer established religion, in wearing his chosen clothing without fear of discrimination.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...aring-hood.html

Some of the comments are hilarious, but show little respect for his religious beliefs :P

A Tesco spokesman said: "We would ask Jedis to remove hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side."

:P

Guest skullingtonjoe
We can mock now but look at where Scientology has come from in the past 50 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

For such an eminent Jedi he`s not very good is he? I remember the bit where Obi-Wan Kenobi managed to blag his way past the Imperial Stormtroopers en route to Mos Eisley Spaceport just by using a few simple Jedi mind tricks. Couldn`t Daniel (sorry - I meant `Morda Hehol`) have done the same to a few Tesco security guards? <_<

We can mock now but look at where Scientology has come from in the past 50 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

I agree. What makes a religion is numbers and history; they all have to start somewhere.

There should be a simple test for what qualifies as a religion based upon having some basic features (regular services, books of the religion, number of adherents):

Christianity: 2.1 billion

Islam: 1.5 billion

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Hinduism: 900 million

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

Buddhism: 376 million

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

Cao Dai: 4 million

Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

Tenrikyo: 2 million

Neo-Paganism: 1 million

Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

Scientology: 500 thousand

Why cut off at 500,000? Why is Jedi not in that list when Juche (state religion of North Korea) is?

It is an interesting one at the moment. Why should we respect Islam why taking the piss out of Scientology?

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Guest X-QUORK
I agree. What makes a religion is numbers and history; they all have to start somewhere.

There should be a simple test for what qualifies as a religion based upon having some basic features (regular services, books of the religion, number of adherents):

Why cut off at 500,000? Why is Jedi not in that list when Juche (state religion of North Korea) is?

It is an interesting one at the moment. Why should we respect Islam why taking the piss out of Scientology?

Like suggesting Little Red Riding Hood is official, but Cinderella isn't a recognised tale.

Like suggesting Little Red Riding Hood is official, but Cinderella isn't a recognised tale.

Yes. Sikhs get special privileges but African witchcraft believers (?Nodke) get laughed at.

Though the witchcraft is far more ancient and has more adherents. Who decides?

I would query the figures.I bet they have just added those from "Christian coountries" to the Christian total.My guess is that Athiesm/agnosticism is the biggest in the UK.I class myself as an Athiest Fundamentalist.

Guest X-QUORK
I would query the figures.I bet they have just added those from "Christian coountries" to the Christian total.My guess is that Athiesm/agnosticism is the biggest in the UK.I class myself as an Athiest Fundamentalist.

Atheism is a fundamental position to take, but equally so is that of being a believer. Fundamentally, you either believe in a God or you don't. There is no inbetween.

Thye have a big figure for atheism etc. so I doubt they have done this.

Atheism is a fundamental position to take, but equally so is that of being a believer. Fundamentally, you either believe in a God or you don't. There is no inbetween.

Isn't that just semantics? If you don't believe fundamentally then you are an agnostic, and if you believe fundamentally (and hence have a fixed position) then you are religious or an atheist.

I class myself as an Athiest Fundamentalist.

You should stop being so woolly-minded and uncommitted - come on over and join us noncognitivists.

wiki paraphrase...

to be a strong atheist is to give credence to the concept of God because it assumes that there actually is something understandable to not believe in... From this view atheists have made the mistaken assumption that the concept of God actually contains an expressible or thinkable proposition.

and

Theological noncognitivism holds that the statement "God exists" does not express a proposition, but is nonsensical or cognitively meaningless. It has been argued both ways as to whether such individuals can be classified into some form of atheism or agnosticism. Philosophers A. J. Ayer and Theodore M. Drange reject both categories, stating that both camps accept "God exists" as a proposition; they instead place noncognitivism in its own category

There is lots of in-between - what of the theists, the deists, the pantheists, the polytheists, the antitheists, the implicit atheists, the ignostics, etc etc

Guest X-QUORK
You should stop being so woolly-minded and uncommitted - come on over and join us noncognitivists.

wiki paraphrase...

to be a strong atheist is to give credence to the concept of God because it assumes that there actually is something understandable to not believe in... From this view atheists have made the mistaken assumption that the concept of God actually contains an expressible or thinkable proposition.

and

Theological noncognitivism holds that the statement "God exists" does not express a proposition, but is nonsensical or cognitively meaningless. It has been argued both ways as to whether such individuals can be classified into some form of atheism or agnosticism. Philosophers A. J. Ayer and Theodore M. Drange reject both categories, stating that both camps accept "God exists" as a proposition; they instead place noncognitivism in its own category

Hardcore. I hereby renounce atheism, I'm a noncognitivist now.

You might as well say that believing that the sun exists or not has two equally fundamental positions.

Guest X-QUORK
You might as well say that believing that the sun exists or not has two equally fundamental positions.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

From a purely physics point of view you could hold that position. Take for instance the case that the sun has just disappeared. For the next eight and a half minutes it still exists as seen from Earth, but would have vanished almost five minutes earlier from the point of view of mercury.

Yeah it's down to the fact that some of us still have the intelligence to know how to implement our logic. Jedi is something from a hollywood movie, people say they are jedi if they are joking. We know this to be true, we don't need to spend millions on a quango to find out it it is their human right to be recognised and have them sniggering behind their hands like the children they are.... :rolleyes:

Mayor of Doncaster wouldn't buy any of this crap for a second. I like his thinking.

Yeah it's down to the fact that some of us still have the intelligence to know how to implement our logic. Jedi is something from a hollywood movie, people say they are jedi if they are joking. We know this to be true, we don't need to spend millions on a quango to find out it it is their human right to be recognised and have them sniggering behind their hands like the children they are.... :rolleyes:

Mayor of Doncaster wouldn't buy any of this crap for a second. I like his thinking.

Sorry but I fail to see the difference. Declaring your self to be a follower of Jediism is no more nuts than being a follower of any other religion. They are all as irrational as each other.

Guest X-QUORK
Sorry but I fail to see the difference. Declaring your self to be a follower of Jediism is no more nuts than being a follower of any other religion. They are all as irrational as each other.

Nail on the head.

Yes it's not easy to understand i grant you.

For such an eminent Jedi he`s not very good is he? I remember the bit where Obi-Wan Kenobi managed to blag his way past the Imperial Stormtroopers en route to Mos Eisley Spaceport just by using a few simple Jedi mind tricks. Couldn`t Daniel (sorry - I meant `Morda Hehol`) have done the same to a few Tesco security guards? <_<

I'm not the hoodie you're looking foooorr *mysterious swoosh of hand*

Perhaps the Jedi power comes from keeping the hair covered - a bit like Samson in the Bible getting his strength from his long hair.

Now, who said irrational?

Is there a god? Well, speaking for myself, I'm a man without conviction. I'm a man who doesn't know.