House Price Crash Forum
KingBingo

The Public Sector Workers

The following amused me

http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.com/2009...ndchildren.html

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but with one in six CORRECTION one in FOUR of us now working for the State (something like East Germany) the ******ing money has run out. I know you were promised an easy life and a fat pension by a walrus of a boss, who you have put up with sweating and puffing every time you bent over to pick up a paperclip, I know the chats by the coffee machine were your raison d'etre and your desk houses the worlds largest collection of fluffy animals along with great galleries of your spastic children's "artwork" on every wall. But it's over. The party is over.

So it's time to shave off the moustache, get your hair done, lose some weight, shave your legs, stop wearing sensible shoes, abandon the idea of knocking off at 5pm and throwing a sickie 20 times a year, reading the Guardian whilst having a shit, pack up your cuddly toys and "achievement awards", put back the stolen stationary, download the book you were writing in your "spare time" onto a memory stick

AND GET A F@CKING PROPER JOB.

Shhh. Hear that? The sound of 7 million civil service sphincters puckering like Flander's poppies in the breeze. Bliss.

'Shhh. Hear that? The sound of 7 million civil service sphincters puckering like Flander's poppies in the breeze. Bliss.'

genius

and then they post on here pleading that 8% of salary paid into a pension is really quite a lot and besides, on 25k they're poor and you're all so cruel and it's not fair what with the bankers and stuff

I'm actually applying for a public sector job, its £54k a year and I'm fairly certain the role is to talk ********.

I've read and re-read the job spec, can't for the life of me work out what the actual work is, its a ******** title with a bullsiht team. If I get turned down i'll post it on here the job and see if anyone can work out what it is.

If i get the job I shall hold lots of meetings and commission a report.

I'm actually applying for a public sector job, its £54k a year and I'm fairly certain the role is to talk ********.

I've read and re-read the job spec, can't for the life of me work out what the actual work is, its a ******** title with a bullsiht team. If I get turned down i'll post it on here the job and see if anyone can work out what it is.

Best of luck.

If you get the job I will be interested in what you have to say about it and what it is. It will widen your horizons if nothing else.

In my experience public sector workers divide into two camps:

1. The clock watchers

2. People who are actually genuinely dedicated and want things to work properly

Unfortunately the people who actually want to work are dragged down by the clock watchers who will drain the energy from them by missing deadlines, doing the work incorrectly/incompletely, omitting pertinent information and not communicating generally and throwing endless sickies. The communication problems between departments which would kill a private company simply cause inefficiency and drift in the public sector. The dedicated steadily become more and more cynical and eventually give up. By that point, they are so much a part of the system it is often difficult for them to get work elsewhere.

I'd also like to say that the biggest piss takers tend to be either people who formerly worked in the private sector and see public sector work as one long holiday and/or those who epouse hard left wing views.

Having worked in both the private and public sectors, I feel that the public sector is not as bad as is made out on here and neither is the private sector in the UK a shining example of ultra efficiency staffed by workaholics.

One in four working for the state?

It's more like three out of four working for the state where I am (Belfast).

You basically have two choices:

a ) Work in Tesco

b ) Work for the Government (Civil Service/Council/Teaching/Police)

I know very, very few people who's jobs do not fit into one of the two categories above.

Edited by JoeDavola

I thought it'd been a while since there was a public sector bashing thread on here...

This site is like a broken record at times.

It just goes to show how the bloated private sector is hated.

If you get it, give me a shout. We could coach champions of diversity achievements and facilitate equality exploration.

It just goes to show how the bloated private sector is hated.

Too right pal, the pitchfork-wielding mob isn't going to head for the schools and hospitals (or even the Ministry of Paperclips), that's for sure.

I'd also like to say that the biggest piss takers tend to be either people who formerly worked in the private sector and see public sector work as one long holiday and/or those who epouse hard left wing views.

reason why ex-private sector workers in public sector more likely to take the piss, given they know they can cut it in the private sector anyway, is the same answer to 'why do dogs lick their own b*lls'

yep i would agree with those stats

the immediate family mostly work for the local council

Me, My wife, Dad, Auntie, Uncle, in fact there are not many people who i know who dont.

But for those who continuously "bash" the public sector -

The Only thing that is worse than working for the local council, is working for the local

council when they are short of money!

FYI - was private sector finance employee (insurance) before my change and i will most

likely go back to private sector working when the dust settles.

reason why ex-private sector workers in public sector more likely to take the piss, given they know they can cut it in the private sector anyway, is the same answer to 'why do dogs lick their own b*lls'

I work in the public sector after 8 years in the private.

I'm on a tidy wage, my boss is a honey in her mid 30s.

I start at 9, finish at 5, don't have to spend hours on a train or bus and I have long evenings to enjoy.

I pay 7.2% into a final salary pension.

My work is easy and I don't work with any back-stabbing career driven ***holes.

I very rarely have to work any over time.

There's a very large number of good looking 20 somethings to play with after work.

I have a 3 month notice period.

On the downside.

I never get a bonus, (well not a financial one)

There's no option to work overtime for extra cash if the month's a bit tight.

Best of luck.

If you get the job I will be interested in what you have to say about it and what it is. It will widen your horizons if nothing else.

In my experience public sector workers divide into two camps:

1. The clock watchers

2. People who are actually genuinely dedicated and want things to work properly

Unfortunately the people who actually want to work are dragged down by the clock watchers who will drain the energy from them by missing deadlines, doing the work incorrectly/incompletely, omitting pertinent information and not communicating generally and throwing endless sickies. The communication problems between departments which would kill a private company simply cause inefficiency and drift in the public sector. The dedicated steadily become more and more cynical and eventually give up. By that point, they are so much a part of the system it is often difficult for them to get work elsewhere.

Having worked in both the private and public sectors, I feel that the public sector is not as bad as is made out on here and neither is the private sector in the UK a shining example of ultra efficiency staffed by workaholics.

Do you think this bad attitude is because they work for the public sector, or as a result of working for the public sector

In my experience of the endless hoops that i am made to jump through and also the fact that while some employees get money, great working conditions, and all the honour, while most are just left to rot with low pay and poor working conditions.

This does have an effect on peoples willingness to give 100%

and also do not forget about "grade creep", i.e - the fact you start on one grade, then have so much extra/different work given to do, you are literally doing an Organ Grinders job whilst been paid for monkey work.

1 ina 4? Is this including all the people that work in the banking system?

Does it include all the 'private' sector firms whose main customers are the public sector. E.g. management consultants, defence contractors, healthcare support firms, outsourced rubbish collection/cleaning services etc etc

These 'pribic' companies not only take taxpayers money but then keep a fair chunk for shareholders and bonii.

Difficult one this. I think I hear marginally less b*ll*cks now I work in a hybrid sector, than I did when I worked in the private. That said, my OH works in public and some of his tales would make your hair curl.

I think it is more a problem of the kinds of managers that Britain produces as a country, rather than public vs private. Ime, there seems to be a recurrent failure to actually understand the bottom line amongst many conventional British managers and this is a problem that really comes to the fore when the culture of a place has a nebulous reason for existing (such as a lot of public sector departments and quangos). In these cases, you just get people talking absolute rubbish because they haven't actually sat down and figured out what the whole organisation is actually about and how they are going to measure it. Their style is a total blag.

For me, coming from a start-up background, it is all very weird. I find the idea of 'managers' coming from 'management' backgrounds, rather than ones aligned to the particular industry, to be odd as well. A lot of time in my hybrid public and private sector, I speak to managers who have no clue about the industry areas they are in charge of, and, in meetings, they spout a lot of non-talk and we never get a clear picture of where we are and how we are going to move forward. There's never any definable shape to a project.

Does it include all the 'private' sector firms whose main customers are the public sector. E.g. management consultants, defence contractors, healthcare support firms, outsourced rubbish collection/cleaning services etc etc

These 'pribic' companies not only take taxpayers money but then keep a fair chunk for shareholders and bonii.

So yeah, taxpayers then have to pay these companies also.

Difficult one this. I think I hear marginally less b*ll*cks now I work in a hybrid sector, than I did when I worked in the private. That said, my OH works in public and some of his tales would make your hair curl.

I think it is more a problem of the kinds of managers that Britain produces as a country, rather than public vs private. Ime, there seems to be a recurrent failure to actually understand the bottom line amongst many conventional British managers and this is a problem that really comes to the fore when the culture of a place has a nebulous reason for existing (such as a lot of public sector departments and quangos). In these cases, you just get people talking absolute rubbish because they haven't actually sat down and figured out what the whole organisation is actually about and how they are going to measure it. Their style is a total blag.

For me, coming from a start-up background, it is all very weird. I find the idea of 'managers' coming from 'management' backgrounds, rather than ones aligned to the particular industry, to be odd as well. A lot of time in my hybrid public and private sector, I speak to managers who have no clue about the industry areas they are in charge of, and, in meetings, they spout a lot of non-talk and we never get a clear picture of where we are and how we are going to move forward. There's never any definable shape to a project.

Dead right, the thing is that at least in the private sector they have a decent chance of getting sacked or going bust. In the public sector it can just trundle on forever.

I stress here I am talking about people with jobs that hardly anyone in the real world actually wants doing, not useful people.

That sounds like most of our senior team here. Total waffle; it might technically be English but it makes no f*cking sense. For precisley that reason, I tend to work unilaterally to cut through all the bureauracy and red-tape so I can get things done. These are the half-wits you should be directing your ire at, people on 40-50k for doing sweet Fanny Adams and as most have been here for 15+ years, they're far too expensive to sack (due to redundancy payments). So they'll be here until they leave - if ever - of their own accord.

The NHS rocks.

I work in the public sector after 8 years in the private.

I'm on a tidy wage, my boss is a honey in her mid 30s.

I start at 9, finish at 5, don't have to spend hours on a train or bus and I have long evenings to enjoy.

I pay 7.2% into a final salary pension.

My work is easy and I don't work with any back-stabbing career driven ***holes.

I very rarely have to work any over time.

There's a very large number of good looking 20 somethings to play with after work.

I have a 3 month notice period.

On the downside.

I never get a bonus, (well not a financial one)

There's no option to work overtime for extra cash if the month's a bit tight.

I am Self-Employed.

I work from home and earn £100,000 - £120,000 a year before tax.

I travel abroad 6 times a year.

I dont have a pension, as I do not intend to retire. I love my work.

I can start work when I want and finish when I want.

I dont have any notice to give being self employed.

On my downside

You cant quit. Most self employed people will tell you, either you love working for yourself or you just dont. So why would I want to pay 7.2% of my salary or more into a pension, when I cam just keep working doing something I love.

I look at people in the public sector and question, is their work so miserable, so unrewarding that all they can do is look at the clock and wish away thousands of hours looking forward to retirement.

What are going to do when you retire anyway, play golf all day and drink tea in Blackpool. Do me a favour, life is for living not wishing away.

Me too. There are inefficiences in both, and also hard working, skilled, conscientious people in both. And lets not forget that the bank bail out is due to screw ups in the private sector.

The aggessive anti public sector feeling, I think, stems from personal insecurity.

Would like to find out how many posters here actually work(and whether private or public), and how they find the time to post on internet forums during the working day.