House Price Crash Forum

No Tax Car Clamping

worzel

HOLA441

arrived home yesterday to see a couple of cars on my road had been clamped for not having a valid tax disc. Not sure who owns them but I am guessing they are from the same house judging from where they were parked.

I reckon someone snitched on them rather than the DVLA or whoever sending people round to check up addresses from people that had filled in a SORN, which is what you would do if you didn't wan to buy a tax disc due to no MOT insurance etc.

Any other incidences of this sort of clamp down amongst others areas? It was the first time I have seen a car clamped for no tax.

HOLA442
HOLA443
the scum that is the DVLA have vans with cameras on them that drive round clocking discs

Did you know the DVLA employs more than 4000 people?

No I dont know what they all f*ckin do neither

Blimey, that's a lot. I would be surprised if these were picked up by a camera, its a little residential road in what I would consider a low risk area, you never know though.

HOLA444

the scum that is the DVLA have vans with cameras on them that drive round clocking discs

So would you rather that we ignored law breaking by failing to have a valid road tax certificate whilst keeping a vehicle on the road? Probably asylum seekers own the car anyway so no registered keeper.

HOLA445

Wait until the day when your car is rammed by an untaxed, uninsured 'motorist' and see how you feel about it then.

If you have to claim on your own insurance, then your premiums rise, of course.

If you have to claim through the industry Motor Insurance Bureau, you get about 20p in the pound of your claim.

Remind me again why it is reasonable for some people to decline to pay road tax and insurance.

HOLA446

Your car must have valid tax and insurance. It's the same rules in every country in the civilised world. If you have no tax or insurance you're breaking the law. I would imagine that in some other countries the penalties for such a flagrant disregard for motoring legislation are considerably higher. I just don't get how some motorists think tax, insurance and speed limits are an infringement on their civil liberties. I suppose brakes should be optional too?

If the DVLA employs 4000 people that's one person for every 8250 cars on Britain's roads. There are 33 million cars in the UK. According to the AA the number of uninsured cars seized in 2007 was 150,000, with 40% of these not reclaimed. That's a hell of a lot of paperwork to deal with because motorists wilfully flout the rules. I phoned the DVLA last week to ask what was required to legally import a car from France. The person I spoke to was polite and extremely helpful, gave me all the information I could possibly require and put an information pack in the post to me the very same day. I was frankly amazed by the excellent service I received.

HOLA447
HOLA448

loads of cars get clamped or lifted and taken to a pound, its a partnership usually between the local council and a private clamping co very often a scrap metal dealer.

garage where i used to live used to have to fight the dvla off when they tried to take cars awaiting mot away.

cameras fixed on the roadside at strategic jcns + busy streets read your plate and check a database to see if you're taxed, insured, mot'd - if not you'll get a letter and penalty warning/fine in the post. many police vehicles now have similar fixed to their roof as they drive along + a notification is made to the constable in the vehicle if an apparently un-x'd vehicle has just been read

HOLA449
Guest skullingtonjoe

Given that tax discs are highly visible, it seems a bit of a risk to hope that one day someone in authority will not notice that you do not have a tax disc.

If the costs are too high - and in my opinion a car is a money pit unless you need one - then don`t bother having a car.

HOLA4410

No I dont know what they all f*ckin do neither

Yes, that is why Swansea is different re house prices :blink:

Joking aside, they have been doing this in S'sea for a few years now and it is a blessing - especially around the Uni where numerous students turn up in Sept, park their cars outside residents' homes and do not move them until the end of term... so the untaxed ones end up removed if you call the DVLA.

I have done it in the past, would do it again and true bl**dy right - I pay my taxes so why shouldn't you!?

HOLA4411
Given that tax discs are highly visible, it seems a bit of a risk to hope that one day someone in authority will not notice that you do not have a tax disc.

Colour photocopies?

If the costs are too high - and in my opinion a car is a money pit unless you need one - then don`t bother having a car.

Or if you ignore tax, isnurance, MOT you can buy a cheap car and run it for peanuts. The fines are lower than it would cost you to be covered and they have to catch you first.

HOLA4412
Wait until the day when your car is rammed by an untaxed, uninsured 'motorist' and see how you feel about it then.

If you have to claim through the industry Motor Insurance Bureau, you get about 20p in the pound of your claim.

Remind me again why it is reasonable for some people to decline to pay road tax and insurance.

My last and first major crash (with car ending up written off) involved an uninsured driver running me off the road!

He was a recently retired Suffolk Police Officer!! :lol:

HOLA4413

No one mentioned insurance.

Also, if you are hit by an uninsured driver, sue them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
F*ck tax discs off completely and put it on fuel they are a waste of time and money

Precisely. They only still exist to keep people in jobs. The other way to do it would be to have the MoT certificate as the thing you had to display. At least that would serve some sort of purpose.

HOLA4419
Not as far as I'm aware it doesn't. No MOT, maybe, but even then I doubt it.

On what grounds do you base this?

No MOT or tax invalidates your insurance (the vehicle is not roadworthy), but I haven't come across an insurer yet that will not pay out on third party claims. Just don't expect any money for your repairs, or favours at renewal time!

I'm in the transport business, and have dealt with/gave advise for 100's of claims over the years.

HOLA4420
Not as far as I'm aware it doesn't. No MOT, maybe, but even then I doubt it.

On what grounds do you base this?

Some car insurance policies (granted, not all) state that the car must be taxed and MOT'd.

Having no MOT is a good reason for the insurance company not to pay out as they could argue that the car was not roadworthy. As far as I know, all policies state that the car must be roadworthy.

HOLA4421

my mate had his motorbike stolen from a locked garage last year, it was SORN'd no insurance but it had a MoT.

about 3 months later (after reporting it to the police) he gets a letter saying his bike has been seen 300miles away on the roads with no tax or insurance from the DVLA, and it enclosed £1000 fine.

after alot of arguing they dropped the fine "as a gesture of good will"

HOLA4422
No MOT or tax invalidates your insurance (the vehicle is not roadworthy), but I haven't come across an insurer yet that will not pay out on third party claims. Just don't expect any money for your repairs, or favours at renewal time!

I'm in the transport business, and have dealt with/gave advise for 100's of claims over the years.

No MOT maybe, as I say but it will depend on whether the vehicle was actually dangerous, no Tax though? I still don't buy it. The car is roadworthy, just not road legal. It would be no difference to running red diesel and that wouldn't be reason for an insurer not to pay out. Not having a road tax isn't something which materially affects the insurers risk, if it was they would ask you if you had one and would make it a condition of insurance. Would they still not pay out if you didn't get a disk for a tax exempt pre-'73 vehicle even though it's free to get?

Anyone got a link to an insurance company who has this policy?

HOLA4423
Some car insurance policies (granted, not all) state that the car must be taxed and MOT'd.

Having no MOT is a good reason for the insurance company not to pay out as they could argue that the car was not roadworthy. As far as I know, all policies state that the car must be roadworthy.

Road worthy is not the same as road legal and I can't see that it would be good enough to get an insurer off the hook. You car is not road legal if the number plate is cracked or muddy but how would that mean that an insurer could get out of paying?

I think this is just one of those myths that get put around in order to scare people into getting a tax disc.

HOLA4424

It's a moot point. The are doubtless a few cases of people inadvertently failing to renew their Road Tax by a few weeks, but I'd bet that the vast majority of untaxed vehicles are also uninsured. As one poster mentioned, if you do not have Road Tax it negates many insurance policies (but not all).

HOLA4425
No MOT maybe, as I say but it will depend on whether the vehicle was actually dangerous, no Tax though? I still don't buy it. The car is roadworthy, just not road legal. It would be no difference to running red diesel and that wouldn't be reason for an insurer not to pay out. Not having a road tax isn't something which materially affects the insurers risk, if it was they would ask you if you had one and would make it a condition of insurance. Would they still not pay out if you didn't get a disk for a tax exempt pre-'73 vehicle even though it's free to get?

Anyone got a link to an insurance company who has this policy?

No direct link to insurance company, but found this -

http://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/40-of-moto...-bike-road-tax/

"Its worth pointing out that if you do ride without road tax then your bike insurance is technically invalid as your bike is not legally allowed to be used on the road. This is a grey area, but its worth thinking about, just in case you happen to have a fault accident, or if your bike is stolen at the petrol station for example"

In my experience insurers tend to withhold payment for any excuse!

Edit to add another link!

http://www.insurancesos.co.uk/articles/car...quirements.html

Archived