House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pappie

Your Opinions On Bromley Area

I moved to South London a few months ago and I quite like it. I have experienced living in Lee and Lewisham (very convenient). Most of the people that I meet from the locality recommend that if want to get a house, I should consider Bromley (especially Bickley area). I haven't visited the area yet but from the aerial photos it looks like Ruislip, tidy and with open spaces. My only concern is commuting to central London where I work. Rail connections are not that good from Bromley.

What are your experiences from this area?

i'm not the world's biggest fan. a lot of it depends on your age, interests, budget, etc. there definitely isn't very much going on round there but it is reasonably nice. prices often high for what you get. lots of denial over falls from peak, consequently not much selling.

commuting from bickley station is so-so [30-40 mins to central london, moderate frequency], but within a mile or so you've got petts wood, chislehurst, and elmstead woods, which are served by a different line, more like 15-30 mins to central london and more frequent.

In the Bromley borough there are some lovely areas. Prices are high as a result.

You can get into Blackfriars or Victoria in around 25 minutes from Bromley South or Beckenham Junction.

I moved to South London a few months ago and I quite like it. I have experienced living in Lee and Lewisham (very convenient). Most of the people that I meet from the locality recommend that if want to get a house, I should consider Bromley (especially Bickley area). I haven't visited the area yet but from the aerial photos it looks like Ruislip, tidy and with open spaces. My only concern is commuting to central London where I work. Rail connections are not that good from Bromley.

What are your experiences from this area?

Where in central London do you work as it could make all the difference?

Where in central London do you work as it could make all the difference?

I work in between Holborn and Oxford Street. Currently I take the train that terminates at Charing Cross and then it's a short walk to work. I wouldn't mind using Euston station either.

I grew up in Bickley, I think it's fine

I have to agree with flying pig tho' ...spot on with his summary

I think Bickley and Chislehurst remain overpriced due to reistant sellers, especially at the top end. At the lower end of the market, Grove Park towards Bromley is looking attractive again on pricing and is probably fundamentally undervalued given that its transport links are underestimated. Bickley doesn't have great transport options in my opinion.

I think Bickley and Chislehurst remain overpriced due to reistant sellers, especially at the top end. At the lower end of the market, Grove Park towards Bromley is looking attractive again on pricing and is probably fundamentally undervalued given that its transport links are underestimated. Bickley doesn't have great transport options in my opinion.

Bickley and Chislehurst are nice leafy areas which is why prices are high; lots of people want to live there and are prepared to pay those prices (it's the same for Beckenham, West Wickham etc.)

Grove Park is a shitehole and hardly anyone wants to live there (unless they're into dodgy pubs, fast food joints and 'yoot's prowling the streets.) Hence the prices are low. Grove Park is the Bromley borough in name only. It's more like Lewisham.

If the poster wants to get to Charing Cross then he should look at Hayes or West Wickham. 40 mins into Charing Cross (direct.)

As I said if you need to get to Victoria or Blackfriars then Bromley South / Shortlands / Beckenham are the places to look at (25 mins or so direct.)

i was semi-seriously looking at family sized places in this sort of area over the summer, see thread...

i've just looked back there now, compared to when i looked before it's a combination of: [a] not very many new places, the ones that there are being priced horrifically; places i was looking at before no longer being on the site but seemingly [according to LR, although that can take a whole to feed through] unsold; and [c] the same old rubbish listed at 'peak plus' prices, that has in many cases been listed for a very long time.

anyone looking for value in this area will have to be in it for the very long haul.

this place has been for sale for ever and kind of intrigues me... the price looks, compared to the other stuff out there, quite good for a reasonably big place in a nice area, and it looks impressive from the outside... but then you look at the floorplan and think 'what the ****?', the layout is just bizarre, bordering on uninhabitable... i still think though, at the right [i.e. much lower] price, it could be a nice, and unusual, home for someone with slightly unusual tastes...

Edited by the flying pig

The WW train line is massively overcrowded and less frequent and fast, versus the Sevenoaks line. Bickley and Chislehurst I would put in a different class to Beck and WW, although some parts of Bickley and the Mottingham end of Chislehurst are less desirable. 40 mins! Chislehurst is 20 into London Bridge with options after that. Plus you get supermodels in the pub.

Bickley and Chislehurst are nice leafy areas which is why prices are high; lots of people want to live there and are prepared to pay those prices (it's the same for Beckenham, West Wickham etc.)

If the poster wants to get to Charing Cross then he should look at Hayes or West Wickham. 40 mins into Charing Cross (direct.)

Edited by fallingbuzzard

The WW train line is massively overcrowded and less frequent and fast, versus the Sevenoaks line.

I'm not saying it's brilliant... but unless you get on at Ladywell (which is the last stop before it goes 'fast' to Waterloo East/London Bridge) then you always get a seat.

Having used the service solidly for 2 years I would also say it is the most reliable service of all of them, because it is an all or nothing service i.e. you don't various different routes running on the line they tend to make sure there is a service. When I used the Sidcup or Eltham lines there would be a cancellation every week for one of the trains I would get on, because there were other options the train companies opinion seemed to be it wasn't much of a problem. If one was cancelled there would be another in 10 minutes, but of course that train was then packed with 2 trains worth of people and you often could not get on them.

With the WW line they hardly ever cancel the trains as there is no viable alternative. From my experience rather than one a week it's more like one every two months that get cancelled.

During rush hour the service is every 20 minutes, that's more than regular enough for me.

I've lived in Bromley for the last 5 years, and for me it fits perfectly with what I want out of life at this stage. Open spaces, leafy and green, easy access to the Kent countryside and Central London etc.

You can get to Victoria from Bromley South in as little as 20 mins in the morning (which gives you easy access to Oxford Circus by tube - 2 stops) and home again in as little at 16 minutes. I'm about to start a new job near Picadilly so this is ideal for me. Trains also run from BMS into Blackfriars, City and Farringdon although they are slower.

The convenience of the Glades shopping centre is also appealing to some. But Bromley isn't a social hub, more of a "family with Dad commuting into West End/City" type hub.

But the previous posters' observations of little new housing stock, 2007 asking prices sticking etc are basically true.