House Price Crash Forum

Went for a mooch on Oxford St after work yesterday.

I went in several places including Moss Bros and Sports Direct, the sporting gentlemans outfitters. Not.

They had noticeably less stock on the shelves.

Sports Direct was actually closing down. It looked like the staff have been told to clear the warehouse.

Moss Bros stuff was bedraggled ex sale stuff reheated.

Its starting to look like the 70s again in our shops.

I too, would like a potato......

Still busy round my area.

Yeah it was quite busy in Oxford Street too. It was just very noticeable that the shelves and rails were a little sparse. Could it be supplier costs might be rising? Surely not. <_<

Yeah it was quite busy in Oxford Street too. It was just very noticeable that the shelves and rails were a little sparse. Could it be supplier costs might be rising? Surely not. <_<

People spending their cash before it becomes worthless?

Well, I guess lets just be a bit more optimistic and assume that this is the end of the crisis now.

Working around Europe I see a "picking up" economy already in Germany and Austria.

Lets hope that we will follow soon.

People buying stuff.

Well, I guess lets just be a bit more optimistic and assume that this is the end of the crisis now.

Working around Europe I see a "picking up" economy already in Germany and Austria.

Lets hope that we don't.

The total and utter economic capitulation of the UK is needed to restore house prices to sane levels and clear away the Ancien Regime. :angry:

It's suppliers not restocking because they are technically bankrupt imo, can't get credit & stock prices up due to pound knackered. We are a net importer regardless of what the stats say.

I have noticed this in ALL shops, the rails are thin, the shelves have gaps, the shop floors have space so you can walk around.

It's all there if you look close enough.

It's suppliers not restocking because they are technically bankrupt imo, can't get credit & stock prices up due to pound knackered. We are a net importer regardless of what the stats say.

I have noticed this in ALL shops, the rails are thin, the shelves have gaps, the shop floors have space so you can walk around.

If there's a shortage of goods, I wonder what will happen to prices.

before the pound revaluation they will go up

after the revaluation.........they will go up a lot more.

edited - I understand you were being rhetorical.

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

I have noticed a real lack of quality in clothing available. Monsoon and M&S particularly poor at the moment.

Went for a mooch on Oxford St after work yesterday.

I went in several places including Moss Bros and Sports Direct, the sporting gentlemans outfitters. Not.

They had noticeably less stock on the shelves.

Sports Direct was actually closing down. It looked like the staff have been told to clear the warehouse.

Moss Bros stuff was bedraggled ex sale stuff reheated.

Its starting to look like the 70s again in our shops.

I too, would like a potato......

I found myself wandering around Swindon Outlet Village yesterday; there were many many sales on, more empty units than last time I went and one of the shop assistants commented to me "Yes, there are lots of bargains. Bless the recession".

Oh, and I spoke to someone yesterday at a well-known company who said that for some business-to-business sales they are demanding cash on delivery these days as so much money is being lost as customers go bust

If the pound continues to fall the price of restocking goods sourced abroad for retailers will have to increase. In this scenario I suppose you could expect to see shops widen their isles and generally carrying fewer goods. They could pay the higher price and then hope to pass the price on to the customer but this increases the risk of the prices being just too high for their customers and goods remaining on the shelf. Also customers may be less willing to part with their cash or they might simply not have enough of it left after paying their bills etc.

Goods at the low end of the spectrum in their respective product category could increase in price.

So could things like microwaves, kettles, toasters etc rise in price? I think so.

In terms of food goods, could we see prices rising further for things like tea, coffee and sugar? Also tinned goods have increased such as tunafish, tinned tomatoes and beans.

The fact that we have allowed the demise of manufacturing in this this country and relied upon imports has left us all in a vulnerable position.

I have noticed that the cafes are busy but the actual shops aren't getting much customers through their doors. Customers seem to be thinking twice before spending. Meanwhile the media is desperate to push the message that we are entering a recovery!

Edited by crashologist

Totally agree. This was Oxford Street, London.

Not Stonybridge.

I found myself wandering around Swindon Outlet Village yesterday; there were many many sales on, more empty units than last time I went and one of the shop assistants commented to me "Yes, there are lots of bargains. Bless the recession".

Oh, and I spoke to someone yesterday at a well-known company who said that for some business-to-business sales they are demanding cash on delivery these days as so much money is being lost as customers go bust

bbc link, listen again

Anyone else listen to "In Business" on R4 yesterday evening? It was really interesting, dealing with "trade insurance" and how hard it's become for businesses to get at the rates they were used to. if I understood correctly, this is because the costs of the insurance have increased (surprise!) but also because the insurers are becoming much more reticent.

All sorts of interesting facts in the programme, like the amount of businesses failing to properly file for one.

A lot, to me, hinted at papered-over rot in much of the economy. I might actually post this as a separate link.....

before the pound revaluation they will go up

after the revaluation.........they will go up a lot more.

edited - I understand you were being rhetorical.

90 shopping days (104 days if you include Sunday shopping days) until the VAT goes up.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

I don't think they're technically bankrupt - yet. The retailers could always sell their vast property portfolios....... :blink:

The lines of credit for all business are being sucked in by the banks and also credit insurance companies.

Don't underestimate the consequences of the latter.

Everyone's blaming the banks but the insurers are also contributing to the situation.

I visited one of them out of town retail parks yesterday called Cheshire oaks in Cheshire( :lol: ) and it was dead as a dodo.

I went for a meal there so asked the waiter what the summer had been like for business and his words where plenty of people are coming but no one is buying..

He told me he had been laid off from another place on the site and that has since closed down...

When i go to these places i do the carrier bag check and you can see how many are buying and yesterday not many people buying.

Wait till you see the Library boom / buy 1 cup of tea stay in a cafe for 8 hours to keep warm. Anything is better than being at home in a cold rabbit hutch.

write a series of books about a smart talking guy with magic printing powers and a bad wizard who thought he was born to rule, make a fortune,buy a cheap house in the Hamptons?

I normally avoid Oxford St like the plague, but for some things (eg shoes) it's hard to buy online. Over the last year or so I've definitely noticed that although the footfall in the street (eg the arabs and chavs from Dagenham parading up and down) is much the same, the amount of people in the shops seems to be less, with one noticeable exception - Primark - where the queue for the tills resembles the queue for the last helicopter out of Saigon.

how? are you in business selling to real customers, or just looking in the shops.

Just be careful when you look at the tea leaves you don't see just (1) what you expect to see or (2) what you want to see.

Two posts. I'm busy trying to find out which junior minister has recently been to Germany and Austria. Perhaps I'm wasting my time and should be looking for an MP and his wife who have been on a fact finding mission at public expense during the recess.

p-o-p