House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quiet Guy

Does Owning Gold Make You Feel Better?

I have decided to post an article I found on the blog, posted by Drewster, about possible psychological benefits of handling money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...themselves.html

Of course, the study was concerned with fiat cash but I wondered if there might be a similar effect on people who handle gold?

The impression I get from the forum is that a substantial number of us hold physical gold. I keep most of mine squirreled away somewhere hard to get at but I do have a small collection of sovereigns that I keep accessible. It never ceases to amaze me that my little collection of sovereigns ranging from 1857 to 2009 have roughly the same value (ignoring numismatic issues.)

Do any other forum contributors keep gold at hand and have you considered that it might give you some psychological benefit?

Yes, I feel good owning gold. Don't get any particular high out of holding it. Was intrigued the first time I held, but past that now.

Building the stack was not stressful, more like the sensations you get from the best fair ground rides. A good high.

Our average is south of 540 an ounce, so it got a bit spooky when it was under 560 recently. Reminded me of time following first purchases when you had to wait for price to climb before averaging in.

blobloblob, Here is an article that is as helpful/unhelpful as all the other advice you have had.

http://dailyreckoning.com/the-post-crash-party-continues/

I'd recommend holding out for under 600, what do others think.

Edited by DiggerUK

That's a good read DiggerUK. <Big edit I as just wrote some crap>. I want a fall but I want to own now - horns of a dilemma and all that. Pity I was skint back in the days when Brown was selling off the country's stash.

Edited by blobloblob

That's a good read DiggerUK. <Big edit I as just wrote some crap>. I want a fall but I want to own now - horns of a dilemma and all that. Pity I was skint back in the days when Brown was selling off the country's stash.

could buy scrap, is cheaper and gold is gold, goldline post prices that they will pay for scrap which is a good working guide.

easy to resell to bullion houses/refiners and depending on the size of your tfh it is easy/best to trade.