House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScaredEitherWay

Ambitious 'russia Tower' Now A Parking Lot: Official

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090917/tod-a...ng-7f81b96.html

This has happened somewhere else I know, on a smaller scale... hotel bought, PP obtained, hotel demolished, now the land/plans are for sale at £1.75 million, but it's operating as a rough-ground car park

Russian billionaire's ambitious plan to build Europe's tallest skyscraper has been toppled by the economic crisis and the site will now be a parking lot, a top Moscow official said on Thursday. Skip related content

Related photos / videos Site for the construction of the Russia tower in Moscow Enlarge photo More photos: Oddly Enough

The site will eventually contain some structure, but it will be "less grand" than the proposed 612-metre (2,008-foot) Russia Tower, Moscow Deputy Mayor Vladimir Resin said in an interview with Echo of Moscow radio.

"Construction of the Russia Tower has practically not begun .... For now there will be a parking lot there," said Resin, the Moscow city government's top official for construction.

"The project that will be realised there will be less grand than the one that was proposed," he added.

Billionaire developer Shalva Chigirinsky said in November that the crisis had forced him to freeze work on an array of projects, including the Russia Tower, designed by famed British architect Lord Norman Foster.

The tower was to have been the tallest in Europe and the second tallest building in the world, according to Chigirinsky's company, Russian Land.

Ground was broken on the project in September 2007, a time when the Russian economy was booming, largely thanks to high oil prices.

But work stopped amid the financial crisis as the once-booming Russian construction sector was badly hit and developers like Chigirinsky found themselves saddled with massive debts.

The fate of the Russia Tower mirrors that of the Palace of Soviets, a project conceived in the 1930s that would have placed a huge tower in central Moscow capped by a triumphant statue of Bolshevik founder Vladimir Lenin.

The regime of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin pursued the project as a way of showing that Communism could outdo the achievements of capitalism, notably the skycrapers of New York City.

But the Palace of Soviets was never built and in the 1950s a large swimming pool was placed on the site.

Vanity architects like Norman Foster are going to have a lot of time on their hands in the near future.

I might ask him if he wants to do my shed.

:P:P I want a greenhouse - only 5' x 5' - do you think he'll take it on?

Theyve been planning that thing since almost the fall of communism. Similar time i think that London Bridge 'shard' obscenity has been planned. Shouldnt build such tall buildings in Northerly cities like London or Moscow, cast a shadow miles long in the winter half of the year.