House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

More Than Half Of Scots Now Out Of Work

More than half of Scots now out of work

Fewer than half of Scots are now in work, according to latest unemployment statistics, which show the UK jobless total approaching 2.5 million for the first time in 14 years

There have now been 18 successive monthly increases in unemployment, making it highly likely that General Election year will see numbers out of work climb to three million. But there is evidence that the public sector is cushioning the effect of the downturn.

Young people are bearing the brunt of the recession, with unemployment among those aged 16-24 rising to 947,000 – a rate of 19.7% which is the highest since records began. Employment Minister Jim Knight admitted: "We must all play a part in making sure we don’t lose a generation."

The full breakdown for young adults in Scotland will not be available until next month’s figures. But among those designated "economically inactive" – those unemployed but not seeking work because of sickness, disability, retirement, domestic commitments or being in education – there was a sharp rise year-on-year of 8% among young adults, indicating that many are staying on at college or university because of the tough jobs market.

Scottish unemployment rose by 11,000 over the last three months to 187,000, an increase of 75,000 on last year, giving a rate of 7% which is catching the UK rate of 7.9%. This was reflected in a rise of 2200 in the claimant count, taking the number on Jobseeker’s Allowance to 132,900 – up a huge 53,000 on last year.

The number of Scots in work fell by 23,000 over the previous quarters and by 57,000 over the year, giving total employment below 2.5 million – less than half the population of the country.

The annual fall by 2.4% in the number of jobs varies greatly by sector. The fall in the agriculture, forestry and fishing sector was 15.7% (5000 jobs lost), in manufacturing it was 6% (13,000), construction 4.1% (6000), and in distribution, transport, finance and business services it was 3.6% (40,000) – reflecting the turmoil in the financial sector. In mining, energy and water supplies the loss was 2.5% (1000).

However, in the education, health, public administration and other services sector – which includes but is not restricted to the public sector – there were 7000 jobs created (up 0.8%).

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy said the figures showed the true cost of global economic conditions. "In the midst of all the talk of economic recovery, no-one should lose sight of the fact the recession is still having a real impact on families, particularly those on modest and middle incomes," he said. "Our priority is to help maintain employment wherever possible and, where jobs are lost, to get people back into work as soon as we can. It is undoubtedly a challenge but it is one I am confident we can face if we work together."

Enterprise Minister Jim Mather said the Scottish Government’s recovery plan was supporting 15,000 jobs and he said Scotland continued to have higher employment, lower unemployment and higher rates of economic activity than the UK as a whole.

He said: "We have accelerated major infrastructure investment, and it is crucial that we are able to continue this good work. Therefore, we are urging the Chancellor to use his pre-Budget report to allow us to accelerate capital spending into 2010-11."

Shadow Scots Secretary David Mundell said: "Unemployment in Scotland is up over 65% on a year ago. That’s over twice the rise that some areas of the UK have experienced."

At the TUC conference, general secretary Brendan Barber said: "There are now over a million people out of work for more than six months, more than one in three of them under 25. There are no signs of recovery here."

Sean Figg, of campaign group Youth Fight for Jobs, said: "Gordon Brown and David Cameron are calling for massive cuts in public spending – this will clearly have an impact on young people, especially those unlucky enough to be unemployed."

Is there any more proof required to explain why it is that reckless lending and Fred-the-shred-enomics has created such a huge bubble up here? For those that live up here or know the tartan landscape, houses are still selling for ridiculous sums all over the place, even in North Ayrshire where you can expect to get stabbed or mugged just a footfall from your £200k doorstep.

Yes, it is different up here, in that the job losses per capita are much higher than than of our English cousins.

Next year will see some very hard times, as Westminster, who have already announced a 1.5Billion cull in the Scottish budget, will likely whack a bunch more off of it.

Other than the banks in Edinburgh and the remnants of the North Sea industry, there is zero real economy up here in this big council estate.

I despair. Especially for those who bought into the mania. Right McTwat?

There is a London based Scotsman I'd like to see out of work. Snag is he qualifies for a fat pension and I suspect a board position at Goldman Sachs for "services rendered."

What are you on about; he's Southwark Council's Diversity Outreach Co-ordinator.

thats right, boys done well since the sex change.

More than half of Scots now out of work

Is there any more proof required to explain why it is that reckless lending and Fred-the-shred-enomics has created such a huge bubble up here? For those that live up here or know the tartan landscape, houses are still selling for ridiculous sums all over the place, even in North Ayrshire where you can expect to get stabbed or mugged just a footfall from your £200k doorstep.

Yes, it is different up here, in that the job losses per capita are much higher than than of our English cousins.

Next year will see some very hard times, as Westminster, who have already announced a 1.5Billion cull in the Scottish budget, will likely whack a bunch more off of it.

Other than the banks in Edinburgh and the remnants of the North Sea industry, there is zero real economy up here in this big council estate.

I despair. Especially for those who bought into the mania. Right McTwat?

You are hysterical

I guess the profitable Scottish firm that I work for is nothing more than a figment of my imagination then?

Oh and as for this shite about "half of Scots" being out of work, well about 40% of Scots are either under 18 or above the retirement age. Typical headline hysteria.

do you know if skye bridge is profitable?

considering they stopped charging in 2004 I would say

NAW!

and the ludicrous design (its like a big dipper)

was to allow Brittania to pass under it once !

and its totally taken away the pleasure of humming speed bonny boat

as well

It must be tempting. Dumping....sorry, Independence for Scotland saves the remaining 90% of the UK roughly £35 billion p.a. IIRC, based on next years figures, which are no doubt way out in the wrong direction.

All it takes is a referendum with a simple ned-like question.

It must be tempting. Dumping....sorry, Independence for Scotland saves the remaining 90% of the UK roughly £35 billion p.a. IIRC, based on next years figures, which are no doubt way out in the wrong direction.

Tsk tsk!

It's not dumping a liability, it's spreading the values of freedom, democracy and decentralisation!

Have you been skipping your compulsory doublespeak classes again?

I doubt that would be the end of the whining though.

Ah but whit aboot the........... ??

Fill in the blank from the list below

oil, gas, sassenachs, windfarms, West Lothian question, footie, care homes, students, Indians, etc etc etc.

In fact I'm not sure what some Scots would talk about if they had independence.

Hang on, I'm against it - if Scotland were no longer in the UK then Brown couldn't be charged with treason.

Dinnae furget the oil lassie!

I'll let McGlashan explain

he's far more eloquent than myself

I doubt that would be the end of the whining though.

Ah but whit aboot the........... ??

Fill in the blank from the list below

oil, gas, sassenachs, windfarms, West Lothian question, footie, care homes, students, Indians, etc etc etc.

In fact I'm not sure what some Scots would talk about if they had independence.

Hang on, I'm against it - if Scotland were no longer in the UK then Brown couldn't be charged with treason.

Ahem.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8258442.stm

To selectively quote the artical "It represents an unemployment rate of 7% in Scotland, compared with a UK figure of 7.9%."

In the words of that great Scotsman pictured earlier (The one with the bandage, not the one deserving a bandage!) "get it right up ye!". :lol:

Dinnae furget the oil lassie!

I hadn't.

£44 billion drain on UK - £9 million oil income = £35 billion drain on the UK. Vote Now!

EDIT:- oops. Oil income £9 Billion .......... fwiw.......not a lot

Have you been skipping your compulsory doublespeak classes again?

Since I was about 12 in glorious sunny Ayrshire-on-Sea

Edited by Laura

To selectively quote the artical "It represents an unemployment rate of 7% in Scotland, compared with a UK figure of 7.9%."

Do you mean to say they aren't sending the retired, under 18s and infirm out to work? If not, WHY NOT!

(To be said while thumping your fist down on a copy of the Daily Mail)