House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Reported A Suspected Benefit Cheat

Reported a suspected benefit cheat today using the DWP benefits hotline.

This guy took me to Court (the case will be heard next month) over a dispute over a refund and I got suspicious when I discovered from one of the Court officers that he didn't need to pay any Court fee's. Also discovering that his home address was in fact a hostel in the East Midlands. Strange because he operates four web based business to my certain knowledge.

I have tracked down a lot of his forum posts on certain "consumer action websites" and appears to be a what I would describe as vexatious litigant (launching pointless and meritless CC actions against anyone, including Equifax, Credit Card Co's, Debt Recovery people and me!). Seems the guy has "issue's" and not sure I should be adding to them!

We tend to think as benefit cheats as casual, cash in hand types but the internet has added a whole new dimension.

This guy took me to Court (the case will be heard next month) over a dispute over a refund and I got suspicious when I discovered from one of the Court officers that he didn't need to pay any Court fee's. Also discovering that his home address was in fact a hostel in the East Midlands. Strange because he operates four web based business to my certain knowledge.

I have tracked down a lot of his forum posts on certain "consumer action websites" and appears to be a what I would describe as vexatious litigant (launching pointless and meritless CC actions against anyone, including Equifax, Credit Card Co's, Debt Recovery people and me!). Seems the guy has "issue's" and not sure I should be adding to them!

We tend to think as benefit cheats as casual, cash in hand types but the internet has added a whole new dimension.

If you pretty certain you are not wasting an investigation team's time, then it is always the right thing to do.

yes

with one caveat: the MPs have been stealing far more than that, which makes reporting someone for benefit theft seem harder to do. However, 2 wrongs dont make a right, so yes - correct.

but i would like to set up a Report Your MP or Civil Servant for fiddling their expenses hotline, thats just as badly needed - bloody hypocrits

yes

with one caveat: the MPs have been stealing far more than that, which makes reporting someone for benefit theft seem harder to do. However, 2 wrongs dont make a right, so yes - correct.

but i would like to set up a Report Your MP or Civil Servant for fiddling their expenses hotline, thats just as badly needed - bloody hypocrits

I don't think thats going to happen. Like the banksta's no lessons learned and "Business as Usual." :angry:

yes

At the height of the Expenses scandal there were lots of promises from MP's to post all their expense claims online. It will be interesting to see how many feel they now have to actually honour this promise.

You did right to report the cheat.

You may well be helping him.

Anyway it serves him right. He is taking you to court. Fight fire with fire.

If he is cheating he will get everything he deserves.

Guest theboltonfury

Yes, you did the right thing.

There is no benefits cheat hotline here in France

You do not "report people here" this dates back to World War 2 and French resistance v French collabaration

During the war all you had to do was to telephone the local Gestapo and say that he or she or in most cases families feuding over land food and say that they were against the nazi's and you were shot dead

This is why you often see lots of little headstones on the sides of the roads often just outside of a town mostly innocent civilians were murdered there bodies were left there for a few weeks as a warning to others

I believe that if you have anything to say to somebody say it in front of them

I would always say' Never - a sneak was always given a good fagging at school!'. However, in your case - a sh1t like the one you describe needs a good drubbing. Go for it.

I would always say' Never - a sneak was always given a good fagging at school!'. However, in your case - a sh1t like the one you describe needs a good drubbing. Go for it.

Yes, I would agree. Consumer action forums. Well, what can you say about the characters that frequent these places?

Let's be honest, you can see right through most of them when they request information on getting benefits.

But they really are idiots because the web is full of trackers who know exactly who they are. One would be tracker who is really hilarious is FITZWILLIAM. Check out his technique here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum...pression-3.html

Not only has he told lies and is guilty of libel, but he has collected a mish-mash of information and hobbled it together in some sort of fixation attack on another member. He loves to edit so a snapshot of his work is recommended if you want to follow him for entertainment or other purposes.

The Net is certainly full of em. :D

At the height of the Expenses scandal there were lots of promises from MP's to post all their expense claims online. It will be interesting to see how many feel they now have to actually honour this promise.

You did right to report the cheat.

Ah....yes...well..er.. you see, the problem is this: we have looked into it and the problem is that this is a very difficult difficult thing to do for the following reasons:

1. security. it's very difficult indeed, not to mention costly, to get the appropriate security mechanisms in place to protect people, mostly me of course.

2. time. taking the time to do this, admittedly very important task, would take me away from serving my constituents, whcih, as you know, is my prime and only consideration.

3. did I mention security?

so, we're definitely looking into this and I promise to report back soon in a 562 page report.

thank you.

Only you can weigh up whether this is useful or not.

If someone is obviously ill or desperate and they are costing you 50 quid then it is probably best to turn the other cheek, rise above and all that. If they are costing you more then only you can decide at what cost you can no longer turn the other cheek.

If someone is going after you legally, causing you grief and appears to have a hisotry of this, and also is getting a free ride from the court system, then what choice do you have. As someone else said - fight fire with fire.

I went through a nasty legal dispute several years back and eventually larnt that the person causing me problems was on benefits but would flog antiques at fayres so I rang up the DSS fraud hotline and reported that person. I believe they do not respond unless you make two or more calls. It is also important to ring the fraud line in your local Council - believe it is council tax related - as they move faster and interact with the DSS line.