House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Do The Banks Affordability Calculations Take Into Account Tax Benefits

I'm been wondering if the affordability criteria banks have run to ensure people can afford to repay have modelled in such things like child tax credit, child benefit etc.....

Assuming they have clearly this is one massive failure of risk management because the assumption clearly was that these benefits would continue. If they are modified in any way surely the lower earning middle classes are at huge risk of being up sh1t creek without a paddle. Suddenly there nice affordable loans are going to become more difficult to repay.

Can anyone shed any light onto what our glorious banks have done in these wonderful affordability models. Seeing as the BoE have total faith in what the banks have done and see no need to have their own models to see what happens if they move interest rates up.

I'm been wondering if the affordability criteria banks have run to ensure people can afford to repay have modelled in such things like child tax credit, child benefit etc.....

Assuming they have clearly this is one massive failure of risk management because the assumption clearly was that these benefits would continue. If they are modified in any way surely the lower earning middle classes are at huge risk of being up sh1t creek without a paddle. Suddenly there nice affordable loans are going to become more difficult to repay.

Can anyone shed any light onto what our glorious banks have done in these wonderful affordability models. Seeing as the BoE have total faith in what the banks have done and see no need to have their own models to see what happens if they move interest rates up.

Yes i think they do. When we were looking for a new mortgage they asked how much child benefit/tax credit we got to give our total income. I questioned it as we don't count it as income and put it aside separately for when the boys need shoes etc i don't ever count it as money for us to spend on basic living costs. The bank however did and included it in the calculation. Thankfully i found hpc and str instead.

I know lots of people who do rely on the tax credits and they earn decent money. It equals about £45pm for the basic.

A single mum in a job paying £6p/h gets a £100k mortgage (90%ltv) by one of the bailed out banks.

All down to tax credits!

Edited to add: They ignored the fact that tax credits are used to cover fees of afterschool club!

Edited by Nick Dastardly

So have the banks factored in what will happen if these benefits get pulled? It sort of seems a Miras by the back door for the banks.

People given money to help with bringing up Children and the bankers have helped themselves to the cash.

It sort of seems a Miras by the back door for the banks.

Many moons ago I started a thread a thread suggesting that very hypothesis and I was derided by most quarters.

I still think it affects the market in this way.

WTC should be the first port of call for a new Tory government...... but for the damage it would do to the housing market. So can't be done.

Oh well, how about cutting housing benefit? I can see some problems there too....

Maybe printing money was the best idea all along.

Well Technically the Tax Credit is a offset, as Most lenders when they ask how many dependents do you have, the system deems a figure that you would need to raise a child on a monthly basis. For example £170 per child. This is then taken off your desposable income and gives you a Loan amount.

WTC should be the first port of call for a new Tory government...... but for the damage it would do to the housing market. So can't be done.

Oh well, how about cutting housing benefit? I can see some problems there too....

yep, the best outcome for most people on this site and the UK's long term health is the time when the IMF are called in, its just a matter of being patient and waiting for it to happen as its inevitable

Many moons ago I started a thread a thread suggesting that very hypothesis and I was derided by most quarters.

I still think it affects the market in this way.

Do you know where the thread is?

It would also do serious damage to the banks balance sheets meaning another bailout.

It's catch 22.