House Price Crash Forum

Tv Full Of Misery

Guest pioneer31

HOLA441
Guest pioneer31

Is it me or are the TV schedules full of 'feel bad' telly?

Last night we had an hour devoted to Swine Flu - just in case you'd forgotten about it, here's a reminder!!

Then we have other programmes about the Economic Crash, nuisance neighbours, drunken slobs, kids with awful diseases and so on...

Any chance of something entertaining or are the media (the BBC being the worst offender IMO) hell bent on heaping misery on the entire nation?

Before you say "don't watch then"...I tend not to....but I'd like my licence fee to fund something other than this drivvel.

HOLA442
Guest AuntJess

S'funny really. We are in a recession and no one seems to think we need cheering up. During and after the last war, the films were all up-beat, colourful musical extravaganzas.

Kitchen sink dramas too. Corrie and East Enders are not exactly a bundle of laffs.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Television was hijacked in the early 90s by journalists - nowadays most of the senior posts in TV land are held by former journalists.

They see everything, IMPO, in the negative and they, IMPO, get off on it. They love doing endless programmes of 'talking heads' of grey suited grey minded people, usually politicians, talking about depressing things.

Quality documentaries cost money and require skill as do Comedies, Drama and such-like so, well, everything comes down to how cheaply it can be made and whether some boring journo can make it or not.

Even what passes for documentaries nowadays usually are nowhere near the standard, with the rare exception, of documentaries of 10 or 20 years ago. Journos who work in TV land nowadays all think they are doing World In Action when they are simply turning out dross.

On a practical note, watching and/or listening to endless programmes about bad news or boring people or soap operas full of miserable people is really bad for your mental well-being and that has a negative affect on your physical being. It can alter your brain-wave patterns and you end up clinically depressed.

They can't make cheerful, upbeat comedies and such-like today because:

1. They do not know how to

2. They lack the skill

3. They do not have the budgets to do so

4. Lastly, but most importantly, they do not realise that what they are turning out is sh*te - people in TV actually believe, IMPO, that we all orgasm at the thought of Andrew Marr and Co on a Sunday morning! Yawn.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I yearn for the World in Action and Panorama of old.

And all those old ITC drama's like The Prisoner, Randall and Hopkirk, The Saint, Man in a Suitcase, Department S, and Jason King. Cheap but shot in colour and considered sophisticated in their day. ITV4 has been my favourite channel recently.

I wonder if the emphasis on production values is destroying drama. I wouldn't mind going back to a simple studio shot drama, if it had a good script.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Is it me or are the TV schedules full of 'feel bad' telly?

Last night we had an hour devoted to Swine Flu - just in case you'd forgotten about it, here's a reminder!!

Then we have other programmes about the Economic Crash, nuisance neighbours, drunken slobs, kids with awful diseases and so on...

Any chance of something entertaining or are the media (the BBC being the worst offender IMO) hell bent on heaping misery on the entire nation?

Before you say "don't watch then"...I tend not to....but I'd like my licence fee to fund something other than this drivvel.

It's just electioneering from Labour - You've never had it so good.

Archived