House Price Crash Forum
bogbrush

Postal Workers Balloting On Strike Action

This really is an old dinosaur throwing it's weight around as the asteroid zooms through the atmosphere. There's a few items they really need to consider;

* it's going to cause very little inconvenience. Most of the mail now is stuff people don't want to receive (junk, bills, irrelevent communication from government). Businesses won't care a jot as e-mail is the normal form of communication now. This will be a moment when everyone realise that they won't really miss them when they're gone (in this form).

* if things are bad in the finances of the Post Office, this just makes it worse.

* they're striking against things that have to be done; the alternative is just collapse anyway.

* everyone knows it's hideously inefficient anyhow.

By the way, I saw that silly old bugger on Newsnight last night waffling on that this is a bankers crisis. Can't anyone remind these guys that what's happened is that the crisis simply removed the artificial life support that the economy has been running on - the lack of credit defaulting conditions back closer (but not close enough) to "normal"?

The economy has actually been sh***ed for ages; the credit boom was/is an iron lung.

I've been largely ignoring it but I'm really not sure I get the postal strike thing.

From what I have overheard the posties are hacked off because the govt want to chop em up and because they want more money and more job security? Hey! Wake up! None of us have much security, none of us have enough cash to buy the house we want, the govt hates us all whatever.

Striking is utterly stupid, just plays into Mandy's hands, he'll use it to point out what overpaid layabouts they are and send in the hatchets. The union top-boys are all taking bungs from govt anyway, probably inciting the posties to 'take action'.

Better to get creative. Deliver every bit of UK junk-mail to Mandy's house. And no 10. Etc.

Make use of what you've got, move on from the 19th century why dontcha?

Our postman is absolutely brilliant. Rural postmen are one of the few regular people you see everyday. He's invaluable at keeping an eye on the old and frail. He'll also collect outgoing mail.

He went skiing last year - paid for by his Xmas tips! Worth every penny IMO.

Our postman is absolutely brilliant. Rural postmen are one of the few regular people you see everyday. He's invaluable at keeping an eye on the old and frail. He'll also collect outgoing mail.

It's a shame but I think these times are numbered.

One postman does not a postal service make.

By the way, I saw that silly old bugger on Newsnight last night waffling on that this is a bankers crisis. Can't anyone remind these guys that what's happened is that the crisis simply removed the artificial life support that the economy has been running on - the lack of credit defaulting conditions back closer (but not close enough) to "normal"?

The economy has actually been sh***ed for ages; the credit boom was/is an iron lung.

Nail on head!

Can they somehow resuscitate and switch life support back on or will this monster die and allow us to return to sound economics with sound money?

This is a really bad strategy on their part.

All that a strike will accomplish is to push even more people to use electronic rather than physical delivery which further shrinks the size of their market and further diminishes their ability to earn income or enjoy job security.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face ......

Hope he paid tax on them.

It's a shame but I think these times are numbered.

I think the rural economy is actually going to get better rather than worse. People seem to have realised that community awareness is important for a more fulfilling life.

No, but he's not the only one. I reckon 95% of postal workers are perfectly decent.

It can't always just be about money and saving a penny on post etc. I think Royal mail do a good job on a very uneven playing filed. Once they are gone ( and they will be gone) this will be bad news for a lot of communities.

I think teh government want the posties to go on strike to aid their final goal.

Second post went, then 1st post became mid-morning if you are lucky post. It's not exactly skilled work. I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic here.

I am sure the postmen would prefer two posts still per day.

Second post went, then 1st post became mid-morning if you are lucky post. It's not exactly skilled work. I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic here.

Just because something isn't skilled doesn't make it less valuable.

Perhaps the human interaction is the most important bit.

sigh

The problem is that the crook labour put in charge of royal mail is also on the board of directors of one of the private mail firms... TNT I think.

He agreed to have royal mail deliver the mail of the private mail firms at a fraction of the price it costs to deliver it.

Where-as royal mail used to make a profit on bulk mail, subsidising the cost of stamped mail, now it makes a massive loss. Basically, the private mail companies collect bulk mail from businesses, charge them, say, 20p, then take it to royal mail who have to deliver it for 5p. (Figures are representative not accurate) The private mail firm collect 15p for doing the easy part and roayl mail are left with 5p for doing the expensive part.... walking door to door. There are many of private mail firms, but none of them would be trading if they had actually DELIVER the mail.

This is THE ONLY reason Royal Mail are stuggling.... they have been deliberately screwed over.

The posties should just refuse to deliver the mail for the private mail companies.... mark it insuffiecient postage and return it.

I am sure the postmen would prefer two posts still per day.

In the olden days they used to have many deliveries a day. My gran had some amazing postcards that her family sent to say they'd see her later that day. Like SMS on paper I spose.

It's almost unbelievable to think that in the cities they had about 10 a day (was something on the TV about it the other day) but even out in the sticks where she lived they had loads.

I bet most postal workers do a good job and work as hard as the rest of us. However, I just do not believe in Striking as a way of getting what you want.

It comes across to me as bullying, childish and selfish. I could understand if it was about something serious like, abuse in the work place or some outragous treatment, but even then I think its more sensible to resign and do something else, rather than strike.

If I get a small payrise, or even don't get one, I don't walk out and refusing to do my job (and my job doesn't even effect the general public). I negotiate and argue my case and then accept the result, If I am that disatisfied, then I resign and move on.

More annoyingly, I often find out that union members who strike often earns a way above average wage for their job type, than most. I don't know in this case however :)

I doubt Posties would find it acceptable if they had their wages docked because staff werent willing to go on a training course, or increase their contribution in someway.

I bet most postal workers do a good job and work as hard as the rest of us. However, I just do not believe in Striking as a way of getting what you want.

It comes across to me as bullying, childish and selfish. I could understand if it was about something serious like, abuse in the work place or some outragous treatment, but even then I think its more sensible to resign and do something else, rather than strike.

If I get a small payrise, or even don't get one, I don't walk out and refusing to do my job (and my job doesn't even effect the general public). I negotiate and argue my case and then accept the result, If I am that disatisfied, then I resign and move on.

More annoyingly, I often find out that union members who strike often earns a way above average wage for their job type, than most. I don't know in this case however :)

I doubt Posties would find it acceptable if they had their wages docked because staff werent willing to go on a training course, or increase their contribution in someway.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

sigh

The problem is that the crook labour put in charge of royal mail is also on the board of directors of one of the private mail firms... TNT I think.

I think the core of the problem is in some of the sorting offices (probably in the large cities e.g. London, Liverpool and Coventry) according to the DT from 2 years ago...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/156...of-dispute.html

Goodness, imagine being asked to work a full shift and help colleagues out. The shock of the request alone is enough to bring on a stress related compensation claim !

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

No not at all, I am 30. Does my opinion reflect my age? Or my generation? :) I have had the same opinion since I have been in the work place.

I can see that if you have been in the same work place all your life, then resigning is undesirable, however, there are worse things in the world, a lot of people don't have the luxury of having a job that long. Its not like you have to resign on the spot, you can find your self a good alternative position before resigning and stating your reasons.

The fact is though, no matter where you go, you can not count on always getting above inflation pay rises. Or even cost of living increases. Sometimes we just have to take the good with the bad and put up with it. To me Striking generally reflects throwing a tantrum as a way of getting your way.

I heard you first time :P

I know I know.

The forum went funny on me.

(Not funny as in a hoard of nulabour spinmeisters appearing again but not working right)

In the olden days they used to have many deliveries a day. My gran had some amazing postcards that her family sent to say they'd see her later that day. Like SMS on paper I spose.

It's almost unbelievable to think that in the cities they had about 10 a day (was something on the TV about it the other day) but even out in the sticks where she lived they had loads.

Yes this is true.

Just read an obituary a couple of days ago in the Torygraph (I forget whos) amd it spoke of writing letters.

The writer said that Noel Coward was a prolific writer who send tens of letter a day, often to people who he would see later that day.

Edited by Johnny Cash