House Price Crash Forum

Getting A New Driving Licence

ChumpusRex

HOLA441

I lost my old paper driving licence. However, I realised I was going to be needing some form of driving licence to hire a van soon, and that a plan was needed.

Obviously, I'd put it somewhere very safe, because after turning the house upside down I couldn't find it. So I went to google and typed in "replacement driving licence" and up came the DVLA website with the option to renew your driving licence.

Not really expecting much, given my licence is so old, and (naughty , naughty) the address woefully out of date, I filled in my details.

'You'll need a photocard licence', the machine told me.

'No sh!t', I thought to myself.

'However, we have your photograph on file at the passport office. Can we use that one?' was the machine's next message.

A few clicks more, and I'd paid the fee to replacing a lost licence, and was told to expect my new licence within 2 weeks. The whole process had taken less than 5 minutes, and I didn't even need a photo.

30 minutes later, my washing machine starts going mental, and won't release my washing. So I go to my kitchen, open the 'general junk' drawer and pull out the 'manuals folder' to find out how to force the machine to release my clothes. What do I find, filed between the manuals for my washing machine and dishwasher - but my old paper driving licence!

HOLA442
I lost my old paper driving licence. However, I realised I was going to be needing some form of driving licence to hire a van soon, and that a plan was needed.

Obviously, I'd put it somewhere very safe, because after turning the house upside down I couldn't find it. So I went to google and typed in "replacement driving licence" and up came the DVLA website with the option to renew your driving licence.

Not really expecting much, given my licence is so old, and (naughty , naughty) the address woefully out of date, I filled in my details.

'You'll need a photocard licence', the machine told me.

'No sh!t', I thought to myself.

'However, we have your photograph on file at the passport office. Can we use that one?' was the machine's next message.

A few clicks more, and I'd paid the fee to replacing a lost licence, and was told to expect my new licence within 2 weeks. The whole process had taken less than 5 minutes, and I didn't even need a photo.

30 minutes later, my washing machine starts going mental, and won't release my washing. So I go to my kitchen, open the 'general junk' drawer and pull out the 'manuals folder' to find out how to force the machine to release my clothes. What do I find, filed between the manuals for my washing machine and dishwasher - but my old paper driving licence!

Convenient but very disturbing.

p-o-p

HOLA443

Now, assuming, like me, you dont move house much and dont have points coming and going from your license, check out the expiry date on your paper license: Is it your 70th birthday? Now check out the expiry date on your spanking new license. Unless you're already a user of free bus transport, you may find it is somewhat.... more imminent.

At the very least, a nice little earner for the gubberment.

HOLA444
Now, assuming, like me, you dont move house much and dont have points coming and going from your license, check out the expiry date on your paper license: Is it your 70th birthday? Now check out the expiry date on your spanking new license. Unless you're already a user of free bus transport, you may find it is somewhat.... more imminent.

You should expect to pay to have your personal details made available across government departments. If the DVLA can borrow your photo from that Passport Office, who else can?

When 'interested' companies purchase your details from DVLA based on your number plate, will they be able to pay for a premium service that includes your photo? Perhaps they could pay an additional couple of bob to find out where your children go to school now that the childrens' database is up and running.

p-o-p

HOLA445

what happens when you leave your driving licence in a jacket you get dry cleaned and someone else gets your details and a new one with a new address and, and, and.... do you really trust them not to fcku this integration up.

And what will you do when your name gets mixed up with a criminal and they withdraw your driving licence and your passport and, and, and..... - or if your name is just on the wrong list....

HOLA446

Cross agency data sharing. A step nearer Big Brother and another chance for data abuse. How long before all of those dodgy council/govt departments (and then PFI organisations) get access.

private car parking/clamping companies already have dvla access, how soon before they get access to the photo to compare reg keeper against driving licence against the image they took of someone driving a car?

HOLA447

Do you mind me asking, in the absence of your old licence, (and even with it I guess) how they verified it was 'you', since you're at a different address, before accessing the photo of the person claiming to be ChumpusRex from his passport and sticking his photo on your application and sending it out to your new address?

I mean, what if someone were to repeat what you've just done with someone else's passport photo and that driving licence then ended up in the wreckage from a jet liner crashing into a building or something?

Where's the rock solid verification I wonder?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Thanks, just checked - mine expires this December.

Nothing on the DVLA site I can see to tell me what happens next.

ED: Found LINK

HOLA4410

always keep a copy of your orginal driving test pass certificate, always keep a certified copy of your old driving licence and entitlements

because

the dvla do on occasion forget what your entitlements are + there have been plenty of known cases where people have had to resit a motorcycle test or driving test or truck test

after the dvla claimed no record of the previous passes.

hard to believe but true, was featured on bbc watchdog or some such a while ago.

dvla - so big we dont give a t0ss

HOLA4411
Do you mind me asking, in the absence of your old licence, (and even with it I guess) how they verified it was 'you', since you're at a different address, before accessing the photo of the person claiming to be ChumpusRex from his passport and sticking his photo on your application and sending it out to your new address?

I mean, what if someone were to repeat what you've just done with someone else's passport photo and that driving licence then ended up in the wreckage from a jet liner crashing into a building or something?

Where's the rock solid verification I wonder?

Good point - and actually something I hadn't considered, which is a bit bizarre, because I'm usually quite hot on data security and authentication (having developed software that needs authentication in the past).

I had to give:

Name and address as on the driving licence, with driver number (which I also had to hand).

Current address, which had to match that on the passport, and the passport number.

Other than that, that was all.

I don't know what would have happened, had I tried to have the licence sent to a different address. I'd have hoped that it would have refused, on the basis that they had no proof that I was at that address. As it was, they had to send it to the address my passport was registered at.

HOLA4412

Eh what you talking about willis?

you have to re-new your photo driving licence every 10 years, as to keep the photo upto date (like the pasport) thats the experiy date of that card.

now turn your card over, where it tells you what you can drive (legally) the experiry date of those will be the day before your 70th (well it is on mine)

Archived