House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boomer!

Cracking Video If You Like And Understand Music

That's pretty clever.

That is the way it is, it is amazing that we can still create music given the duplicity of the chords.

What I was suprised at was how many hugely famous tunes were in it.

I'd like to know who spotted it and put the vid together tbh

No biggie. The amazing thing is the variety of sound that comes out of the chords.

But that line has been bread and butter for producers and record companies. Not so much these days!

ps. Didn't U2 spin this with their "three chords and the truth" thing?

No biggie. The amazing thing is the variety of sound that comes out of the chords.

But that line has been bread and butter for producers and record companies. Not so much these days!

ps. Didn't U2 spin this with their "three chords and the truth" thing?

The three chord trick is the first thing the aspiring guitarist learns and why "Play in a day" wasn't exactly lying. The secret to this is that the three chords (tonic, subdominant, dominant) contain all the notes of the major scale and are sufficient to harmonise any note in the major scale.

As Lou Reed said, if it has more than three chords, its jazz.

Its a nicely done video though.

The three chord trick is the first thing the aspiring guitarist learns and why "Play in a day" wasn't exactly lying. The secret to this is that the three chords (tonic, subdominant, dominant) contain all the notes of the major scale and are sufficient to harmonise any note in the major scale.

As Lou Reed said, if it has more than three chords, its jazz.

Its a nicely done video though.

I saw them perform this at the Edinburgh Festival. They're a very impressive trio, damned funny, and the rest of their set is just as good.

I think a lot of people have heard of the "trick" to writing popular music, but the "song" is a very good way of getting it across, especially since they change it quite a bit. The version I heard had quite a few songs aren't in the version on Youtube.

Guest theboltonfury
I saw them perform this at the Edinburgh Festival. They're a very impressive trio, damned funny, and the rest of their set is just as good.

I think a lot of people have heard of the "trick" to writing popular music, but the "song" is a very good way of getting it across, especially since they change it quite a bit. The version I heard had quite a few songs aren't in the version on Youtube.

The video is misleading. The songs may include those chords in the same order at some point but are not all comprised from the same chords only.

The 12 bar blues, which is the basis for so much does however just use 3 chords, the standard I, IV, V progession. Johnny B Goode is a classic example of a rock'n'roll song that follows this 3 chord format. Try it in the key of B flat.