House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deft

Canterbury

Asking prices don't seem to have moved too much, maybe 10-15% down. Can't believe anyone is buying the new-build flats at 200K-ish? Or is Canterbury recession proof?

Interesting - prices now similar to those back to 2002-2004.

There's a lot of that about :-)

I tried to pm you but failed .

Would you be interested to find out how to do your own analysis , if you use Firefox ?

All the software is safe , legally free and even I can use it .

Let me know and I'll send you the links .

Asking prices don't seem to have moved too much, maybe 10-15% down. Can't believe anyone is buying the new-build flats at 200K-ish? Or is Canterbury recession proof?

In my experience, prices in Canterbury didn't seem to go up in the boom years as some other places, so maybe this explains why they don't seem to have fallen that much.

We own 14 places in Canterbury - mainly biggish houses - that we rent out to Canterbury's many students.

I can't see many buying those poky little flats for £200K you can buy a whole house for less money!

BUMP!

I'm moving to Canterbury from London for work.

I don't know the area that well, having only visited Canterbury once - on my job interview day. :)

Would be interested in knowing the views of where in the area is nice to live. I'll be looking to buy from April next year (a house circa 200k) after an initial period of renting.

Looks a nice place to live :)

Would be interested in knowing the views of where in the area is nice to live. I'll be looking to buy from April next year (a house circa 200k) after an initial period of renting.

Looks a nice place to live :)

Compared to London, probably. There are quite a lot of areas you wouldn't want to live though, and the town centre is full of tourists and whatever the PC word for chavs is these days. There is a massive student population, which pushes the prices up. The area near the hospital is expensive but run-down, there are some OK streets here and there, but personally I would look outside Canterbury itself. Blean to the north is quite nice, Tyler Hill looks similar but is far more isolated in practice. Rough Common is neither rough nor common, near the uni but not overly student-filled, and also near two of the private schools. Canterbury has many of those, as if you fail the 11-plus, the comprehensive options are not well regarded, so there's a whole market for rich 11-plus failers in addition to the usual wealthy parents. The few really nice bits you won't get near a house with £200k.

Further afield, Whitstable is well-connected to Canterbury by bus and thought of as cutesy, but an uncomfortable mix of Londoners owning second homes and locals priced out of the centre and located in surprisingly large housing estates. Nice to visit the centre, but it's desolate in winter and in the evenings outside of one or two venues. Tankerton is worth a visit for your seaside needs. Herne Bay you will get a very nice house for your budget, it's run-down in the centre but there are some pleasant suburban estates (e.g. Broomfield) if you are commuting by car or bus, and it has more of an authentic, friendly feel than Whitstable if you can get past the run-down seaside feel of the centre (nothing like as bad as some of the Thanet resorts).

The villages south and west are pleasant enough (e.g. Bridge, Chartham). Avoid Sturry, although Broad Oak is OK if a little less well-connected to get to places without trawling all the way around. My tip would be Faversham, a pleasant, self-contained market town that's not the sprawling tourist-centred Whitstable but where you can get all sorts of things on your doorstep, and it has much of Canterbury's historic charm without the tourist hoards. Trains take you just over five minutes to Canterbury and Whitstable, and run twice an hour, or four times an hour to London and onwards. All around these parts about 75% of the houses are ambitiously priced, but there are reasonable houses going for roughly 2002 prices if you look carefully. In Faversham 200k should get you a house on a good street within a few minutes walk of the station, and it offers a quality of life that students have priced you out of in Canterbury and Londoners in Whitstable.

Usual disclaimers, my opinion only, blah blah.

hth,

Al

Al has done a good summary.

I've been in Canterbury about 8 years now (slap bang in the middle of town, 1 bed flat) and am properly looking to buy as wife is now preggers (how things change from when I started this thread 3 years ago).

Town centre is indeed a mix of tourists, students and locals (including chavs) but I find it a decent mix and it makes it feel a bit more cosmopolitan. Rough areas I dunno much about. I grew up next to Feltham so it's all relative.

Ideally we are looking for 3-4 bed detached, and these have cropped up in various places but are all sitting at least 300K if near the town centre (New Dover Rd, Old Dover Rd, Whitstable Road). Wincheap is more terraced / student / rabbit warren but you can get cheaper stuff I guess. I find Wincheap Rd abysmal for traffic so couldn't face that more than anything (yes, life is tough).

We actually had an offer accepted on a house in Blean that fell through. Bit bigger and more space for your money. Seems nice enough place though just a long road to me!

Rough Common also made offer, got rejected. People still wanting 330K for pretty average detached places.

We have looked at stuff in the Tannery (new build development close in town). Overpriced, undersized and depressing really.

Town centre-ish 200K gets snapped up for students if you can cram 3-4 in.

Probably best to rent somewhere once you arrive and suss out the main areas.

Thanks Al for the excellent overview - very informative. And welcome to HPC - I hope you find the information here and discussion (well most of it) informative.

I'll certainly be checking out Faversham and the areas immediately adjacent to Canterbury during my initial renting period. Although, as you say, I'm priced out of some areas around Canterbury with my 200k budget, it still looks like a relatively nice home is within my financial reach there. Hopefully, housing cost will decline a little further in the South East over 2013 too..

I am currently living in London SW17 - check out how insane the prices are there in an area that isn't half as nice as Canterbury.

Al has done a good summary.

I've been in Canterbury about 8 years now (slap bang in the middle of town, 1 bed flat) and am properly looking to buy as wife is now preggers (how things change from when I started this thread 3 years ago).

Town centre is indeed a mix of tourists, students and locals (including chavs) but I find it a decent mix and it makes it feel a bit more cosmopolitan. Rough areas I dunno much about. I grew up next to Feltham so it's all relative.

Ideally we are looking for 3-4 bed detached, and these have cropped up in various places but are all sitting at least 300K if near the town centre (New Dover Rd, Old Dover Rd, Whitstable Road). Wincheap is more terraced / student / rabbit warren but you can get cheaper stuff I guess. I find Wincheap Rd abysmal for traffic so couldn't face that more than anything (yes, life is tough).

We actually had an offer accepted on a house in Blean that fell through. Bit bigger and more space for your money. Seems nice enough place though just a long road to me!

Rough Common also made offer, got rejected. People still wanting 330K for pretty average detached places.

We have looked at stuff in the Tannery (new build development close in town). Overpriced, undersized and depressing really.

Town centre-ish 200K gets snapped up for students if you can cram 3-4 in.

Probably best to rent somewhere once you arrive and suss out the main areas.

Many thanks for starting this thread all those years ago - it was exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, Canterbury Centre is my preference at present because of the saving in work travelling expenses and most of the streets there look quite nice. However, there is only so much can you tell from a place via the internet.

I noticed there are an awful lot of properties for sale or rent in the 'Old Tannery' That's not a good sign - I even saw one advert where the reference to the fact that it was in the old tannery development had been deleted - seen via property bee.

I hope you find a suitable house for you and your family soon - keep me updated and I'll do likewise.

Thanks Al for the excellent overview - very informative. And welcome to HPC - I hope you find the information here and discussion (well most of it) informative.

I have, for many years, just never felt I had anything useful to add before. Like Deft I had an offer accepted on a house in Blean but then a cash buyer came along with the full asking price, grrr... Would have made an offer on a house in Rough Common but the agent was so incompetent they never got back to me until I'd given up on it. Eventual selling price was a good 8k less than I would have offered so probably a narrow escape on my part. For job reasons that no longer apply I also looked around Medway and Sittingbourne at one time. Ended up renting in Faversham for a while, discovered it suited the family, and bought a house at roughly the 2002 price earlier this year.

Asking prices are IMHO likely to slowly fall in this region as more people who have to sell accept that their houses aren't worth what they're asking. My feeling is that selling prices are already getting more realistic, but some more desirable places (Canterbury, Faversham etc.) won't drop much while other places (Thanet, or Deal) will suffer more, either due to general reputation or in the case of Deal and Sandwich due to the Pfizer part-closure. I've put my money where my mouth is...

Al

UAH Update:

I moved from London to Canterbury a while back. I'm now living in a 1-bed flat in the city centre (rented).

I viewed 5 places to rent in Canterbury:

1. 1-bed flat near Canterbury West station,.Was informed during the viewing that the Landlord had bought it as an investment and was putting it up for sale. Therefore discounted that one. I also noted a £150 Letting Agent initial fee and a further £75 Letting Agent checkout fee in a contract I was presented with - cheeky arzeholes. Told the Letting Agent it was overpriced compared to others I'd seen.

2. 1 bed-flat in Sterle Court. The rightmove advert was a tad muisleading. Ii is a truly awful estate of little box bedsits seemingly designed for students - they were tiny!!. Letting Agent told me the Landlord would be putting the rent up in September because of the student demand. Discounted that one - told the Letting Agent I'd pay money to have the estate knocked down than rent a box in it (I'm sure the residents are good people - it is the building of places like that I object to)

3. Saw a 1 bed flat on Old Dover Road - that was ok.

4. Went for a 1 bed flat right in the city centre - it's worked out well so far.

Canterbury is great - well its brilliant compared to where I was living in SW London anyway. Walking past 1 bed flats starting at 200k and 3 bed terrraces starting at 400k in a sh1t area of London was really depressing me.

Will start viewing houses to buy in six months - If I settle here.

Edited by Unsafe As Houses

We exchanged on a house today in Bridge - so goodbye savings and farewell agonising over HPC, the deal is done.

We never found quite the thing we wanted for the right price around central Canterbury. We had an offer accepted on a new-ish detached house (10yrs old) around the Nunnery Fields area but when we got the contract through it stated the garage around the corner was leasehold (in hindsight this was obvious because it was under someone's flat) but also that there was an annual management charge of £500 for communal areas. After some wrangling we pulled out and managed to get the money we had spent refunded by the estate agent as at no point had they informed us of the management charge prior to making an offer.

So we started looking further afield to get a proper garden and driveway type parking and saw a really lovely extended house in Bridge. Made an offer the next day around a month ago and have now exchanged ready for completion in a further months time. Almost double the sq m compared to the central Canterbury one for roughly the same price so you definitely get a lot more by moving 3 miles out (though we knew we weren't getting a bargain with the smaller central Canterbury house).

After looking around plenty of houses and making quite a few offers I didn't see any signs of distressed sellers or plummeting prices in this area. Will be nice moving from a 1 bed-flat to a 4 bed house and being further out in Bridge is probably nicer in a family sense too.

Would you employ either of these estate agents working in Canterbury and surrounding areas to sell/rent your home given their ridiculous names?

Kite Homes

http://www.kitehomes.co.uk/

This estate agent clearly hasn't heard of the term 'kite flying' in regard to selling houses

They even have a little man flying a kite as their logo. I wonder if that's on their 'for sale' and 'to let' boards?

Here's another one:

Iconn

http://www.iconnprop...o.uk/search.php

You con who?

Hello,

This thread seems to have been dormant for a couple of years.

GF and I were doing some viewing around Canterbury recently. Inside the city walls and also around Oatenhill and WinCheap. Early days but I think this is most likely where we will end up. I was wondering whether anyone could give me a bit of an overview / any insights of what the market is like in Canterbury at the moment? I found the following blog which is interesting: http://canterburyproperty.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/canterbury-buy-to-let-demand-and-supply.html

I guess my initial impressions are that it has been BTL heaven for the best part of the past decade (university, london commutable drool). Certainly more ex rentals relative to other areas I monitor. Most of the properties we have viewed to date are ex BTL and in a terrible state (would it kill landlord to give the properties a clean!?). EAs have all commented how quite it is. There also seems to be allot of building going on in and around the city at the moment.

Given that Canterbury is commutable to London I would imagine the housing market is very sensitive to movements in the London market (which doesn't look too healthy). I know they say that it take 6/12 months for the changes to the London market to hit the rest of the country but I get the impression that the market is spluttering post April rush. Reductions seem to be common on the property portals and it seems that many properties have returned to the market after failed sales.

That said, prices are still bonkers so many vendors don't seem to have noticed a change yet.

Any comments gratefully received.

Used to live in Canterbury for a short while - never again. Traffic was an absolute nightmare, the Rheims Way in particular. Sorry, not what you wanted to know!

Are you FTBers and how many bedrooms are you looking for?

Used to live in Canterbury for a short while - never again. Traffic was an absolute nightmare, the Rheims Way in particular. Sorry, not what you wanted to know!

Are you FTBers and how many bedrooms are you looking for?

No thanks input much appreciated. We are still scoping out the areas but I think somewhere around that way will do - Whitstable is nice.

The traffic does seem to be a bit of a nightmare (only visited twice) but then we are used to London!

We are FTBers and looking for a 2/3 bed house ideally.

I'm still here all these years later. I have to say, I don't really miss the city centre that much - being a few miles out. But then having a sprog probably makes that a different proposition. I definitely don't miss crawling round the Canterbury traffic to get out to work and back. As said previously, a lot of potential FTB houses in Canterbury are student lets - plus some "posher" new build apartments / small townhouses for those happy young professionals. Oatenhill (I didn't realise that area had its own name) - between old and new Dover Rd is a nice little location. No doubt having said that it is probably a crack den or something. We were looking around there and along new Dover Rd before we moved out to Bridge.

I do wonder about the whole commutable to London thing. To me it meant people around here might consider commuting into London rather than people actively moving out this far. Big decent houses around central Canterbury never seem that cheap - perhaps less than prime London commuter towns, whatever they are. You won't get change from £500,000 for most reasonably sized detached places around the city centre.

If you don't need to live in the city then I'd strongly advise looking somewhere just outside of Canterbury, the villages aren't that expensive compared to some others in Kent. Commuting to London is a bit of a chore but doable. The countryside around that area is also very beautiful.

Hello,

This thread seems to have been dormant for a couple of years.

GF and I were doing some viewing around Canterbury recently. Inside the city walls and also around Oatenhill and WinCheap. Early days but I think this is most likely where we will end up. I was wondering whether anyone could give me a bit of an overview / any insights of what the market is like in Canterbury at the moment? I found the following blog which is interesting: http://canterburyproperty.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/canterbury-buy-to-let-demand-and-supply.html

I guess my initial impressions are that it has been BTL heaven for the best part of the past decade (university, london commutable drool). Certainly more ex rentals relative to other areas I monitor. Most of the properties we have viewed to date are ex BTL and in a terrible state (would it kill landlord to give the properties a clean!?). EAs have all commented how quite it is. There also seems to be allot of building going on in and around the city at the moment.

Given that Canterbury is commutable to London I would imagine the housing market is very sensitive to movements in the London market (which doesn't look too healthy). I know they say that it take 6/12 months for the changes to the London market to hit the rest of the country but I get the impression that the market is spluttering post April rush. Reductions seem to be common on the property portals and it seems that many properties have returned to the market after failed sales.

That said, prices are still bonkers so many vendors don't seem to have noticed a change yet.

Any comments gratefully received.

I live near Canterbury and i'm looking to move there too. I'm actually pulling together a ton of data on the market in CT1 and CT2 for a project i'm working on.

I've never seen anything like the current ratio of BTL:OO. It must be 3:1+. The BTL market has died a death but I think there might some softening in the OO market the last month or two too. There was a real mania around North Canterbury (Orchard st, St Dunstans terrace, and further up Whitstable Hill) but maybe even that's cooling now too. There certainly has been a massive OO reduction in supply.

Traditionally Wincheap has been a BTL/student heavy area and I think prices have been constrained there for that reason. In a similar vein to your yield/rent price model in the supply & demand thread, prices in the BTL areas seem to top out lower maybe because rents aren't rising that quickly and the value of the property to an investor tops out lower than it would do in an OO area. Wincheap does however, imo, have probably the nicest housing stock in Canterbury out of areas that are still relatively affordable and has always seemed cheap to me compared to the rest of the city (at least on the basis of the quality of the house, rather than the area)

Oaten Hill is a nicer area in some ways (it's busier and less residential but parts of wincheap can be a bit grubby) and it's probably a better location for amenities, my sister used to live on Cossington Road, nice little houses down there. I viewed the newish build estate on the corner (there's 3 on the market at the moment, ex BTL I assume) a few years ago and it was ok but I've heard complaints about the upkeep of the asphalt etc.

General things about Canterbury:

1) check the flood risk map, a lot of the new builds are on flood plains and some of them don't even have living accommodation on the ground flood (just a utility room, wc etc) which is an acceptance that they're going to get ******ed up at some point.

2) Avoid the tannery development completely, google it, it had a huge fire that ripped through several houses within minutes and the fire damaged houses are still sitting there several years later. You can still see the poor peoples burnt belongings when you drive past. No one in the city would touch it.

3) Traffic is just so bad. If you need to get onto the A2 or if you're planning on driving to the station in the morning, you may want to be very careful about where you pick to live, it could easily take 30mins+ to get across town in the mornings.

If you don't need to live in the city then I'd strongly advise looking somewhere just outside of Canterbury, the villages aren't that expensive compared to some others in Kent. Commuting to London is a bit of a chore but doable. The countryside around that area is also very beautiful.

I agree with this, the villages south of Canterbury especially are stunning

On 1/2/2017 at 1:47 AM, Growlers2 said:

Anyone been to Wye before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye,_Kent

Seems like a nice village near Canterbury and Ashford.

Lovely village at the bottom of the Downs escarpment. Has THREE pubs and a fairly large shop which I often stop at when out on the bike (cycling from Canterbury). It's much nearer Ashford than Canterbury however - probably 5 / 15 miles by bike. 

Generally a very historic village middle with a lot of listed buildings, some which attract quite a premium. There's a recent new Free School too in the old university building. Development sprawls quite a bit with some awful contemporary housing the other side of the railway. 

Anecdotally - I know of someone who has recently sold a 2up-2down in the village having bought 1.5/2.0 years earlier for around 5k less (180ish).  

This could be one to watch:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55121683.html?premiumA=true

Dropped 30k since July to 255k yesterday.

Approaching the price paid in 2007 of 223k.

Next door identical house sold for 292 last Feb! Painful - but maybe worth the trendy interior finish?!?!?! 

Canterbury has been dominated by the BTL market with two large Universities (I've been told in the past that out of term time the population halves). This kind of place is prime rental so makes it a good measure of the area IMO.