House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morrisons Cheddar With Pickeld Onions

To clear up any confusion which may have crept in ('cos I wasn't very clear before).....this is cheddar with picked onion actually in it.

Guest X-QUORK
To clear up any confusion which may have crept in ('cos I wasn't very clear before).....this is cheddar with picked onion actually in it.

Genius...is it as good as it sounds?

Genius...is it as good as it sounds?

As per my opening post.....bloody lovely! An inspired piece of gastronomic design, quite honestly. Surprised that someone hasn't come up with it before now.

The Cheddar Ploughmans, an Englishman's meal.

Oh come on, even if the bits are not fully assembled when it is delivered to your table a ploughman's destiny is to be eaten as a sandwich so can this rightly be called a meal? I thought it would be a snack.

I think the cheese marketing board are getting desperate though, their last innovation was pre grated cheese wasn't it. I admit that as we're discussed at length on this board in the past cleaning a cheese grater is up there with the worst jobs but even still for the reduction in fridge life caused by pregrating a cheese i'm not sure it isn't the most daft thing to buy. I'm fed up with this type of thing, it just makes supermarket isles longer and finding what i really want harder. They probably use it as a way to disguise poor tasting cheese as well.

Lidl sell a stonkingly good mature cheddar in a convenient ziplock baggy thing.

If one is very careful to use a clean knife and cut only on a clean surface it keeps very well in the 'fridge.

A friend in Normandy gave us some pickles which she calls "Satan's Shallots".

Fantastic flavour!

Bit of my decent crusty roll, a couple of these, a wedge of decent cheddar and a glass of red..............

Paradise.

Bit of my decent crusty roll, a couple of these, a wedge of decent cheddar and a glass of red..............

Paradise.

damn it man will you stop doing that! I did actually go out and get a salt beef bagel the other night, 2am on a week night and there was still a queue, very nice it was though. Bit of a down town feel around there but it's alright if you get in first with "spare any change mate" by the time they know what's going on you're in the door ;)

Lidl sell a stonkingly good mature cheddar in a convenient ziplock baggy thing.

If one is very careful to use a clean knife and cut only on a clean surface it keeps very well in the 'fridge.

A friend in Normandy gave us some pickles which she calls "Satan's Shallots".

Fantastic flavour!

Paradise.

Actually, Lidl Stilton is totally awesome too.

damn it man will you stop doing that! I did actually go out and get a salt beef bagel the other night, 2am on a week night and there was still a queue, very nice it was though. Bit of a down town feel around there but it's alright if you get in first with "spare any change mate" by the time they know what's going on you're in the door ;)

Now I'm envious!

I once asked a chef acquaintance, whom I respected for his talent, what was his favourite meal.

He thought for a bit and replied, " Eating a fresh Baguette, raw onion and a decent bit of strong cheese, washed down with a good Bordeaux: as I dangled my bare feet in the Loire!"

Not enough to tempt me into shopping at Morrisons.

Why? I think it's a pretty decent supermarket. Then agian, when it come down to it, there probably isn't a great deal to chose between most of them.

Why? I think it's a pretty decent supermarket. Then agian, when it come down to it, there probably isn't a great deal to chose between most of them.

Don't know really, just don't like it - seems to be doing quite well but always seems quite old-fashioned like a Gateway from the 1980s or something. Don't like Coops either. Both seem to occupy some weird no-mans-land between Asda and Tesco and Sainsburys, interesting what their demographic is - older than average I would guess.

Don't know really, just don't like it - seems to be doing quite well but always seems quite old-fashioned like a Gateway from the 1980s or something. Don't like Coops either. Both seem to occupy some weird no-mans-land between Asda and Tesco and Sainsburys, interesting what their demographic is - older than average I would guess.

Certainly in our local branch. I think you have to show a copy of your death certificate to be allowed in.

I like this too. Bloody lovely.

Being a cheese lover myself (and not one of them tw@tty) I know where it comes from and the name of the f*ckin cow that made it types, I love all the weird and wonderull ones we have these days

Asda do a mexican hot one thats good

Don't know really, just don't like it - seems to be doing quite well but always seems quite old-fashioned like a Gateway from the 1980s or something.

Morrisons is not normally on my travels but was forced into one the other day to get bread and milk. Reminded me very much of the local independent supermarkets you find in the back of beyond in foreign parts. A good 15 years behind the rest of the world, quaint.

Guest X-QUORK
A good 15 years behind the rest of the world, quaint.

Not always a bad thing. We don't have a Morrisons near by, but when I have been in one they had an excellent fresh fish/butcher/deli range...a cut above even Waitrose.

Not always a bad thing. We don't have a Morrisons near by, but when I have been in one they had an excellent fresh fish/butcher/deli range...a cut above even Waitrose.

The stores that were originally designed and built as Morrisons are pretty good TBF.

Ours is one of the Safeway takeover conversions, it's cr@p, the one near my parents is the same. The aisles are narrow (they squeezed an extra one in during the conversion), and they still insist on cluttering the place up with extra baskets and tables. Couple that with the demographic of the customers and the place becomes a gridlocked nightmare even when it's reasonably quiet.

I once asked a chef acquaintance, whom I respected for his talent, what was his favourite meal.

He thought for a bit and replied, " Eating a fresh Baguette, raw onion and a decent bit of strong cheese, washed down with a good Bordeaux: as I dangled my bare feet in the Loire!"

That reminds me of being around here 3627308.jpg

We were new to italy and didn't realise small cafes have very defined lunch times. All they had then was some crusty fresh ciabatta, olive oil, a chunk of hard cheese and some tomatoes. Absolutely delicious. If the ingredients are top quality you don't need many of them.

If the ingredients are top quality you don't need many of them.

And a big Aye to that!

Watched a bit of the latest series of Masterchef this week: before I beame annoyed with it.

And once again, contestents were trying to use a confusing range of disparate ingredients, none of which melded, to impress.

KISS!

Top quality stuff: properly cooked: and decently presented.

Greens of Glastonbury vintage Cheddar, absolutely triffic. Not quite as good as Montgomery or Keens but then it costs half as much. Don't like cheese with "stuff" in, it generally masks the lacklustre flavour of an inferior cheese. White stilton with Apricots ? .... bleurgggh