House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pataks Korma Curry Paste

Okay. After having slagged off Morrisons horseradish sauce the other day I'm balancing my karma out and giving a recommendation for something that's actually quite impressed me.

We go through quite a bit of the Pataks curry pastes and bought the Korma one the other day 'cos they were on special. Not really a big fan of Korma but this is really impressive. Not as sweet and sickly and overpoweringly coconuty as you expect Korma to be and has enough spicyness to appease those who don't apprecite totally gay curry.

Really good and certainly worth a try.

Try the pastes from Lidl: circa 75 Pence a throw.

We always add to the thing by preparing the meat in chillis, ginger and garlic and depending which paste we are using for quickness, additionally spices to add balance.

Lidl Jogan Rosh is very good too: we usually buy the Madras as a stand by.

Try the pastes from Lidl: circa 75 Pence a throw.

We always add to the thing by preparing the meat in chillis, ginger and garlic and depending which paste we are using for quickness, additionally spices to add balance.

Lidl Jogan Rosh is very good too: we usually buy the Madras as a stand by.

Will certainly keep a look out for them.

Guest X-QUORK

You've as good as made a curry right there, why the need for a paste too?

You've as good as made a curry right there, why the need for a paste too?

Well when I want a quicky, the paste allows this in no time flat.

With more elaborate curries it takes much more time and effort.

For example, I always dry fry the spices and build the thing from there.

Personally, I don't very much like the dry curries such as the Kerela: I just love loads of rich gravy soaked into my Basmati rice!

Guest X-QUORK

I enjoy building a curry from scratch, the flavours from pastes are rarely as good in my opinion. That said, I agree that the Pataks range is very good...I used to use the Madras one before making them myself.

I enjoy building a curry from scratch, the flavours from pastes are rarely as good in my opinion.

Agree completely.

Luckily, we have two excellent Asian semi-wholesalers not too far away who supply local restaurants and their spices and etc are very cheap and very fresh!

That's where I buy my Gram flour as we both adore decent proper Onion Bajis and Bindi Bajis.

Most spices "Go Off" very quickly, my wife and I find.

Having new ownership of a demon small grinder - Krupps - the next stage is to grind the spices fresh each time.

And; I am presently looking for a decent stone pestle and mortar. A good sized one, not the trivial kitchen decor junk.

Not easy to come by.

Guest X-QUORK
And; I am presently looking for a decent stone pestle and mortar. A good sized one, not the trivial kitchen decor junk.

Not easy to come by.

Let me know if you find one, I'm after the same...ours just isn't big enough.

I like the Pataks sauces although they are a bit pricey and I've tended to go for Sainbury's own brand recently - and even more recently the Sainsbury's Basics one that was only 4p a jar (yes, 4p) - and yet still edible.

I also like to make curry from scratch, but although I know how to do it the bought sauces like Patak's are so good it's hardly worth the bother.

I like the Pataks sauces although they are a bit pricey and I've tended to go for Sainbury's own brand recently - and even more recently the Sainsbury's Basics one that was only 4p a jar (yes, 4p) - and yet still edible.

I also like to make curry from scratch, but although I know how to do it the bought sauces like Patak's are so good it's hardly worth the bother.

Paste rather than pre-prepared sauce, you get a few decent cheap meals out of a jar. 4p a jar is insane though!!

Guest X-QUORK

I'm lucky, I'm almost at my happiest cooking a curry and sipping a Cobra.

Guest theboltonfury

Made a Red Thai curry from scratch the other day but used Red Curry Paste. The ingredients in the paste were only the things I would have needed to have made it myself. There was no nastiness in the ingredient list at all.

It was delicious and took 25 minutes. We have vowed never to use the takeaway again for Thai.

Indian just sounds too daunting. Besides, I get on well with the owner of my local and a takeaway gets me out of the house and off baby duty for a bit.

Need the ultimate curry recipe?

Here it is - lamb korai:

http://www.stonefisk.com/index.php/2009/05...-lamb-and-spina

Rick Stein featured it on TV, taken from a curry house in Bradford. Its own special webpage is sadly no longer available, but t'intertubes have saved the details.

After a long search I found this holy grail a year ago. I give it a crack every couple of months. My sister in law is from Pakistan and gave me the compliment of asking for more.

Guest X-QUORK
Need the ultimate curry recipe?

Here it is - lamb korai:

http://www.stonefisk.com/index.php/2009/05...-lamb-and-spina

Rick Stein featured it on TV, taken from a curry house in Bradford. Its own special webpage is sadly no longer available, but t'intertubes have saved the details.

After a long search I found this holy grail a year ago. I give it a crack every couple of months. My sister in law is from Pakistan and gave me the compliment of asking for more.

Ha! I did exactly the same search after watching that Bradford episode, quite hard to find wasn't it? I enjoyed the spinach Korai, but it wasn't as good as the Jamie Oliver lamb curry I usually do.

Guest theboltonfury
Ha! I did exactly the same search after watching that Bradford episode, quite hard to find wasn't it? I enjoyed the spinach Korai, but it wasn't as good as the Jamie Oliver lamb curry I usually do.

Does his recipe include the use of a 'fat tongue'?

Did you see Floyd on India? Topical but also authentic and brilliant.

Does his recipe include the use of a 'fat tongue'?

Did you see Floyd on India? Topical but also authentic and brilliant.

I'm sure I've got his book. I remember doing the Vindaloo out of that - god it was good.

Guest theboltonfury
I'm sure I've got his book. I remember doing the Vindaloo out of that - god it was good.

I watched the series. His food just looked cooked like how I would want to eat. I big plateful of hot, spicy food.

No fannying about.

I always make my own curry pastes, in fact all my curries are made from scratch. As a tip, only buy whole spices they stay fresh for much longer as you grind only what you need.

Another tip for ginger is to buy it fresh, cut into curry size usage pieces, put it in the freezer and when needed simply zap in the microwave for 10 secs peel and grate using a parmesan grater. It works well as all the stringey bits are left behind and you don't have to chop it up..

BTW a big granite pestle and mortar is essential in curry making as is a blender.

Anyone else bought Steins' latest book on his Asian Odyssey?

Amazon had them at half price so we bought two: one for us and one for No 1 son who shares our passion for food and cooking.

This book is a mine of info and wonder.

Brilliant full plate colour pics too.

A must have if one loves and appreciates Far Eastern grub!

I always make my own curry pastes, in fact all my curries are made from scratch. As a tip, only buy whole spices they stay fresh for much longer as you grind only what you need.

Another tip for ginger is to buy it fresh, cut into curry size usage pieces, put it in the freezer and when needed simply zap in the microwave for 10 secs peel and grate using a parmesan grater. It works well as all the stringey bits are left behind and you don't have to chop it up..

BTW a big granite pestle and mortar is essential in curry making as is a blender.

Tip of the day.....don't try crushing ginger with a garlic press, it'll break!

Tip of the day.....don't try crushing ginger with a garlic press, it'll break!

:lol:

Been there done that!

Microplane graters are brilliant for ginger, but F-ing expensive.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/microplane!R...uct/12332_12331

I agree about the Pataks Korma paste, I've tried others in the range and that is the best one. It's a good base flavour, and if you want it a bit hotter then just throw in some chopped chillies.

I hold the Thai Taste red curry paste in high regard too. The packaging is a bit faffy, but nowhere near as much faff as making it from scratch.

I'm stricken with fear. Making this tonight and Pataks have redesigned the label - unfortunately it appears from the look of it that they've reformulated the paste too!

It appears that this may have been a fleeting love. Then again, I suppose the best ones are.

All is well. A slight reformulation (no garlic and less salt, according to the ingredients) but doesn't taste any different.

Late reply - I think I've found the one (yoghurt?) and will try.

Also: Mr Miyagi's tip about cutting up ginger before freezing is appreciated.

Lamb neck I reckon is the best cut for curry - very tender and tasty after the stewing.