House Price Crash Forum
Laura

Unemployment 'surges'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090916/tuk-u...gh-6323e80.html

The total now stands at 2.47 million following a 210,000 rise in the three months to July.

The number of people claiming jobseeker's allowance rose by 24,400 to 1.61 million in August - the highest since May 1997 and the 18th monthly rise in a row.

The recession's impact on young people was also underlined by jobless totals among 16 to 24-year-olds reaching 947,000 - the highest level since Office for National Statistics (ONS) records began in 1992. The jobless rate among this age group is also a record 19.7%, meaning one in five is looking for work.

The number of economically inactive people also rose to its highest point since records began in 1971, at 7.99 million, said the ONS. The employment rate was 72.5%, the lowest level for more than 12 years.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "There are now over a million people out of work for more than six months, more than one in three of them under 25. There are no signs of recovery here."

Derek Simpson, joint leader of Unite, said the figures showed that the recession was "far from over", while Unison leader Dave Prentis said: "It is crucial that the Government act quickly to help people back into work, particularly the near one million young people who must not be allowed to become the lost generation. With such devastating figures it would be ludicrous to add public sector workers to the dole queues by cutting back on public services."

Conservative leader David Cameron said: "It's extremely depressing that we are getting to a point of 2.5 million people unemployed. What we need to do is make sure our welfare system is working in every way it can to help people get jobs, to help people get back into work, to give them the training that they need - and we will have more to say about that. It is one of the number one issues that are current in British politics. I don't think we do that in the best way that we could at the moment and we will have a lot more to say about that."

Work and Pensions Secretary Yvette Cooper warned that it could be some time before the jobless total began to fall, even as the economy began to recover.

"We know the evidence from previous recessions suggests that sometimes employers can wait until they feel more confident before they start recruiting again so there can be a lag," she said. "We therefore have to do everything we can to keep investing now. People are still being hit by the world recession."

Ah such depth & concern Yvette. It oozes out of you.

Edited by Laura

Just reading Cameron's nothing words again.

Between the lines I feel he knows it's game over & the problem is terminal this time.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Just reading Cameron's nothing words again.

Between the lines I feel he knows it's game over & the problem is terminal this time.

He's got a lot more to say about that.

3 million under the Torys last time, wasn't it?

Just a few more damned lies this time :)

... 7.99 million + 2.4something million =

No no girl don't be silly, one is a part of the other

at least until after Xmas

then we will need another category

tv chefs to disappear...the new Unemfloyed.

Bless him.

Gawd BL :)

Keith was a great guy

Why wasn't it that foul Ramsey?

No justice as usual :(

Why bother talking about the demise of the UK when the die is cast?

The employment rate was 72.5%, the lowest level for more than 12 years.

So the unemployment rate is 27.5%

Thats the highest in Europe! Obviously the quoted 7.5% is a complete fabrication.

And what the hell is 'economically inactive'?

Edited by Neil B

I have no link, I read it on the sky business news on my phone, but apparently the public sector grew 20,000 jobs, while the private sector lost 230,000 jobs.

So how does that work ?

Don't you ever question why everyone should be in work in the first place?

No dom, because it's a thread killer! :)

Backs to the grindstone. Nose to the wheel.

Keep going, happiness just around the corner.

Keep banging the rocks together.

Land theft. Paine. Illuminati. Rocks & Roths. Tesla, free-energy repression.

I've tried it at parties but the subject returns to promotions & property value as the seemingly intelligent find it too hard to question 'why'.

Dis-education perhaps?

I've tried it at parties but the subject returns to promotions & property value as the seemingly intelligent find it too hard to question 'why'.

Dis-education perhaps?

sounds like you need reprogramming :lol:

Dis-education perhaps?

Tell me! I tried Freemen on the Land and the Law of the water illusion over dinner the other week and succeeded only in driving my blood pressure up. People really do live in the Matrix.

Tell me! I tried Freemen on the Land and the Law of the water illusion over dinner the other week and succeeded only in driving my blood pressure up. People really do live in the Matrix.

Agreed. I really should have taken the blue pill!

The employment rate was 72.5%, the lowest level for more than 12 years.

So the unemployment rate is 27.5%

Thats the highest in Europe! Obviously the quoted 7.5% is a complete fabrication.

And what the hell is 'economically inactive'?

This is something I've often wondered. Does anyone have a breakdown of how the other 5.5m are not defined as unemployed? Housewives, incapacity, single parents etc..

I have no link, I read it on the sky business news on my phone, but apparently the public sector grew 20,000 jobs, while the private sector lost 230,000 jobs.

So how does that work ?

Outreach diversity quality control facilitator coordinator officer

Highly important job and doesn't do anything productive.

Dis-education perhaps?

Those people are toxic, they will make you ill. Avoid them, I have been for five years. First you feel like you're missing out on something, soon you realise you're not. Now it's fun to observe how they operate from a distance - constantly trying to impress each other with their "uniform individuality".