House Price Crash Forum

Ceramic - Anyone Know What A Calligraphic " H " Mark/stamp Means?

loginandtonic

HOLA441

h.jpg

got a ceramic dog, looks like beswick, but like a lot of beswick it has no mark except what looks like a calligraphic nib capital H on the inside base of one of the paws. The bar of the H either extends to the left or to the right depending which way you look at it. It is in a black ink.

it has age crazing.

the book of marks checked - closest is a dutch potter 1700s+ "D Hofdick" (Delft).

i cant see it as being a piece of old junk, but it might be of course, a nice bit of Lidl ceramic, circa 2008 with crazing effect finish... ;)

post-20211-1253106086_thumb.jpg

HOLA442
HOLA443
No idea.

Try here: http://www.squidoo.com/IDpotterymarks

which also links to here: http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/greatbritain1.shtml

Second site seemed pretty good. I was browsing through but then started getting 'timeouts'.

Happy hunting.

nice one, cheers.

will probably be dreaming of being on Dickinson's Real Deal tonight.... "3 phone lines booked, and I've got to start the bidding at...two thousand two hundred...two three...two four..."

the reality is prob not worth more than 75 quid but i can dream

edit

----

fab sight VB, better than the books i have.

seems to confirm what one of the books said "70-75 The Star (De Star). Est. 1690. 70 from 1690. 71—1705. 72—1720 73 -1720. 74—1759. 75 -Two marks from 1763." which is the D Hofdick/De Star (Deflt)

OR (and probably more likely)

Beswick, with H being the workman or year

OR

less likely

Tunstall with H being one of the workmen although i dont think they did animals

IF it is Hofdick and from 1705 it probably would have a bit of value because for damage it has the smallest of chips at one paw & thats it. however i think more likely to be beswick

HOLA444
HOLA445
No worries.

IIRC you mentioned in another thread about selling your stock. Was that you? If so, what stock is this pray tell....antiques?

It's just that one of my friends is into the antiques game a little.

thx again vb, see my edit one above your last

===

no, not antiques, i should be so lucky! mundane items, some rare but mundane

HOLA446

Archived