House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomandlu

Simon Jenkins In The Guardian

Crude, but fair. The public sector must take the pain

The Westminster debate over the state of public finances has become plain silly. Such is the triumph of spin that debate over how to reduce spending is turned into a game whose object is to trick the other side into a slip of the tongue. On Monday, Lord Mandelson, fresh back from island-hopping with his tycoons, indulged in nauseating backchat on BBC radio over who could slither most cleverly round the word "cuts". It was like listening to Marie Antoinette discussing cake, the ruling class playing with the livelihoods of the people.

Yesterday we were invited to congratulate the prime minister at the TUC conference for being brave enough to use the word cuts. Like the word sorry, it had previously stuck in his throat. A cut is no longer an investment or a constraint or even prudence. It is a cut, albeit of "inefficient and unnecessary spending" – which presumably Gordon Brown previously authorised. British politics has become infantilised.

....Lord Mandelson, fresh back from island-hopping with his tycoons, indulged in nauseating backchat on BBC radio over who could slither most cleverly round the word "cuts"...

Presumably he was worried people would misunderstand him, thinking he was talking about his friends and had missed out the N.

It is a cut, albeit of "inefficient and unnecessary spending" – which presumably Gordon Brown previously authorised. British politics has become infantilised.

Spot on. The mans willingness to pretend that he hasn't been in power for much more than 6 months is staggering, but not as staggering as the willingness of almost all the MSM to let him get away with it.

I find it obscene to suggest that whilst banks are going to be allowed to carry on as normal, he thinks the solution to the problem they caused is to cut the salary of those at the bottom of the public sector workforce, cleaners, admin staff, hospital porters and the like who earn very little as it is.

I find it obscene to suggest that whilst banks are going to be allowed to carry on as normal, he thinks the solution to the problem they caused is to cut the salary of those at the bottom of the public sector workforce, cleaners, admin staff, hospital porters and the like who earn very little as it is.

Cant cut rich peoples pay, we need thier essential talents and skillz.

Guest happy?
These Guardian people don't half take a long time to twig.

That would be the same Simon Jenkins who previously edited The Economist as well as working for Rupert (edited The Times for a couple of years as I remember).

Another brilliant insight from Minos.

That would be the same Simon Jenkins who previously edited The Economist as well as working for Rupert (edited The Times for a couple of years as I remember).

Another brilliant insight from Minos.

Now, now. I will take every opportunity to slag off the left. All is fair in love and war.

Hmm.

But how much faith do you put in a journalist who writes twoddle like the following

The same applies to the costly and spurious mainframe computers procured during the e-government craze of the late 1990.

If he knew anything about British government IT he would have known that they largely stopped buying big iron ICL and IBM mainframes at the end of the 1980s. All the E-government applications are run on bog standard Windows and Unix boxes just like every one else. It is true that there is epic levels of waste in government IT but much of that is down to poorly drafted and run outsourcing contracts, projects etc not the hardware they use.

As always when reading the press I find myself nodding sagely in agreement with the pontifications of the journalist until he touches on a subject I know something about when it is suddenly revealed that he is utterly clueless. You then have to wonder if everything else he is spouting is garbage as well.

Edited by up2nogood