House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

South Yorkshire Police Want 200 Armed With Tasers By Next Year

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/200-pol...aser.5646487.jp

HUNDREDS of police officers are to be trained to use Taser stun guns to restrain violent or agitated suspects.

South Yorkshire Police chiefs plan to break with tradition and issue uniformed police with the weapons. Currently its only authorised firearms officers.

Between 2004 and March 2009 firearms officers were given authorisation to use Tasers on 85 occasions in South Yorkshire, but they were only fired three times when incidents escalated.

Officers were prepared to use them on another seven occasions, and had gone as far as singling out their targets with the guns' red laser lights, but managed to make their arrests without firing.

The Home Office has given South Yorkshire Police 70 new weapons, which bosses hope 200 district officers will be trained to use by next March.

In a report to be discussed on Friday by South Yorkshire Police Authority, Chief Constable Med Hughes said: "It is anticipated the expansion of Taser capability will not only reduce the number of injuries to officers and injury on duty sickness abstractions, but also will reduce the numbers of injuries to arrested persons through use of baton, Pava spray and other restraints.

"This will impact on the number of complaints to be investigated as well as officer abstractions for complaint investigations and sitting duties with injured prisoners."

Taser guns give an electric shock, aimed at temporarily debilitating suspects by affecting muscles and nerves.

The use of the guns in the UK has proved controversial. Critics including Amnesty International UK claim over 300 people have died in the US after being hit by the devices.

Perhaps the opening line should read:

HUNDREDS of police officers are to be trained to use Taser stun guns to restrain violent political unrest over economic failure.

How nice of the police to electrocute you rather than beating you.

So are any other forces seeking to expand taser training?

Are they being prepared for civil unrest?

Tazers will be useless against a stampede of angry pitchfork weilding yorkshiremen. They should upgrade to flamethrowers PDQ.

Edited by Breck

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Apparently, they're more efficient killing machines than truncheons when you have to deal with insurgent newspaper vendors, and you can truthfully say the victim died of a heart attack.

Meanwhile, Peter Andre ******ed Katie Price's stepmother, but only because he was depressed.

I was taking to a gun dealer in the states a couple of weeks ago and was told ( third hand ) that his Glock salesman mentioned that Glock had just sold over 1000 pistols to the UK. We can't have them, the army don't use them as far as I know, who else might need them??? It would seem a funny thing to make up..

Judging by the appaling behaviour I see from the drunken public in many parts of Northern England, via occassional TV watching of 'fly on the wall' police camera documentaries - my immediate instinctive reaction (after watching 8+ coppers risk injury have to restrain some drunken violent overweight oik, with the foul mouthed girlfriend screaming abuse in the background, etc) is to TASE the frigging lot of them!

However, on a calmer more rational level......... The Tasers do worry me given their serious non-trivial fatality rate. As a crowd control device its useless, as its designed to deal with individuals. Those CS sprays they carry seem much more flexible and offer the option of acting as some form of one person crowd control - either used aimed at individuals or sprayed at a small group. Plus, unless I'm wrong, adverse physiological reaction to the spray can be tackled pharmacologically? A heart attack/cardiac arrest on the street is pretty final!

What happens when Mr PC decides to Taser someone. They then crack their head on the pavement and end up in a wheelchair?

He gets 50 bonus points.

I was taking to a gun dealer in the states a couple of weeks ago and was told ( third hand ) that his Glock salesman mentioned that Glock had just sold over 1000 pistols to the UK. We can't have them, the army don't use them as far as I know, who else might need them??? It would seem a funny thing to make up..

My old man was looking at guns in the local convenience store in Baltimore a couple of years ago. the salesman offered to dismantle to handgun and post it over for him.

I have discussed this with a few solicitors. What happens when Mr PC decides to Taser someone. They then crack their head on the pavement and end up in a wheelchair?

some more police come in shoot them in the head 7 times and declare them a terrorist?

I understand that the bankers association have recommended their members issue them to senior staff; so they can defend themselves from the public sector workers, whose pensions they have indirectly stolen.

HUNDREDS of police officers are to be trained to use Taser stun guns to restrain violent or agitated suspects.

South Yorkshire Police chiefs plan to break with tradition and issue uniformed police with the weapons. Currently its only authorised firearms officers.

Isn't that the whole idea? They're supposed to be less lethal firearms, not more entertaining truncheons.

Judging by the appaling behaviour I see from the drunken public in many parts of Northern England, via occassional TV watching of 'fly on the wall' police camera documentaries - my immediate instinctive reaction (after watching 8+ coppers risk injury have to restrain some drunken violent overweight oik, with the foul mouthed girlfriend screaming abuse in the background, etc) is to TASE the frigging lot of them!

However, on a calmer more rational level......... The Tasers do worry me given their serious non-trivial fatality rate. As a crowd control device its useless, as its designed to deal with individuals. Those CS sprays they carry seem much more flexible and offer the option of acting as some form of one person crowd control - either used aimed at individuals or sprayed at a small group. Plus, unless I'm wrong, adverse physiological reaction to the spray can be tackled pharmacologically? A heart attack/cardiac arrest on the street is pretty final!

You have been mislead and Brainwashed/conditioned into this way of thinking!

There has ALWAYS been drunken rowdy pub fights around the country at weekends!

What about the 10's of thousands of quiet towns/city areas/villages near pubs and clubs that don't 'kick off' every week?

The police wouldn't be able to cope if everyone was 'at it'

The TV shows concentrate the bad behaviour of a few in order to facilitate whatever new non-liberty law/Taser introduction 'they' want to introduce next.

You will wake up one day in a 'completed' fascist 51st State - don't say you were not made aware!

I would imagine they will be needed to taze their colleagues once they discover they are heading for the dole, a slimmed and more violent police force for a slimmed down and violent country.

You have been mislead and Brainwashed/conditioned into this way of thinking!

There has ALWAYS been drunken rowdy pub fights around the country at weekends!

What about the 10's of thousands of quiet towns/city areas/villages near pubs and clubs that don't 'kick off' every week?

The police wouldn't be able to cope if everyone was 'at it'

The TV shows concentrate the bad behaviour of a few in order to facilitate whatever new non-liberty law/Taser introduction 'they' want to introduce next.

You will wake up one day in a 'completed' fascist 51st State - don't say you were not made aware!

Give that man a cigar, that is precisely what our TV shows are for, keep the people afarid and cowering in their homes (well, their soon to be ex-homes).

I wouldnt want to be the unlucky copper who pulls one of these and gets shot by a real gun owned by a real criminal.

Don't be so ridiculous St Anthony of Sedgefield banned all handguns. All the criminals handed their guns in to the police when the ban was brought in.

Look around you. Police in dark blue cars and/or uniform. Look for circular badges on car windows. They're the armed units and in the South they're never far away and even in my little Essex town are very often present. If you don't know what they are packing, you don't get alarmed. Wake up and smell the cordite.

We have a semi-armed force already, this is the slippery slope started by said armed units cruising about instead of being called out.

TFH

Look around you. Police in dark blue cars and/or uniform. Look for circular badges on car windows. They're the armed units and in the South they're never far away and even in my little Essex town are very often present. If you don't know what they are packing, you don't get alarmed. Wake up and smell the cordite.

We have a semi-armed force already, this is the slippery slope started by said armed units cruising about instead of being called out.

TFH

Can confirm this, have a mate in the armed police, car full of guns, and all he does is sit in service stations doing auto reg checks on trucks. Hardly rambo stuff.

If the police carry tasers, any person involved in civil unrest will just arm themselves accordingly.

why do you think NuLabour are so anxious to disarm everybody but their goon squad?

I notice they've been putting on plenty of "war" snippets on the news.I do hope our police are paying vey close attention to the way they are being asked to conduct their duties,and the parallels prior to ww2 in germany.

It would be much to our benefit if the general public was ARMED,AND TRAINED via a swiss-model national service for this forthcoming conflict.

..it is going to involve russia and some arab states and we will not be quite so lucky with our geographical situation this time.There IS going to be an invasion.