House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Way Down

Ebay And Paypal

Have used ebay for years, only ever had a couple of problems which were sorted out/refund given by the sellers.

Unfortunately, over the last couple of months, I have purchased two items which were completely misdescribed.

The first seller completely refused to give me a refund, threatened me with "legal action" :lol: and accused me of being a fraudster :lol: - he had also been shill bidding on some of his items for sale using a second account. I referred the matter to Paypal, who, after about a month told me to return the item to the seller, but they cannot guarantee that I will receive a refund! So much for Paypal buyer protection - I was under the impression that they could take money back from the seller's account, but it seems not.

Second seller has so far ignored my emails, so again I must use Paypal buyer protection, which again I fear will be a waste of time.

I have heard of people making a "chargeback" from Paypal - as a method of fraud - and I wondered whether or not I could ask my credit card company to do this. Does anyone have any experience of gaining a refund from Paypal using this method?

As far as I can tell, ebay is seriously deteriorating. It seems to be populated by people selling complete crap at the moment - perhaps desperation due to financial problems? This coupled with the joke of Paypal buyer protection is making me think twice about buying any more s/h goods on ebay.

You win some and you lose some. I buy about 5-10 books and 2-3 vinyl LPs on Ebay each month. The advertised condition is never entirely accurate - sometimes it's worse than the way the item appears to be described, at other times better. I would only complain or leave negative feedback if there's a clear factual error, e.g. what is claimed to be a second edition is in fact a third. In terms of condition, one person's 'very good' is another's average, and so you really have to take pot luck with that.

The real problem at the moment is the delivery delays caused by the post strike. A lot of stuff is taking 2-3 weeks to arrive, and I've now got one item that has failed to arrive five weeks after I bought it. It generally isn't worth doing recorded delivery for an item that only costs £2-3 to start with and for which it would be relatively easy to buy another, but it's still annoying.

Guest skullingtonjoe
I have heard of people making a "chargeback" from Paypal - as a method of fraud - and I wondered whether or not I could ask my credit card company to do this. Does anyone have any experience of gaining a refund from Paypal using this method?

Haven`t heard of this one, but I`ll give it a spin - can you provide more details as to how it works though? ;)

You win some and you lose some. I buy about 5-10 books and 2-3 vinyl LPs on Ebay each month. The advertised condition is never entirely accurate - sometimes it's worse than the way the item appears to be described, at other times better. I would only complain or leave negative feedback if there's a clear factual error, e.g. what is claimed to be a second edition is in fact a third. In terms of condition, one person's 'very good' is another's average, and so you really have to take pot luck with that.

Agreed, but when you've spent a total of £220 (£40 and £180) on goods that are pretty much worthless, it's a different matter. First purchase was a pair of part worn tyres for our old workhorse estate (only does a couple of thousand miles/yr) - were advertised as 6mm tread, only had about 3mm. Second purchase was a lawnmower described as "exellent (sic)" but has multiple faults - cracked deck, doesn't start, leaks fuel - scrap basically.

Guest eight
The real problem at the moment is the delivery delays caused by the post strike. A lot of stuff is taking 2-3 weeks to arrive, and I've now got one item that has failed to arrive five weeks after I bought it. It generally isn't worth doing recorded delivery for an item that only costs £2-3 to start with and for which it would be relatively easy to buy another, but it's still annoying.

Interesting you should say that. I just sold some stuff and although the buyer paid promptly, Paypal have arbitrarily decided to put the payment on hold until the buyer responds with positive feedback to say that the item has been received, or 21 days passes. Well sod that. I've just refunded them and said goodbye to Ebay.

eight