House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Izzard Completes Marathons Feat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8257587.stm

Comedian Eddie Izzard has completed his endurance feat of 43 marathons in 51 days for charity Sport Relief, finishing in London's Trafalgar Square.

Izzard, who ran at least 27 miles per day and took just one day off per week, covered about 1,100 miles on his route across the UK.

The 47-year-old, who trained for just five weeks for the event, told BBC News he now planned to "sleep for a week".

In 2006, David Walliams swam the English Channel for Sport Relief.

Izzard - who ended his mammoth challenge in the pouring rain - said he had been trying to complete his final day's run in under five hours but had failed to do so by 30 seconds.

"I don't know what the hell I was doing at the end but it must have been way faster than I was doing the rest of the time.

"So I feel exhausted now, but you know, it's over."

He added: "Being here is very nice because, when I left here seven-and-a-half weeks ago, there was nothing here, it was just a cold morning and now there's a lot of people here, even in the rain."

The comedian, who has so far raised more than £200,000, was joined by well-wishers for portions of the challenge, which took in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

A great achievement of endurance running.

Guest theboltonfury
Great? Its f*ckin unbeliveable if you ask me.

Even better when you think he did them in high heels.

5.4mph on the last day 8.6kph, which is a good jog on a treadmill or what I can do for 20 minutes max.

According to a fitness commentator he was improving even under such a heavy training rota so it's

unlikely he did much training before this event either. (or it was far too light)

5.4mph on the last day 8.6kph, which is a good jog on a treadmill or what I can do for 20 minutes max.

According to a fitness commentator he was improving even under such a heavy training rota so it's

unlikely he did much training before this event either. (or it was far too light)

aparently 5 weeks of training

And never plssed his pants onec, much to Paule radcliffes consternation.

Anyone remember John Noakes of Blue Peter fame?

Why?

Good question. Well, he made a series with faithful Shep in tow. In it he would travel around the countryside then rough it in a tent each night. We would see him appear from under the canvas every morning looking like a wreck.

Only some newspaper rumbled him and the BBC because it transpired he slept in nearby hotels. Yes, they were fibbing. [Where's the gosh smiley when you need one?]

Having seen Izzard interviewed earlier, it struck me that he looked remarkably fresh for someone who's overweight.

Now call me an old cynic, but if I had to risk 50p on whether he ran 4,156 miles, or whatever it was, or nearer to 50-odd, then I'd back the latter.

Anyone remember John Noakes of Blue Peter fame?

Why?

Good question. Well, he made a series with faithful Shep in tow. In it he would travel around the countryside then rough it in a tent each night. We would see him appear from under the canvas every morning looking like a wreck.

Only some newspaper rumbled him and the BBC because it transpired he slept in nearby hotels. Yes, they were fibbing. [Where's the gosh smiley when you need one?]

Having seen Izzard interviewed earlier, it struck me that he looked remarkably fresh for someone who's overweight.

Now call me an old cynic, but if I had to risk 50p on whether he ran 4,156 miles, or whatever it was, or nearer to 50-odd, then I'd back the latter.

I have to agree my thoughts when I saw it were if running that many miles won't shift the spare tyre completely, what will.

He walked most of it. Walking 40 km a day isn't really a feat at all. Anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness and health could do it.

yeah but 6 days a week? most people would be too sore

amazing feat imo

He walked most of it. Walking 40 km a day isn't really a feat at all. Anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness and health could do it.

i disagree. remember all the celebs that signed-on for ian botham's walks only to drop out within days.

hats off to izzard. he's inspired me to try running again at 50.

:blink:

I reckon even Ethiopan hill tribesmen would find that a bit tough going.

Izzards joints must be royally ******ed now. If not he is some sort of machine. Impressive either way.

Guest Parry aka GOD

Walked it?! Fvck me I'd do most of it on a gurney!

Walked it?! Fvck me I'd do most of it on a gurney!

If you're going to go by gurney make sure it's the Bounder Plus Power Gurney, i think you could fit a bed pan in there somewhere and there's a drawer for your tabs and place to put your tea ;)

gurneywithcustomcushionschestandheadtilt.jpg