Dopamine

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
reckon he's a net debtor then??

If this article is any evidence, he seems to think that either side of a balance sheet is irrelevant as long as people are spending on crap and 'feeling good about themselves'.

I'd feel a lot better if he stuck to his gyms and left the economics to the experts like.......erm. :lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Ignorance is strength.

"I have a lot of respect for DB and I was disappointed to read his article". He's a successful business man. No philosopher,he.

However I respect the guy too.

And as for Lucky ?

Lucky with the taxi-cabs

Lucky with the Ice Cream Vans

Lucky with the BTL

Lucky with the Care Homes

Lucky with the Nurseries

Lucky with the Gymnasia ?

Or maybe just a talented sort of go-ahead bloke ? :)

Edited by RockingHorse

HOLA4412
Evidence that many businessmen have been a success due to pure luck rather than ability. The sad thing is that they really believe they have talent. Grim.

I don't think it was luck in his case.

He started off doing icecream rounds in a tough part of Glasgow and forced out the competitors.

At a guess I would say it was more due to violence and intimidation than luck.

A role model for budding entrepreneurs everywhere

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/du...le-economy.html

Conclusive proof that this man's fortune is certainly not based on a thorough knowledge of economic theory.

What a load of banal, simplistic toss.

For me it comes down to this question: would we rather get, say, one percentage point more interest on the money we have in the bank, or see our house prices increase by 0.5pc?

Answer not altogether surprising from someone whose gym business relies on the MEWing nouveau riche and value of his properties.

HOLA4415

He started off doing icecream rounds in a tough part of Glasgow and forced out the competitors.

I do remember the ice-cream wars in Glasgow, very vicious, extremely violent, not sure much ice cream was for sale though!

HOLA4416
I do remember the ice-cream wars in Glasgow, very vicious, extremely violent, not sure much ice cream was for sale though!

You're spot on about the Glasgow ice-cream wars.

Where Banno was extremely 'LUCKY' was that he was in fact working in and around Darlington England.

So he's alive and kicking, and unharmed and wealthy.

HOLA4417
Guest BoomBoomCrash

I started a thread a while back which basically demonstrated that every single 'dragon' was a crook. These people are revered for no other reason than they have money now, how they got it seem not to matter to the BBC or the idiots that fawn over them.

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I started a thread a while back which basically demonstrated that every single 'dragon' was a crook. These people are revered for no other reason thanthey have money now, how they got it seem not to matter to the BBC or the idiots that faen over them.

Ah well. Isn't jealousy a terrible thing. Feel free to outline any alleged criminality on the website ...................

HOLA4420
Ah well. Isn't jealousy a terrible thing. Feel free to outline any alleged criminality on the website ...................

I'm not a big fan of the dragons, not really the finest examples of entrepreneurial endeavour in this country. All a bit spivvy but were pretty much in tune with the last decade image wise.

HOLA4421

To quote the Godfather, "Hey, it's not personal, just business."

I don't think honesty, scruples, a conscience, or an adherence to any laws is going to prove winning characteristics for any business person.

"Show me a fortune and I'll show you the scene of a crime." - Balzac

HOLA4422
I don't think honesty, scruples, a conscience, or an adherence to any laws is going to prove winning characteristics for any business person.

Interesting point.

Mind you, if I had a modicum of intelligence, I'd be reluctant to call certain elements 'crooks' on an Internet site.

As for Banno - to me the guy epitomises the Old Labour euphoria/ social mobility bit. He truly dragged himself out of the sh1thole into which he was born.

As for Dragons Den ? Dunno. Sh1te program - and I have no connection to the others - even, cool-dude Farleigh was a bit of a fantasy character.

Edited by RockingHorse

HOLA4423

I have been having an arguement with a "friend" since summer of 2007. I'm just a computer programmer. In summer of 2007 he said to me to counter my absurd statement that I had decided I wasn't going to buy a house just yet as I thought prices would fall...

(in a kind of of "so there, ner!" sort of voice)

"Well my friend Jim S. has been in business 20 years and he reckons there's absolutely nothing wrong with our economy".

Running a business successfully doesn't have anything to do with economics. Just because I know to take the washing in when it rains doesn't make me good at weather forecasts.

HOLA4424
He is indeed a knobend.

yes, he's a knobend. But he's also a 'winner'. In that regard he and his homeownin', share ownin' court of public opinion will indeed get it's low central bank interest rates for some time.

I'm not sure where he thinks the risk of inflation hiking rates is going to come from.

you see, the japanese managed to bull$hite this idea of a neutral level of interest rate or an equilibrium interest rate, they proved you could run a ZIRP when inflation expectations get to where they are following the bursting of a credit bubble and the subsequent fallout... and the BoE will be in no mood to deviate from the path trailblazed by the japanese.

whatever the talk of recovery, they'll use their tools to maintain ZIRP.

as can also be gleaned from his comments, this is a bit of a bullshitey recession with IR's so low and so much liquidity coming via govt. intervention. Other than an unemployment situation which is proving to be more of a pain for govts. to deal with, it's a case of recession? what recession? Oh i suppose 2/5ths of the workforce [or is that employers] getting payfreeze is recessionary, but then a ridiculous % of home owners/borrowers were on BoE base rate trackers. And many of these deals were taken out when bankers were acting like knobends. hence Mr BTL man paying 5p a month on his mortgage now [or something like that].

HOLA4425
I have been having an arguement with a "friend" since summer of 2007. I'm just a computer programmer. In summer of 2007 he said to me to counter my absurd statement that I had decided I wasn't going to buy a house just yet as I thought prices would fall...

(in a kind of of "so there, ner!" sort of voice)

"Well my friend Jim S. has been in business 20 years and he reckons there's absolutely nothing wrong with our economy".

Running a business successfully doesn't have anything to do with economics. Just because I know to take the washing in when it rains doesn't make me good at weather forecasts.

what's so wrong with the economy that shit loads of govt. money can't sort out ? eh ?

i think you've got to give bannatyne credit for atleast understanding that. And the role of central bank monetary policy.