House Price Crash Forum
blobloblob

Delivery Times For Bullion Coins

I contacted Chards and asked about investing maybe £5 to £10K. They recommended bullion coins and said they would be delivered in anything up to 6 months. I haven't called anybody else yet but is this normal? I was expecting that you could just go there, hand over the money and pick it up!

Edited by blobloblob

Not yet DiggerUK but I will be doing so. Although I'd be buying based on that day's spot price, I might want to sell it a little quicker than that.

I'm in south east so it is easy to find a buyer in capital, never sold but don't see any problems when time comes.

If your going for coins then you should check out were your local dealers are.

B'ham has a jewelry quarter, long time since I lived there so don't know anyone to recommend.

Post up what area of UK you are in, I'm sure others will help you out.

Hmmm - according to the rest of this board gold will/won't rise/fall above/below $300/$2,000. So that's clear then.

You've been keeping up then. It gets worse after you have bought some.

Then you start venturing an opinion.

You've been keeping up then. It gets worse after you have bought some.

Then you start venturing an opinion.

OK here's my opinion (guess, to be fair) - price will fall slightly over the next couple of months (900-950) before rising again through most of next year (1500++). In other words, November to December might be a better time to buy than now, and buying might be better than not buying.

In the event of another major jolt to UK or US economies before I buy any, I will have been too late. In the event of no major catastrophes, I shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Thanks for your opinions by the way.

OK here's my opinion (guess, to be fair) - price will fall slightly over the next couple of months (900-950) before rising again through most of next year (1500++). In other words, November to December might be a better time to buy than now, and buying might be better than not buying.

In the event of another major jolt to UK or US economies before I buy any, I will have been too late. In the event of no major catastrophes, I shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Thanks for your opinions by the way.

Moderators, make this poster a guru and move them to the gold thread imediately.

I contacted Chards and asked about investing maybe £5 to £10K. They recommended bullion coins and said they would be delivered in anything up to 6 months. I haven't called anybody else yet but is this normal? I was expecting that you could just go there, hand over the money and pick it up!

If you are in the UK it is difficult to buy anything for cash over £5000, since the money-laundering guidelines came in. Both of the following deliver in about 7 days from an online order. You can collect from Baird, but their prices are generally higher.

Bairds

Coininvest

You could also look at Hatton Garden Metals, but I've never dealt with them so cannot speak about their delivery.

You can call ATS and pay over the phone by debit card. Remember to have coin invest at the ready to compare prices. You can try and haggle, especially if its a large quantity. Coin invest are great for online ordering. delivery in a week usualy. ATS post next day and goods arrive royal mail special delivery.

I'm in south east so it is easy to find a buyer in capital, never sold but don't see any problems when time comes.

If your going for coins then you should check out were your local dealers are.

B'ham has a jewelry quarter, long time since I lived there so don't know anyone to recommend.

Post up what area of UK you are in, I'm sure others will help you out.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-bars/

I have regsitered with these and they called me on the phone.The guy I spoke to was very helpful and offered to sell over the counter.Their place is in the Jewellery Quarter,Hockley,Birmingham.

Edited by tiggerthetiger

cheapest at the moment

Baird (Goldline) is in London and Coininvest is in Frankfurt. Which is cheaper of the two at any one time will depend on how the £ fares against the €.

You also need to establish the shipping cost for your particular order as this can make quite a difference to the actual price paid.

Baird (Goldline) is in London and Coininvest is in Frankfurt. Which is cheaper of the two at any one time will depend on how the £ fares against the €.

You also need to establish the shipping cost for your particular order as this can make quite a difference to the actual price paid.

I ordered several times from Coininvestdirect.com - the longest delivery time was 3 days, - this is perfect!

Another good bullion dealer, but the homepage is only in German: www.Silber-Philharmoniker.de or silberphil.net , silver bullions are sometimes very cheap there, delivery takes round about 1 week.

Another good bullion dealer, but the homepage is only in German: www.Silber-Philharmoniker.de or silberphil.net , silver bullions are sometimes very cheap there, delivery takes round about 1 week.

Am I right that a buyer in the UK would pay VAT on Silver Philarmonikers bought from there? If not, is there anywhere you can buy silver coins or bullion without paying VAT? Second is VAT-free of course so is there such a thing as a second hand dealer with a usually good ready supply?

Am I right that a buyer in the UK would pay VAT on Silver Philarmonikers bought from there? If not, is there anywhere you can buy silver coins or bullion without paying VAT? Second is VAT-free of course so is there such a thing as a second hand dealer with a usually good ready supply?

I am fairly sure that the rules on VAT are that if you have an office/shop/outlet in the UK then you must charge VAT on stuff sold here. The only people who don't charge VAT are places like the USA who have not heard of, and care less, about GB and and his VAT rules. On these, if the value of the goods is over a small amount and the type of good is VAT chargeable, then HMRC will sting you by making Royal Mail collect the VAT for them, and to add insult to injury, the RM charge a stupid fee (£10) to collect it. The idea, of course, is to encourage purchases from within the EU zone to save the charge. I bought some coins from Jason Hommel's mum's shop and of course lost all the value from the cheap silver price. Didn't matter as the coins aren't available in this country and I bought them as numismatic rather than bullion.

The trouble with second-hand stuff is that the item is not truly "second-hand". To explain, let us take a sample of a kilo Metalor bar from Messrs Chard, purchased at £400 inc VAT. If I sell this bar to a jeweller as second-hand, he will gleefully remove the VAT before calculating what he will offer me. However, when the time comes for him to sell it, how would you have the faintest idea it was second-hand? He could (would!) sell it very close to the brand-new price, because it has no less utility as a bullion bar.

This means that, in the UK at least, the VAT element is recoverable in large part if you are selling a second-hand bar in a private sale, private seller to private buyer. Same applies on ebay. You could not legally describe it as "new", but the buyer has no choice. It's either your bar or a new one inc VAT. So the resale value is pretty good, even ignoring the view that I think most people on here would have, that silver is a buy-and-hold investment at the moment.

I hope this is fairly clear. The only way to purchase it without VAT is to buy second-hand Sterling Silver (ask around at jewellers) and melt it as casting-grain; or buy bullion new in the Channel Islands. (Guernsey Mint is the place, Bruce is the man). But you still have to pay the VAT when you bring it into the UK, and the transport costs may make the differential not worth having.

The only thing I am unclear on, and would welcome input from others, is that if you buy from a low-VAT area, do you still owe HMRC the difference on importation? (My guess is that you would, if the amount is above the "trinket/gift" threshold.)

I can't get my head round how the CiD site works out VAT. The VAT for UK delivery is higher than that for the rest of Europe yet everything, as far as I'm aware, is shipped from Germany. An EU buyer should be charged VAT at the rate of the Country where the item is sold (in this case Germany), not the Country where he happens to be. Do they ship coins for UK delivery from their UK office?

I can't get my head round how the CiD site works out VAT. The VAT for UK delivery is higher than that for the rest of Europe yet everything, as far as I'm aware, is shipped from Germany. An EU buyer should be charged VAT at the rate of the Country where the item is sold (in this case Germany), not the Country where he happens to be. Do they ship coins for UK delivery from their UK office?

According to Old Nis, it's the fact that Coininvestdirect have an office in the UK at all that means that you pay VAT, whether that's where they ship from or not. They seem to be quoting VAT at the UK rate of 15%, not the German 19%.

As for Silber-Philarmoniker.de, I can't find any reference to a UK office so if Old Nis is right, then it should be a VAT-free purchase from there.

According to Old Nis, it's the fact that Coininvestdirect have an office in the UK at all that means that you pay VAT, whether that's where they ship from or not. They seem to be quoting VAT at the UK rate of 15%, not the German 19%.

As for Silber-Philarmoniker.de, I can't find any reference to a UK office so if Old Nis is right, then it should be a VAT-free purchase from there.

I don't think that is right. This is what Coininvest said last year:

As of July 1st 2008 we will no longer sell silver coins with 7% German VAT. As of then we will apply the UK customary 17.5% VAT. This change is necessary as per Article 34 of the EC directive 2006/112/EC by which mail order businesses are only allowed to ship up to a certain value per year of VAT liable goods to other EC countries.

We have now reached this limit for 2008 in the case of the United Kingdom and therefore have to adapt our VAT to the rate of the ship to country.

Here's the regs.]

<!--quoteo(post=2171407:date=Sep 30 2009, 09:57 AM:name=6538)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6538 @ Sep 30 2009, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2171407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't get my head round how the CiD site works out VAT. The VAT for UK delivery is higher than that for the rest of Europe yet everything, as far as I'm aware, is shipped from Germany. An EU buyer should be charged VAT at the rate of the Country where the item is sold (in this case Germany), not the Country where he happens to be. Do they ship coins for UK delivery from their UK office?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are nearly right. The purchase would not be VAT-free, but VAT-paid. Further to others' comments, I believe there is a period (very short!) during the year (I don't know when) when VAT-paid transactions are allowed at the German rate, when if you are quick and know when it is, you could make a purchase at the lower VAT rate. There is no legitimate way you can purchase new silver without VAT applying, and of course, this is the intention of the EU.

I have already referred to the purchase of VAT-free silver in Guernsey, but of course this is chargeable upon importation. The simplest way of purchasing second-hand silver (and it is definitely second-hand, and proveably so - so the HMRC can't try and force people to pay VAT on the coins) is to purchase silver proof crowns from the "Lucky Dip" section of Weighton Coin. I have bought from there before, Richard is utterly reliable and very efficient. The coins are second-hand but proof quality and look great. They are all made from Sterling Silver (92.5% Ag) and about a tenner per coin. Each coin is about 28g, giving a per-ounce price of approximately £12.00 per troy oz of pure metal.

This is about as cheap as it gets for small purchases of coins. You could go across to Germany and purchase goods VAT-paid in cash, of course, but then the transport costs rear their ugly head.

Old Nis you're a star. I did notice though, on silberphilarmoniker.de, albeit via Google Translate as I don't speak German:- ...

Delivery

Delivery is only within Germany. including island territories. A delivery abroad is not supplied. Not even on request.

You are nearly right. The purchase would not be VAT-free, but VAT-paid. Further to others' comments, I believe there is a period (very short!) during the year (I don't know when) when VAT-paid transactions are allowed at the German rate, when if you are quick and know when it is, you could make a purchase at the lower VAT rate. There is no legitimate way you can purchase new silver without VAT applying, and of course, this is the intention of the EU.

I have already referred to the purchase of VAT-free silver in Guernsey, but of course this is chargeable upon importation. The simplest way of purchasing second-hand silver (and it is definitely second-hand, and proveably so - so the HMRC can't try and force people to pay VAT on the coins) is to purchase silver proof crowns from the "Lucky Dip" section of Weighton Coin. I have bought from there before, Richard is utterly reliable and very efficient. The coins are second-hand but proof quality and look great. They are all made from Sterling Silver (92.5% Ag) and about a tenner per coin. Each coin is about 28g, giving a per-ounce price of approximately £12.00 per troy oz of pure metal.

This is about as cheap as it gets for small purchases of coins. You could go across to Germany and purchase goods VAT-paid in cash, of course, but then the transport costs rear their ugly head.

I bought twenty from Weighton over the last couple of days.. very quick,reliable and the coins looked fine to me,hardly a blemish..