House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
smiffy1967

Working Less Than 16 Hours A Week And Claiming Jsa

Can anyone advise about working less than say 10 to 14 hours a week whilst in receipt of Job seekers allowance - Bird at the job center seemed to be clueless about it, not just that she was down right rude and treated me and my partner as if we were unemployable numpties although we have spend 27 years working in the private sector paying for the idiots pension liabilities as well as her wages. She told us we could not do any paid work and claim JSA, i told her that it contradicted what i had once read (everything on the net seems a bit vauge about this issue).

Not only that, i was 10 minutes early for my signing and i asked if i could sign at 2.20 instead of 2.30 she said nope we have lots of people to see ( i sat there for 10 mins and they saw nobody).

I see very little point in wasting tax payers money opening and running these Job centers as they seem to be able to offer zero help to skilled people and most of the unskilled where i live seem content to live of benefits.

If you earn less than 16 hours you have to get a form and fill in the hours you do and the JSA is deducted from the wages. So if you erm more than 60 pounds, then its better just to sign off.

However, when you first start work you can claim JSA (the full amount) up to the point that you get paid, its its less than 16 hours. But you need to fill in a form.

Not only that, i was 10 minutes early for my signing and i asked if i could sign at 2.20 instead of 2.30 she said nope we have lots of people to see ( i sat there for 10 mins and they saw nobody).

All jobcentres are full of jobsworths and their 'rules' (or at least their interpretations of the rules). Only use their telephones for doing this, arrive at this time, see this person, wait in the queue etc etc. Just ignore them and make them work around you. Make up stories and the whole thing proceeds a lot quicker, say youve got to catch a train or pick someone up or something.

If you earn less than 16 hours you have to get a form and fill in the hours you do and the JSA is deducted from the wages. So if you erm more than 60 pounds, then its better just to sign off.

However, when you first start work you can claim JSA (the full amount) up to the point that you get paid, its its less than 16 hours. But you need to fill in a form.

I thought you could work up to 16 hours without it effecting your benfits? So if my partner goes out an earns say £60 a week they will deduct that £60 from my weekly JSA? IF true there is simply no reason to work - might as well spend our days at the local leisure center gyming it and then swimming

I thought you could work up to 16 hours without it effecting your benfits? So if my partner goes out an earns say £60 a week they will deduct that £60 from my weekly JSA? IF true there is simply no reason to work - might as well spend our days at the local leisure center gyming it and then swimming

No, it does affect your benefits, you'd get maybe a fiver for signing on if you're doing 16 hours a week. Pointless, either work or sign on, not both. As for working not being worthwhile, you can get working tax credit\family tax credit\housing benefit or mortgage interest payments, depending on your exact circumstances and income.

Edited by HPC001

Can anyone advise about working less than say 10 to 14 hours a week whilst in receipt of Job seekers allowance - Bird at the job center seemed to be clueless about it, not just that she was down right rude and treated me and my partner as if we were unemployable numpties although we have spend 27 years working in the private sector paying for the idiots pension liabilities as well as her wages. She told us we could not do any paid work and claim JSA, i told her that it contradicted what i had once read (everything on the net seems a bit vauge about this issue).

I see very little point in wasting tax payers money opening and running these Job centers as they seem to be able to offer zero help to skilled people and most of the unskilled where i live seem content to live of benefits.

Hope you find something soon. I guess Telford isn't too good a place to be at the moment.

You used to be able to earn a tenner before they start taking it off your benefits, dunno if this is still the case. If you work less than 16 hours per week though, you can still claim. It's actually very important to do so as you will show up in the unemployment figures, and you will still be able to claim housing benefit, mortgage interest payments, council tax relief and all that stuff.

For JSA there is an earnings disregard of £5 (£10 for couples). For earnings above this your benefit will be taken away pound for pound, penny for penny (100% marginal deduction rate). These earnings disregards have remained unchanged since 1988. £5 is now less than an hours work at minimum wage.

You used to be able to earn a tenner before they start taking it off your benefits, dunno if this is still the case. If you work less than 16 hours per week though, you can still claim. It's actually very important to do so as you will show up in the unemployment figures, and you will still be able to claim housing benefit, mortgage interest payments, council tax relief and all that stuff.

You also get those on a low income (not 100% sure on mortgage payments though).

No, it does affect your benefits, you'd get maybe a fiver for signing on if you're doing 16 hours a week. Pointless, either work or sign on, not both. As for working not being worthwhile, you can get working tax credit\family tax credit\housing benefit or mortgage interest payments, depending on your exact circumstances and income.

Best option is to work and not declare it. You have to remember that when dealing with the dole office you have to lie in order to keep things simple. Practise your brazen bare-faced, contradictory lies and repeat them to yourself until it becomes second nature. Act thick and display a typical chav attitude. They'll throw money at you. They only hassle well spoken, well intentioned people.

I've been there.

Lie. It's the only way to recieve the benefits you're entitled to.

I think its form B7 is the form you'll need from the JC. The whole working on the dole (legally) situation is utter rubbish. There is no incentive for you to get off your a1se and do something. I'm currently in the same situation. There should be an incentive for you to work, but for a fiver a time, its barely not worth it. I do it to keep the spirits up and to keep in touch with industry. The government should say "right, your making an effort in trying to work, so we'll give you, say two thirds of your benefits on top of your wage". You earn extra money, and the government saves a bit for the tax payer.

I've heard stories where anything over 10 hours a week, they can cut your money off. If your earning roughly the minimum wage, then you end up being down at the end of each week.

All jobcentres are full of jobsworths and their 'rules' (or at least their interpretations of the rules). Only use their telephones for doing this, arrive at this time, see this person, wait in the queue etc etc. Just ignore them and make them work around you. Make up stories and the whole thing proceeds a lot quicker, say youve got to catch a train or pick someone up or something.

So they have been perfectly trained.