House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Disposable Heroes

Rip Keith Floyd.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Floyd's unique presentation style was an instant hit

Celebrity chef Keith Floyd has died following a heart attack, aged 65.

He died at his partner's Dorset home on Monday, said his autobiography ghost-writer, James Steen. Floyd had been diagnosed with bowel cancer in June.

From Faringdon in Oxfordshire, Floyd shot to fame in the 1980s in ground-breaking cookery shows, fronted with huge enthusiasm and wineglass in hand.

Chef Marco Pierre White described Floyd as a "natural cook" who had "inspired a nation" with his programmes.

Floyd's idiosyncratic, often shambolic style of presentation endeared him to millions of viewers around the world. White said: "What he did to inspire a nation, I don't know another man who has done what he has done.

"He had this great ability at the stove, great confidence. He was a natural cook.

"But his very special talent was he could articulate himself and deliver inspiration with words. He spoke in a way that everybody could understand."

He added: "He enriched many people's lives. It's very sad.

"A little piece of Britain died yesterday which will never be replaced.

"He was an individual, he was a maverick, he was mercurial, he was magical, he was special, he was rare."

Wine-fuelled flamboyance

Floyd opened his first restaurant, Floyd's Bistro, in Bristol, at the age of 22, and its success quickly led to him running three establishments.

But a lack of business acumen that would plague him throughout his career soon forced him to sell up, after which a restaurant in France also proved a failure.

It was on his return to Bristol, running a new bistro near the BBC studios in the city, that Floyd was discovered by television producer David Pritchard.

Their 1985 series, Floyd on Fish, was an instant hit, and subsequent series took the chef all over the world.

The programmes were ground-breaking at the time for taking the cooking out of a studio, but it was Floyd's wine-fuelled flamboyance that viewers loved.

_46379871_000960173-1.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8256260.stm

I watched a program about him last night. I wouldn't have wanted him as a father, but his cooking programs really made me laugh.

TV chef Keith Floyd has died after a heart attack, aged 65, according to the ghost-writer of his autobiography.

He died at his partner's Dorset home on Monday, James Steen said. Floyd had been diagnosed with cancer in June.

From Faringdon in Oxfordshire, Floyd shot to fame in the 1980s in ground-breaking cookery shows, fronted with huge enthusiasm and wineglass in hand.

Chef Marco Pierre White described Floyd as a "natural cook" who had "inspired a nation" with his programmes.

Floyd's idiosyncratic, often shambolic style of presentation endeared him to millions of viewers around the world.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gifA little piece of Britain died yesterday which will never be replaced end_quote_rb.gif

Marco Pierre White inline_dashed_line.gif

Obituary: Keith Floyd White said: "What he did to inspire a nation,

I don't know another man who has done what he has done.

"He had this great ability at the stove, great confidence. He was a natural cook.

"But his very special talent was he could articulate himself and deliver inspiration with words. He spoke in a way that everybody could understand."

He added: "He enriched many people's lives. It's very sad.

"A little piece of Britain died yesterday which will never be replaced.

"He was an individual, he was a maverick, he was mercurial, he was magical, he was special, he was rare".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8256260.stm

I watched a program about him last night. I wouldn't want him as a father, but his cooking programs really made me laugh.

Gone bust for the last time

Very sad.

With all his foibles and idiosyncracies and personal problems, he was charismatic and did much to promote the core concept of Keep it Simple Stupid!

His series Floyd on Fish was particularly good.

In an age when Noveau Cuisine was trying to wreck gastronomy, Floyd took things back to simpler concepts.

I rated Floyd after Rick Stein.

Guest theboltonfury
Very sad.

With all his foibles and idiosyncracies and personal problems, he was charismatic and did much to promote the core concept of Keep it Simple Stupid!

His series Floyd on Fish was particularly good.

In an age when Noveau Cuisine was trying to wreck gastronomy, Floyd took things back to simpler concepts.

I rated Floyd after Rick Stein.

I listened to the radio this morning, only to hear that whining **** Anthony Worrall-Thompson say 'much of what Floyd cooked was really bad food'. It always looked lovely to me.

I guess it takes one to know one.

I listened to the radio this morning, only to hear that whining **** Anthony Worrall-Thompson say 'much of what Floyd cooked was really bad food'. It always looked lovely to me.

He's missing the point of cookery shows, they're entertainment.

If you want to improve your cooking you buy a book.

When I go for a meal I want to eat, not stare at some semi visually interesting mean portion of high cuisine!

I always got the impression I'd feel full after a Floyd meal and not ripped off!

Worrall-Thompson is a fat self-satisfied tosser IMHO.

In a period when celeb chefs made fortunes leveraging their TV cult status by publishing books and opening eateries, he is now on the cusp of bankruptcy apparently.

Floyd made decent cooking an approachable thing: rather than over-complicate it: and for me, that was one of his key values.

Worrall-Thompson is a fat self-satisfied tosser IMHO.

In a period when celeb chefs made fortunes leveraging their TV cult status by publishing books and opening eateries, he is now on the cusp of bankruptcy apparently.

Floyd made decent cooking an approachable thing: rather than over-complicate it: and for me, that was one of his key values.

AWT,short little fat arrogant TW@T

Guest theboltonfury
AWT,short little fat arrogant TW@T

It's rare a bald, ginger, dwarf makes it on TV. So in that sense, all credit to AWT. He is still a **** though.

Bloody hell....he was just on telly last night too, being interviewed by Keith Allen. Not a nice thing to say but he was quite obviously fvcked. You can't say he's had a boring life though. Definately the best TV chef, without a doubt.

Oh heck! Patrick Swayze and now Keith Floyd.

At this rate we will be out of celebrites by Christmas.

Five more series of Big Brother please

Fvck no....pass me my service revolver, quick!

I watched a programme called 'Keith on Keith' last night, where Keith Allen interviews him.

I went to bed not knowing he was dying, with some strong opinions and I woke up this morning surprised to see on TV that he had died.

So i'm not going to be two faced and give it 'sadly missed, great talent, legend etc'.

What I thought then and now was that he appeared to be a selfish, self obsessed drunk and a horrible bully, even to his family.

No surprise that he has been divorced four times.

He spent a lot of the programme describing everyone as c*nts but he appeared to be the biggest **** of the lot.

RIP Keith.

I watched a programme called 'Keith on Keith' last night, where Keith Allen interviews him.

I went to bed not knowing he was dying, with some strong opinions and I woke up this morning surprised to see on TV that he had died.

So i'm not going to be two faced and give it 'sadly missed, great talent, legend etc'.

What I thought then and now was that he appeared to be a selfish, self obsessed drunk and a horrible bully, even to his family.

No surprise that he has been divorced four times.

He spent a lot of the programme describing everyone as c*nts but he appeared to be the biggest **** of the lot.

RIP Keith.

No doubt much of that is true.But like all geniuses Floyd had major flaws.His programmes however,as has been observed by the Honourable member for Hovisshire South his programmes were great entertainment and he was as much fun in the flesh. I had an excellent lunch at one of his places near Totnes and he was constantly milling around mixing with the peasantry.And he was happy to sign both the bill and a book.

The guy was a fantastic TV chef and raconteur. A real genius. A great influence on me. Sadly missed. RIP.

And his food always looked so good, infused with his passion and joy. If only a few of the chefs I work with could take a little more inspiration from him!

The weird thing is I spotted a large article on him in the Daily Mail yesterday, over the shoulder of a customer in one of the pubs I work for, and sat there thinking how good it was to see he was still going strong.

i remember one episode abroad somewhere where he had cooked some dubious meat stew which he then invited his hostess to sample. when she wasn't impressed, he just shrugged his shoulders and accepted defeat, which kind of endeared me to him. things don't always work out.

edit: hey, i think i found the clip!

Floyd showed people that cooking delicious stew type dishes was easy. Obviously, back in the 80s, when he appeared on TV doing this, people were still getting over Cadbury's Smash, boil in the bag dishes and the stuff you added water to. He was passionate about what he ate and drank and introduced us to no nonsense frilly food, which is now lavished on us daily by these so called celebrity chefs. It's great watching, but would you actually cook like that? No.

He disappeared from our screens for many years and the last time I saw him, he was on Saturday Kitchen, looking very old, much older than his years and very, very slow and the sparkle, which he once had had gone. The alcohol over the years had obviously taken its toll.

My husband said that Floyd was his favouite chef. Shame he didn't take any recipes of Keith's on board over the years as never cooks!

RIP Keith - bottoms up!

I wonder if the meja knew he was about to die. He's been all over the TV and newspapers in the last few days.

I'd sum him up as a great bloke, good cook, grounded, naive, likeable, but unreliable. He drank a lot, smoked a lot, and pulled some cracking birds. I felt rather sorry for his daughter on Keith on Keith last night.

I wonder if the meja knew he was about to die. He's been all over the TV and newspapers in the last few days.

I'd sum him up as a great bloke, good cook, grounded, naive, likeable, but unreliable. He drank a lot, smoked a lot, and pulled some cracking birds. I felt rather sorry for his daughter on Keith on Keith last night.

I must admit to being shocked that he was only 65.If I had guessed I would have been a decade out.Before I visited his restaurant I thought I saw him in a restaurant in France.To my astonishment this chap spoke fluent French and was clearly a native,an absolute double however and even dressed like him.

I'm quite sure they did - between filming Keith on Keith (by the way I think Keith Allen is a sweary nob - all of Keith Floyd's bad language with none of Floyd's panache) and broadcast, they found out had had had bowel cancer so muct have known he had very a finite remaining time.

Floyd spent much time in France: and had businesses there.

He actually lived in Provence at Avignon, later in his life.

Guest theboltonfury
i remember one episode abroad somewhere where he had cooked some dubious meat stew which he then invited his hostess to sample. when she wasn't impressed, he just shrugged his shoulders and accepted defeat, which kind of endeared me to him. things don't always work out.

edit: hey, i think i found the clip!

Funny. Could you imagine the tantrum AWT would have thrown if someone had told him his food was under par?