House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Bites The Bullet

Mega

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I remember the TUC's of the 1970's..........they were BRILL.

Denis Healy "I tax the rich till the pips sqeake"

Mike

I remember watching them on the telly as a kid, it looked mad to me then, looks even madder now.

Composite this and brother that, god knows what it meant, mind you they all smoked like heros.

HOLA446
HOLA447
I remember watching them on the telly as a kid, it looked mad to me then, looks even madder now.

Composite this and brother that, god knows what it meant, mind you they all smoked like heros.

I knew a couple of hacks in the late 70s and their favourite hobby at the TUC conference was competing to spot the first TIGMOO.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

As an orator, Healey was a positive bore compared to Scargill. Though arguably, he caused a lot more damage.

And as for the bullet, I suspect it's more a case of it having been rammed down Gordo's throat via a feeding tube rather than voluntary maceration.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Watching the news last night, why would anyone believe Labour now? It was a different record only a few weeks ago...

I do ask silly questions...

we live in a land of goldfish....oo, there are bubbles...life is good, I wonder what its like up the other end...

oo there are no bubbles..life is poor, I wonder what its like up the other end...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Read the article but didn't see the most telling comment that was on the news interview broadcast. Brown clearly said something along the lines that public sector spending needs to be sustainable, the upshot of that clearly if you need public spending cuts is that for the past 10 years the increases in public sector spending was not sustainable.

HOLA4416
this is where democracy fails....you cant CUT your voters.

why not prune the high earners first...dont sack...reduce the remuneration...after all, anything over 25K IS A BONUS.

I've seen you mention this before. Do you really think that anyone earning above 25k should be singled out for extra tax? or that they should have their pay cut?

HOLA4417
I've seen you mention this before. Do you really think that anyone earning above 25k should be singled out for extra tax? or that they should have their pay cut?

publicsector salaries and bonuses cut by 50% over 25K . so a 30 k salary becomes 27.5, and a 100K becomes 62K a 25K remains.

great savings in salaries, NI, no redundancy and instant savings.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
He's going to use the 'c' word, what can that mean?

It's a sad day when the prime minister talks sense and it's the main news. Will we ever hear him utter the 'D' word?

Do you really think he will use the word 'cut'?

This is a man doesnt spend our taxes, he invests them. If i said to anyone that i invested £30 in the pub last night they would think i was crazy. But Gordon thinks the word 'investment' is appropriate when he is increasing the amount of our taxes spent on benefits payments.

Furthermore, when did we enter a recession? Global downturn - yes! World financial crisis - yes! But how long did it take for a single meber of the labour party to use the word recession? It was only when the figures were due out a couple of days later that they bit the bullet. But they still dress it up.

So, I predict Gordon will not use the word 'cut'. He will use the word 'choice'. We have to make public sector choices. If he is to bite the bullet at all he will use the word spending and describe his dilema as 'public sector spending choices'.

Edited by Nick Dastardly

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
publicsector salaries and bonuses cut by 50% over 25K . so a 30 k salary becomes 27.5, and a 100K becomes 62K a 25K remains.

great savings in salaries, NI, no redundancy and instant savings.

Wow, that's some policy.

How would you keep good staff? They'd all go into the private sector.

Reform the pensions, and stop early retirement, and generally cut waste yes, sure, but arbitrarily reduce salaries across the board? Good luck with that.

Not everyone in the civil service is in a non-job. I suspect that most of the police, forensic scientists, doctors, military officers etc., would all depart very quickly.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
How would you keep good staff? They'd all go into the private sector.

Really? If this ever happened (and i dont for one moment think it will) I believe many would stay in public sector even if we weren't in a global economic whatever its callled today.

More power and less accountability.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8255045.stm