House Price Crash Forum
only one

First Time Buyers Would Sell Organs For Deposit

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more surreal ....

Skint First Time Buyers in North West Would Sell Organs for Deposit. People in the North West consider selling major organs and undergoing medical trials.

WHAT: Interview to discuss the research findings and what they mean for people in the North West

WHO: Andy Doylend, Executive Director, Circle Anglia Housing

WHEN: Wednesday 16th September, all day

CONTACT: Olly Kendall, 020 7824 1866, 07793 224 749, olly@insightpa.com

Wannabe home-owners in the North West are going to extreme lengths such as gambling, postponing weddings, contemplating medical trials and even selling major organs in order to raise money to buy their first home according to new research published today by Circle Anglia – one of the UK’s leading providers of affordable housing.

According to the survey of 2,000 people, 16 per cent of people in the North West of England say they are so desperate to get on the housing ladder that they have turned to gambling in the hope of winning enough money to buy their first house, with a further seven per cent saying they’d contemplate gambling if they got really desperate.

The research, which was conducted by Circle Anglia to raise awareness of affordable home ownership options, also found that an extraordinary 12 per cent of people in the North West say they ‘would consider’ undergoing medical trials. Meanwhile, two per cent of people in the region say they would think about selling a major organ, if it meant they could purchase their first property – that represents 124,000 people across the whole of the North West.

People living in the North West of England are the most likely to stay on home turf during the summer months: 14 per cent say they have cancelled foreign holidays – higher than any other region in the UK. In Yorkshire just four per cent of people have cancelled a foreign holiday in order to save up for a deposit. And while the stay-at-home Northerners are at home over the summer, they are surfing the internet and selling personal possessions. 28 percent say they have sold personal possessions on eBay to save for a house compared, for example, to just 19 per cent of Londoners.

Other things people in the North West have done to save money for a house deposit include:

- Selling items on eBay (23 per cent)

- Moving in with mum and dad (five per cent)

- Pawning belongings (two per cent)

More traditional ways of saving money were also revealed, with six per cent of people in the North West saying they have cancelled their wedding with a further eight per cent saying they would put off their big day if it meant they could buy a house.

Circle Anglia’s research reveals that while many people will go to extreme lengths to get money for a mortgage deposit, few people in the North West (three percent) think that they could be eligible for affordable shared ownership schemes such as New Build HomeBuy. New Build HomeBuy allows purchasers to buy as little as 25 per cent share of the property – meaning they would need to save far less for a deposit – and then pay affordable rent on the remainder.

Andy Doylend, Executive Director of Operations, Circle Anglia said: “A very low number of people in the North West think they are eligible for affordable ownership opportunities– so it is crucial that anyone thinking of buying a property does thorough research to find out what schemes are available. Many may well be pleasantly surprised that the deposit they need is much less than they think.â€

People interested in finding out more about shared ownership schemes should log on to http://www.circleanglia-yourhome.org/.

So to sum up the article - you don't need to sell your kidney just buy a shared ownership property from our housing association so we can get a few more dodgy new builds off our books. :lol:

So to sum up the article - you don't need to sell your kidney just buy a shared ownership property from our housing association so we can get a few more dodgy new builds off our books. :lol:

They'd donate their own kidneys to get those places off their books at the moment.

So I'm told by someone that works for one, at any rate. She does their books...

A nation of wannabe-landlords where the majority of the populace frown upon renting. In fact, they'd rather sell a kidney than do it.

Sadly this shows just how crazy and property obsessed this country has become.

I wonder if the government will one day introduce incentives, such as a council house / shared ownership, in exchange for compulsory organ donation? (Upon death, of course... well, at least initially).

I wouldn't be surprised.

Its going beyond even pretending to be about rational economic decisions. I wonder if people think they are going to be a different person if they own a home.

I've seen it with wanting to relocate to a different city or even country. People think their life will be totally different in that new place. Brutal reality, wherever you go, there you are.

Interesting examples of desperation:

- Gambling = STUPID

- Organ selling = Desperate

- Putting of a wedding till you can afford it + a house = rational, surely?

Its going beyond even pretending to be about rational economic decisions. I wonder if people think they are going to be a different person if they own a home.

I've seen it with wanting to relocate to a different city or even country. People think their life will be totally different in that new place. Brutal reality, wherever you go, there you are.

A lot of the desire to own comes from the fear of never being able to own your own home. All this "get on the property ladder" guff. I confess I believed it in my first few years in London (previous bubble) but saw through it eventually. I only ending up buying because it was hugely cheaper than renting at the time (94 / 95 - about 60% of the cost). The "property only goes up" lie still holds sway but it's weakening....

There are some real advantages to living somewhere nice (you tend to be surrounded by nice people) but agree that generally you make your own bed.

What is 'traditional' about putting off a wedding? Traditionally, you just got married on the cheap - groom in his best suit, bride in something made by her mum, couple of hymns, pics taken by the brother in law, drinks and sausage rolls in the function room of the Rose and Crown, week's honeymoon in Filey.

The minimum cost of a CofE wedding is about £300.

Now it seems weddings have to have the planning and budget of a hollywood blockbuster!

yikes - does this show just how averse to saving we really are.

Option 1: Come out of education, save for 5 - 10 years, use the money to buy a house.

Option 2: Come out of education, live with parents, spend that 100% disposable income on booze, holidays and an iPhone, then sell kidney.

I chose option 1.

BTW is it just my mates that are moaning about house prices yet have signed up to £1k iPhone contracts. It's sad, I went through the calcs with the guy next to me just last week, when we factored in a few thing like smoking, phones etc I was able to show that he'd have about 20k by now (we're heading into 30's booooo!). Even more if he'd made an effort to save.

I do have a view that many of us think we are much more wealthy than we really are. Having the time for recreation, owning gadgets, etc all requires wealth. We think our parents were much better off but my parents only bought a house by working long hours and giving up holidays, luxuries, etc. Yet I see people fresh into work who have not yet accumulated any wealth yet spending. I know we all agree on this one because HPC is anti credit and borrowing and pro working and saving, but I feel like ranting anyway lol.

I understand this is a reflection of my peers and I fully appreciate that some people have very different circumstances. It is those that have not had the options that I feel sorry for. But my mates who made the wrong choices, you can't live a "rich" lifestyle for 10 years and not have to pay for it. You made your choice... now get saving or shut up! (or sell a kidney? :unsure::blink: )

Edited by Orbital

It's been sold as a marvellous thing but in reality of course it's a big pile of stress and a big hole for your money and time. Renting really isn't so bad in many respects.