House Price Crash Forum

Not direct experience of Christchurch centre but we are looking in Mudeford, Highcliffe and Barton, not so far away, and prices are definitely coming down. I am sent houses that I looked at 6 months ago at £380k, now repriced at £335k. We are very reluctant to buy anything at more than a 10% discount of the asking price. And loads of properties that were sold 2 or 3 months ago are coming back on all the time.

However, some of the sellers are still reluctant to drop their prices, but as many again are now prepared to go some way towards it, it appears to us.

Do what we have done - spend a long time getting to know what is overpriced and what is not. It has taken us at least 6 months. And get free from your own house sale, whatever you have to do, even if you have to drop a bit yourself. Then you can negotiate better. B)B)

Not direct experience of Christchurch centre but we are looking in Mudeford, Highcliffe and Barton, not so far away, and prices are definitely coming down.  I am sent houses that I looked at 6 months ago at £380k, now repriced at £335k.  We are very reluctant to buy anything at more than a 10% discount of the asking price.  And loads of properties that were sold 2 or 3 months ago are coming back on all the time.

However, some of the sellers are still reluctant to drop their prices, but as many again are now prepared to go some way towards it, it appears to us.

Do what we have done - spend a long time getting to know what is overpriced and what is not.  It has taken us at least 6 months.  And get free from your own house sale, whatever you have to do, even if you have to drop a bit yourself.  Then you can negotiate better. B)  B)

Hey I live in Mudeford and work in Highcliffe !!!! I think prices in Christchurch are holding up farly well. Yes they are slipping a bit but not as much as some areas. I have seen some properties get sold very quick but i dont know if a lower offer was accepted.

This is interesting http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...s/html/19uc.stm

but it may only cover up to March 2005

Edited by penbat1

penbat1,

I agree that prices are holding up quite well at present.

However, the danger is in the pipeline. For example, a simple analysis of BH23 on Nethouseprices of the number of transactions for May 2005 compared with May 2004 shows just 30 sales in May 2005 against 115 for the previous May. i.e. sales are down by a massive 75%!!! This statistic combined with the 30% odd increase in the number of properties for sale, can only in the medium term lead to one result.

If such a shift in supply/demand were to happen in the stock market, the prices woud of course change instantly. However, the housing market is not that liquid - changes in the fundamentals take a while to work through.

IMHO, the south coast, like many places in the UK is in a stand off between buyers who are reluctant to reduce the price from what they or the agaent said at some pint their house was worth, and buyers who are unwilling or unable to pay the asking prices - hence volumes have collapsed.

Sooner or later something will hav to give - given that the average salaries of those in the area are unlikely to suddenly rise, almost certainly the prices will slip as forced sellers (divorce, death, debt) gradually emerge as normal.

In any other market, if supply increases and demand falls, everyone knows prices will fall. However, in the property market, we seem unwilling to accept that this economic certainty will occur - probably becasue will cannot see past our own self-interest.