House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TylerDurden

Help Me Out

I'm pretty much done. I cant sit back and wait another 5 years for property to come in line with wages. I want out. For the first time in my life im struggling to see a future for myself in the UK. And its pretty depressing as i've allways been pretty patriotic.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or advice for finding another country to move, settle and raise children in.

My basic requirements would be, standard of living, freedom of children, house values in line with wages, and it would have to be near the coast,

I'm a Carpenter, my wife is a retail manager.

I know it seems lame to come and ask this sort of question, but its never really crossed my mind before so ive never given much thought. I could do with a few pointers that i could look into. But please, nobody mention those British resort towns in spain where ex pats go to drink themselves to death in the sun, surrounded by other British people. It has its place i guess, but its not for me. if im leaving the Uk, i'm leaving the Uk.

I'm pretty much done. I cant sit back and wait another 5 years for property to come in line with wages. I want out. For the first time in my life im struggling to see a future for myself in the UK. And its pretty depressing as i've allways been pretty patriotic.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or advice for finding another country to move, settle and raise children in.

My basic requirements would be, standard of living, freedom of children, house values in line with wages, and it would have to be near the coast,

I'm a Carpenter, my wife is a retail manager.

I know it seems lame to come and ask this sort of question, but its never really crossed my mind before so ive never given much thought. I could do with a few pointers that i could look into. But please, nobody mention those British resort towns in spain where ex pats go to drink themselves to death in the sun, surrounded by other British people. It has its place i guess, but its not for me. if im leaving the Uk, i'm leaving the Uk.

This has been done to death.

How will you live?

Can you speak any language other than English? If not your options are limited immediately. Same questions for your wife. You will not be able to get by on English alone in, say, France.

How much capital would you have?

If you've got some cash and only speak English I'd go for NZ or Aus, it's a long way away but answers your requirements best. Prices don't reflect local wages though. Better hope that carpenters are on the immigration "wanted" list.

I hear Kabul is an up and coming place for Brits to consider, houses are cheap but may need a bit of redecorating or the odd spot of re-plastering, exports are doing well, and there's a new multi-cultural experiment going on with many Americans, English, Australians etc out there at the minute.

This has been done to death.

How will you live?

Can you speak any language other than English? If not your options are limited immediately. Same questions for your wife. You will not be able to get by on English alone in, say, France.

How much capital would you have?

If you've got some cash and only speak English I'd go for NZ or Aus, it's a long way away but answers your requirements best. Prices don't reflect local wages though. Better hope that carpenters are on the immigration "wanted" list.

I appreciate what your saying.

I would learn the language, and i'd throw myself into it and be able to speak and communicate within 1 year, I do like france. great surf and lovely people, but prices are high, and they dont really like Brits moving there.

I know Australia fits the bill, but its not for me, too far, too hot, too ladish.

I think the US is great but hard to get into (my Green Card application still chunters on).

NZ, Aus or Canada.

Australia includes Tasmania so you're not stuck in semi-desert.

Or... what about a couple of years on somewhere like Majorca, Malta, the Canaries. See if you like it.

If you're there and working you won't feel part of the ex-pat gin and tonic brigade (unless you want, I'd be happy with that).