House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CountryMove

Increase In Narcissism Among Women

Interesting article (Daily Mail, sorry!) about an increase in narcissism, which seems to be partly behind (or is it because of) all the spending/consumerism/indebtedness of the past decade. The article talks about women in particular but obviously it's not just women who can be narcissistic....

"According to the American research, there has been a 67 per cent increase in (narcissism) over the past two decades, mainly among women.

An estimated ten per cent of the population suffers from narcissism as a full-blown personality disorder.

The symptoms include: a grandiose sense of self-importance; the belief that he or she is special or unique and in some way better - either intellectually or physically - than others; a requirement for excessive admiration; a sense of entitlement, whether to fame, fortune, success and happiness or simply to special treatment; enviousness of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her; an inability to empathise; an inability to admit a mistake; and haughty behaviour or attitude.

What researchers have also identified, and are far more worried about, is what has been described as 'normal' narcissism - a cultural shift that has seen even non-narcissistic people seduced by the emphasis on material wealth, physical appearance and celebrity worship.

The researchers believe our culture brings out narcissistic behaviour in almost all of us.

They blame the internet (where 'fame' is a click away), reality television (where the lure of fame without talent is most prevalent), easy credit (which enables people to buy far beyond their ability to pay), celebrity worship, our highly consumerist, competitive and individualistic society, and a generation of indulgent parents who have raised their children to think they're special, amazing and perfect.

According to Twenge, this focus on self-admiration has caused a cultural flight from reality to the land of grandiose fantasy.

We have phony rich people (who actually have massive mortgages and piles of debt), phony beauty (via plastic surgery), phony celebrities (via reality TV and YouTube), phony genius students (with grade inflation) and phony friends (with the social networking explosion).

TOP DOG: Narcissists are most likely to end up in leadership roles despite the fact they often don't make good leaders, according to a U.S. survey"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...bulousness.html

Interesting article (Daily Mail, sorry!) about an increase in narcissism, which seems to be partly behind (or is it because of) all the spending/consumerism/indebtedness of the past decade. The article talks about women in particular but obviously it's not just women who can be narcissistic....

"According to the American research, there has been a 67 per cent increase in (narcissism) over the past two decades, mainly among women.

An estimated ten per cent of the population suffers from narcissism as a full-blown personality disorder.

The symptoms include: a grandiose sense of self-importance; the belief that he or she is special or unique and in some way better - either intellectually or physically - than others; a requirement for excessive admiration; a sense of entitlement, whether to fame, fortune, success and happiness or simply to special treatment; enviousness of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her; an inability to empathise; an inability to admit a mistake; and haughty behaviour or attitude.

What researchers have also identified, and are far more worried about, is what has been described as 'normal' narcissism - a cultural shift that has seen even non-narcissistic people seduced by the emphasis on material wealth, physical appearance and celebrity worship.

The researchers believe our culture brings out narcissistic behaviour in almost all of us.

They blame the internet (where 'fame' is a click away), reality television (where the lure of fame without talent is most prevalent), easy credit (which enables people to buy far beyond their ability to pay), celebrity worship, our highly consumerist, competitive and individualistic society, and a generation of indulgent parents who have raised their children to think they're special, amazing and perfect.

According to Twenge, this focus on self-admiration has caused a cultural flight from reality to the land of grandiose fantasy.

We have phony rich people (who actually have massive mortgages and piles of debt), phony beauty (via plastic surgery), phony celebrities (via reality TV and YouTube), phony genius students (with grade inflation) and phony friends (with the social networking explosion).

TOP DOG: Narcissists are most likely to end up in leadership roles despite the fact they often don't make good leaders, according to a U.S. survey"

'Because I'm worth it.'

That is more depressing than most things on the main forum, also it belongs there as it is strongly related to the debt boom and stupid lefty psychobabble about no-one being allowed to feel like a loser.

Stop it!

:P

The disproportionately individualised society is not a healthy one, indeed.

What other options are there to modern folks, though? Nobody is nice to you even (?) the guvnment - the ones supposed to serve the society's best interests - screws one over time and again.

At a worldly level ... no wonder everybody is obsessed with themselves ... a self defence mechanism?

Aidanapword

I think people should think they are important, special and unique. If you dont think these things of yourself, no one else going to either. The rest of the list is a bit ott. However one persons strong character is another person overbearing.

"According to the American research, there has been a 67 per cent increase in (narcissism) over the past two decades, mainly among women."

What. no decimal point? No 67.567% increase? Sloppy research. How do you measure narcism FFS? That statement alone shows this report is complete crap.

Oh, and an increase in narcism in women would be impossible to spot! :ph34r:

(joke, joke...)

I think people should think they are important, special and unique. If you dont think these things of yourself, no one else going to either. The rest of the list is a bit ott. However one persons strong character is another person overbearing.

Er, yes, sort of.

The problem is that this is far too easily confused with being ill-mannered, not giving a sh1t about anyone else and basking in ignorance as if it was some kind of quality or achievement.

Morons thinking that they're "important, special and unique" has caused far more problems than it has solved IMO. A lot of people who think like that are in the house of Commons, and a lot more are on television setting a p1ss-poor example to the young.

Quite so if they are, if not they are delusional and that's not healthy for the individual or society.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...l#ixzz0R4lqTTRY

Ummm ... yes. But these are not the same as 'more important than anyone else' which is somewhat less than a yard short of not giving a flying hoot for anyone else.

*sigh*

I do believe I am of some importance (not significantly more than other folks mind!), special (to my wife, and the folks I love) and unique ( ;) ... no Qs there! lol). But I will not (by trivial example) drive like a ***** because it risks (even trivially) the welfare of others.

Edit: for typo

Aidanapword

Heartily agree with this, I meet more and more people, mostly in the workplace where I can't steer clear, who behave this way.

This also applies to managers who can't manage, who think their job is about appearances. It ain't. You get found out in the end though.

Pride comes before a...

Guest AuntJess

I always take stats with a pinch of salt. :rolleyes: Mayhap 'cos I taught it at HE level for a few years - and in FE for even longer! - and know how they can be made to sit up and sing 'Swanee'... if you want them to.

I blame this excessive spending on the increase in money which SOME parents have been happy to give kids. Kids grow up thinking that they are entitled to everything they want.

A nephew of mine was brought up this way. He had gifts lavished on him from a VERY early age. There was nowt he did not have in the toy/gadget line. He is now an over spender and is in financial difficulties. Too late he has realised that money is not for flinging about at any new gadget that comes onto the market.

SOME females do this about clothes - with men it is gadgets. IMO. I think it is all down to parental values.

Sadly with the increase in people choosing NOT to work and being able to run a pretty cushy lifestyle - courtesy of the taxpayer - I don't see any abatement. Let's face it, them wot spend unwisely will get bailed out by HMG - with OUR money.

This is not surprising, considering how many women actually believe that the lives of their idols in "Sex and the City" and all the romantic comedies are real/realistic.

You know, the ones where he's ALWAYS an investment banker and she's invariably working for a media company. I could name 50 movies where the guy takes endless abuse and in the end all is well.

Fun enough if you take it for what it is; shallow materialistic entertainment. Less fun if you realise that the bints think it's real and expect the same.

A bit like if I expected life to be like Vin Diesel's in XXX.

Historically, the shrink profession did not believe that women could be narcissists and for about 100 years the profession, mainly male domianted, decided that only men could be narcissists... it was a bit like the 'ladies do not sweat' mentality which was totally without any logic at all.

Quite simply, the male dominated shrink profession decided that women did not suffer from NPD and hence did not go looking for it - it simply was off the radar and the bottom line is that for decades countless women went undiagnosed and, worse, the people in their lives - parents, children, partners - lived through a hell of living with a female NPD. I think women generally were diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder rather than NPD but the difference between the two is just one of a lack of empathy as far as I can make out.

I think I am right in saying that it is only in the last 20 years or so, perhaps later, that modern shrinks have begun to look at NPD in relation to women. Modern shrinks no longer allow sociopathic women to hide behind the diagnosis of them not being NPD when in fact they are.

I suspect Dr. Tara, if she reads this thread, could give more info on this.

I think whoever posted this must have an over inflated sense of fabulousness, given that there is already a post in the off topic section :-)

Yes, just noticed it there. Don't shout at me I am as fragile as a quail's egg on the outside and as a vulnerable as pippy long-stocking on the inside... hey, wasn't she a nut-job?

(Puts on macho voice) Right, I am off to defend the Alamo with John Wayne!

:unsure:

It would be if you lost some weight , packed on muscle and started doing extreme sports.

That'd be the easiest, I already do extreme sports and spend more time lifting weights than I probably should. It's the secret service job with all the annexes which can't really see happening :)

That'd be the easiest, I already do extreme sports and spend more time lifting weights than I probably should. It's the secret service job with all the annexes which can't really see happening :)

I used to do extreme sports until I realised how fecking stupid I was :rolleyes:

But how long till the pro's are phonies too?

I mean theres some pretty diabolical attempts at being a celebrity on youtube, but still no worse than the average BBC/ITV sitcom.

Then you have people like Denninger, might not have the viewing figures of CNBC but at least he isnt a total fraud.

It time people realised the phonies and those paid millions arent so different, in talent or anything else.

Good grief!

How right up to the minute researchers and the media are!

It is quite obvious to anyone with half a brain cell and a batch of GCSEs that since circa 1980 and increasingly, people have over-focused on their appearance and fashion, to the whole detriment of Western society.

And since the last group of mentally retarded parents have over-indulged their female offspring and treated as if they really were "Our little Princess", these poor kids have grown up with a hugely inflated self-opinion. One only has to see the way they stand, walk, pout and pose at every opportunity.

As an example of idiot parents slavishly trying to emulate celebs, recently a local mother proudly informed me how for her "Little Princess's" Prom (And there is me thinking we are in England), she had spent £250 on a dress; a fortune on hair styling, false nails and etc; plus, she was hiring a stretch limo to take this braindead bimbo and her illiterate mates to the Prom!

Now what expectations will this poor little girly grow up with?

How could she afford to keep up the pretence when she stacks shelves at Chavdas or works in a grungy call centre?

These retards live in a total World of fantasy!

No wonder NuLabia manage so successfully to con so many for so long.............

:angry:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm naturally good looking and have a net worth of about zero.