House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Is Food Getting More Expensive?

Both?

Real food is getting more expensive, maybe only back up to a historical level but as I've only been an adult under new labour (buying my own food) it comes as a bit of a surprise.

Or am I just a tightwad?

You're not and it is.

Last night I economised by using up a tin of new potatoes (best by June 1994 :P ) cleared a few years ago from kitchen of Mr B's ancient aunt after she died. It's been in the cupboard for at least 4 years.

We'd just come back from hols and I couldn't face shopping. It went in a casserole of sausages and tinned toms and very nice it was too.

The discount supermarkets are becoming pricier.

I used to not look at the prices in LIDL but know that a weeks food would always come up in £10 cheaper than at Morrisons. That differential has been falling rapidly as the LIDL prices steadily crank up.

Is the honeymoon over for Aldi and Lidl, who have presented themselves as much cheaper than the major supermarkets?

Will the big boys slowly squeeze them into insignificance?

Or am I just a tightwad?

You are,I am,it is.

Just went to Morrison's 4 cans of tuna on offer £2.60. So I picked up two packs.At the checkout they asked for £7.99. Apparently one pack was in water not brine,justifying? a £2.79 increase.I told the manage you could put it in Champagne for less than that and feed the Shadow Cabinet.Sorry they said a mistake.No wonder their profits are up,watch out for it.

You're not and it is.

Last night I economised by using up a tin of new potatoes (best by June 1994 :P ) cleared a few years ago from kitchen of Mr B's ancient aunt after she died. It's been in the cupboard for at least 4 years.

We'd just come back from hols and I couldn't face shopping. It went in a casserole of sausages and tinned toms and very nice it was too.

Are you still alive?

Are you still alive?

I used to work for the co-op.we tinned spuds,meat and lots of other veg.There is no use by date for tinned food.At least in theory it should be ok after a thousand years.

I would say quite the reverse.

Ever since I got my own price-reduction label-gun, I find that food has never been so cheap.

That reminds me of when we were kids.Used to go into Woollie's with a pencil with the rubber on the end and change the prices on the Airfix kits.The gormless counter girls neither knew or cared.

Guest Parry aka GOD
I would say quite the reverse.

Ever since I got my own price-reduction label-gun, I find that food has never been so cheap.

Genius!!!

Both?

Real food is getting more expensive, maybe only back up to a historical level but as I've only been an adult under new labour (buying my own food) it comes as a bit of a surprise.

Presumably when more people start dying of starvation the price of Soylent Green will fall.

Popped to Sainsburys yesterday, I know its not he cheapest but its walking distance so saves me fuel money.

Looked for a chicken. the average price for a decent healthy reared chicken was 10 quid.

10 quid for a chicken.

i'll just repeat that again.

10 quid, for a chicken!

Guest Parry aka GOD
Popped to Sainsburys yesterday, I know its not he cheapest but its walking distance so saves me fuel money.

Looked for a chicken. the average price for a decent healthy reared chicken was 10 quid.

10 quid for a chicken.

10 quid, for a chicken!

Fresh chicken breast is about a quid a kilo here. Nice too.

Healthy food ain't that dear to be honest. If you're on a western income that is.

10 quid for a chicken.

10 quid, for a chicken!

12 quid in my local farm shop.