House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redwine

Camping -cars

I have just been watching a tv programe it seems that lots of retired people sell there property and buy a camping-car to live in but they are very modern with all of todays mod-cons satellite tv etc

They spend winter in Morrocco and travel back to Europe in the summer it looks like the good life any thoughts ?

I have just been watching a tv programe it seems that lots of retired people sell there property and buy a camping-car to live in but they are very modern with all of todays mod-cons satellite tv etc

They spend winter in Morrocco and travel back to Europe in the summer it looks like the good life any thoughts ?

I always wonder what happens if they get nicked when you have all your records, correspondence, documents etc. in them. It's like your house burning down but far more common.

Big in the US with the "snowbirds" coming down to Florida every winter for months from the northern US / Canada.

You need a lot of nerve not to have a permanent base at retirement age, even if it is just the offer of a spare room and postal address at a relative's house.

I'm toying with the idea of a cheap camper as it would act as a spur for planning more weekends away.

I always wonder what happens if they get nicked when you have all your records, correspondence, documents etc. in them. It's like your house burning down but far more common.

Big in the US with the "snowbirds" coming down to Florida every winter for months from the northern US / Canada.

You need a lot of nerve not to have a permanent base at retirement age, even if it is just the offer of a spare room and postal address at a relative's house.

I'm toying with the idea of a cheap camper as it would act as a spur for planning more weekends away.

I've just got back from a weekend camping trip with a few friends. One of them has got a 'new' 20 year old vw camper van. It cost her circa £5k and after some customisation she really rates it. Not as big as her previous Transit based camper, but that got nicked! One word of warning is that they are a real target for thieves, so even though it's a 5k vehicle she's fitted an immobiliser and 2 wheel clamps.

edit for typo

Old people in huge RVs guzzling up the last of the fuel to spite their grandchildren. And the tw@ts are in front of me doing about 30Kmh. Kill them all :D

They are called grey nomads in oz and this trend is also rising. I haven’t heard of any horror stories other than running out of fuel in the middle of the desert. My view is that sooner or later they will tire of it and require a permanent fixed abode. Best that they rent their house it with a plan to return.

Me and the family are going on a two week holiday in the South Island of NZ this Christmas and doing the Winnebago bit so this will be a good sample of what its like. Apparently wireless broadband is not an issue, so I am told.

I just got back from a weekend camping. I went in a 2wd but the rest had 4wd and we spent a lot of time driving on the beach, good fun no doubt. But the amount of packing and unpacking of all the gear cleaning etc to me just isn't worth the bother.

I hope you arent trying to do the whole of SI in 2 weeks, that's hard work

No definetly not. I have a route plan but at the moment it is undocumented, as it was devised in concert with a Kiwi, in a pub, in a mining town. I need to write it down before I go.

Drop me a line if you need any help